• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who doesn't leave an extra tip?

SILLYANDI said:
OK, before you start flaming me-I waited tables in high school and to put myself through college and was very happy to be employed (minimum wage was better than none at all)-the tips were all gravy.
I work in a public service industry now, but no one would EVER think of tipping me for doing my day to day job (although I get an occassional thank you card or homebaked cookies when I go above and beyond) and I would never expect it just for doing my job.
When did it become common place or an expectation to get a tip for doing one's job in an "average" way?

Somewhere along the line (I guess after you finished college?) it became general practice for waitstaff to be paid less than minimum wage. Most make under $3 an hour. So, while I understand your analogy (and agree that there are problems with our system), I think a more appropriate comparison would be if you showed up for work one day and your boss told you he was cutting you down to half pay but would let the public decide to drop off extra money for you if they felt you were doing well at your job. Oh, but you'd still be expected to pay the same percentage in taxes as you do based on your current pay. I wish waitstaff were paid well enough that they didn't have to rely on tips, it would make everything easier on everyone. :confused3

2.13 a hour plus tips..Really you dont see a pay check because for what you do make they take taxes out..

Mariposa said:
Somewhere along the line (I guess after you finished college?) it became general practice for waitstaff to be paid less than minimum wage. Most make under $3 an hour. So, while I understand your analogy (and agree that there are problems with our system), I think a more appropriate comparison would be if you showed up for work one day and your boss told you he was cutting you down to half pay but would let the public decide to drop off extra money for you if they felt you were doing well at your job. Oh, but you'd still be expected to pay the same percentage in taxes as you do based on your current pay. I wish waitstaff were paid well enough that they didn't have to rely on tips, it would make everything easier on everyone. :confused3

Actually SillyandI's profile says she is in California. There is no sub minimum wage here. Servers are paid at least $6.75 an hour. I'm curious how people feel about this. Do you still feel that tipping is manditory in California since the servers are making the same amount minimum as all other worker?

Shelly

LandBoatRide said:
Also, my understanding is that gratuity does not go directly to the server's pocket like traditional cash and credit card tickets. Rather, it goes on their Disney paycheck (which means it is reported for tax purposes). Not a big deal for those of used to ALL of our income being reported, but for career servers, this is a major change for the worse.

Reporting ALL of your income is and always has been required by law. If servers want more income they should earn it by providing great service (which I reward with an appropriate tip) instead of cheating on their taxes.

The Sweetness said:
Here's a compulsive over tipper's POV...

I think that 18% is sufficient unless there is exceptional service (personally I am a 20% girl, unless the tip is already added).

This could easily, maybe even easier occour at a buffet. The tables require MUCH more maintainence IMO.

For exceptional service at any TS restaurant, where I didnt order anything extra (ie a kids meal at a non buffet/ fam stlye...) I will gladly show my appreciation w a $5 on the table. I just feel like *above average attention deserves recognition :wizard:
I have found that the Buffets at WDW hae the worst service of all, thier only jobs are to refill drinks and keep the table clear of dishes. Since they never seem to refill the drinks at the buffets they are not doing 50% of thier job. 18% is way over tipping. Here is my rule for tipping:
Poor Service $0.01-5% Depending on how bad of service it was.
Acceptable Service: 5%-14% (usually 10%)
Expected Service: 15%-18%
Exceptional Service: 19%+

I am not a cheap tipper, but in return I must get good service and if I have to ask for refills when they are free that is not good service, they may ask me before refilling or just automatically refill at thier option, but they should check every 5 minutes or so at the most, really if the gass gets to about half it should be refilled by bringing out a new glass in Buffet settings, if they have too many table to do this, then Disney should put more people working there.

maddiemouse said:
I will be at Disney in Sept. on the free dining plan, I plan on leaving extra for every meal unless the server intentionally dumps a bowl of soup on my head. I feel blessed and grateful to be able to afford a trip like this, and don't mind paying it forward......bread upon the waters.

I will also be leaving extra unless that same server dumps a bowl on my head. Anyone who has ever waited tables knows what a hard,sometimes frustrating, job it can be. They deserve at least 20% for adequate service and more for exceptional. No, I really can't afford it, but I am putting away dollar bills now in my change saving can that will be designated for mousekeeping and waitstaff.

pperfectmom said:
I will also be leaving extra unless that same server dumps a bowl on my head. Anyone who has ever waited tables knows what a hard,sometimes frustrating, job it can be. They deserve at least 20% for adequate service and more for exceptional. No, I really can't afford it, but I am putting away dollar bills now in my change saving can that will be designated for mousekeeping and waitstaff.

Were we maybe separated at birth? I'm doing the exact same thing... in fact, I force myself to buy quarters from from my own self to do my laundry :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter