• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who doesn't leave an extra tip?

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Servers already get an 18% tip fro DDP meals.
2) Unless REALLY great service, this is enough for me to tip. *
3) Also, tipping extra makes the DDP less of a value and sometimes a loss.

* Besides, there are ways they increase their tips. They frequently recommend things extra things you would not normally order necause they are paid on the total of the tab. This way they can increase their tips without too much extra work.

I am in agreement with this. When we went with DDP (one time we paid for the dining plan, another time we got it free) we paid extra tip only if the service deemed them worthy of more than 18% tip. Sometimes we tipped extra because we felt they deserved it- other times we didn't.

Heck no I'm not tipping extra! Disney gets enough of my money as it is. And heck, the wait staff probably makes a helluva lot more money a year than most of us do.

I will be at Disney in Sept. on the free dining plan, I plan on leaving extra for every meal unless the server intentionally dumps a bowl of soup on my head. I feel blessed and grateful to be able to afford a trip like this, and don't mind paying it forward......bread upon the waters.

Well, I really have to pinch pennies to go to Disney. I know some would say not to go if I can't afford to leave an extra tip, but 18% is about what I normally leave for good service at other restaurants. At Le Cellier, our bill was $130, so 18% was $23.60. We were there right at an hour, so to me, that is a pretty good wage. Our waitress was waiting on 3-4 other tables, so if they all tipped at least 15%, she was getting PAID. I don't make near that as a teacher, and nobody ever deliberates over whether they should tip ME.

So at Chef Mickey's, I believe it was 27.99 each, so $56 and 18% tip is $10.08. At CM's, our waitress seemed to be waiting on 6-7 tables, so still a pretty good wage.

I will most likely tip extra at some places in September since the DDP is free for us. I think it will be more at the less expensive restaurants, since the server makes less overall there. I had never thought about it, but the servers at the buffets do do a lot during the meal.

Marsha

When you factor in the prices that Disney charges at their restaurants, 18% is a very good tip. DDP TS meals for myself, DW, DD3, routinely run well over $100, especially when ordering drinks. At home or off site, the same quality meals would cost us half that, and we would receive the same service from the waitstaff, who at a 20% tip would earn a lot less.

When we did the gold plan in the past we always ordered alcohol, so we tipped on that and just added a little more to make the included tip 20%. That's what we normally tip though. In Dec we had the DDE card and just basicly gave them the 20% the card took off.

In Oct, we will be on the DDP and I'm sure we will leave a little extra when we pay for alcohol to bring the tip up to 20%.

It always has baffled me why people don't tip well at buffets. Those servers do alot. They bring drinks, remove tons of plates. Why is that not worth a good tip? :confused3

shelleybaxter said:
That being said, if I ever had HORRIBLE service I wouild request a manager and have the inclusive tip removed.
Um, okay... while discussing horrible service with the manager is the correct action, there's no way they can or will remove the inclusive/included tip. How would you propose that be done?

patsal said:
I feel the 18% is a fair tip for decent service, if the service is above and beyond then I leave more, if not then I just leave it at that. I also tipped extra if we ordered above the plan or something special was done for us--when we ate at Garden Grill for example the waiter did not bring a dessert for the 18 month old--she is the baby in a group of 6 kids ranging from 14 down to her--she wants what they get or all H*** will break loose.
Most likely the waiter didn't bring a dessert for the 18-month old because he thought she'd just share off someone else's plate like she did with the dinner, combined with unless he was told, he couldn't know that's how she'd react to not getting what everyone else did.

micminnieapolis said:
I was shocked to hear what the servers are paid until I found out that it's standard for FL. A couple of years ago it was only about $3.00 per hour so they really rely on tips! We use the DDE and always turn our 20% savings over to our server without question. The kids on the college program do pay for their rooms and food out of their own pocket.
I agree restaurant servers get paid poorly and do rely on tips for a good portion of their income. But, um, just for the record? Every Cast Member pays for her/his own food, accommodations, etc of of their own respective pockets :) Many of them even support families on their Disney income.

Now, to answer the question :teeth: Last year, I tipped extra for extra service - if the server helped my maximize the value (not the cost, since it was free) of the dining plan with suggestions or by offering information I didn't know, yes, I tipped extra - and I will do the same this year.

Sonno said:
Heck no I'm not tipping extra! Disney gets enough of my money as it is. And heck, the wait staff probably makes a helluva lot more money a year than most of us do.

And *this* would be why they include an 18% gratuity in the first place.

:p

Originally Posted by shelleybaxter
That being said, if I ever had HORRIBLE service I wouild request a manager and have the inclusive tip removed.

kaytieeldr said:
Um, okay... while discussing horrible service with the manager is the correct action, there's no way they can or will remove the inclusive/included tip. How would you propose that be done?

It most certainly can be done by the manager, just like a manager can comp dessert or an entire dinner if they choose. They simply take the tip amount off the bill. And I believe that they will do so as well. I've read posts on these boards where it happened.

I was at a non-disney restaurant here in my hometown once and sat next to a party of nine. A tip was included for all parties over eight. This table got really bad service, waited forever in between seeing the wait person, several orders wrong, a couple of steaks had to go back and be cooked more, etc., wait person just ignoring requests for drink refills. Really bad service, which I found strange since we (a party of only two) had great service.

The manager must have noticed that things weren't going well and went to the table to appoligize for all of the issues. A man at the table said the food had been good when they finally got everything the way it was supposed to be but they had been very disappointed in the service. He asked for the automatic tip to be removed and the manager quickly agreed to do so and asked the group to please return and give the restaurant another chance (it was a new restaurant).

People should not be required to pay a gratuity for poor service. If its required then it isn't a gratuity, its part of the cost of the meal. If I had really horrible service (obviously rude server, non-existent server, etc) I would certainly speak to the manager and ask for the included gratuity to be removed. I would quietly and calmly speak with the manager until I was satisfied with the responce to my concerns.

Shelly

I just don't see the need to tip extra over 18%. In my thoughts the prices at disney are very inflated thus the tips are inflated. Lets say I take my family of 6 to Olive Garden and pay $75 and tip 18%. That will be $13.50. That seems a fare tip for good service especially when he or she probably has multiple other tables and is gathering tips from them also. We generally are in an out within 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Now lets say we go to Mama Melrose with the DP no doubt our meal for 6 will be closer to 160.00. This will involve no more work than the server at Olive Garden. The server will get $28.80. I'm certain we will be in and out in the hour or no more than the 1 1/2. I would assume the server is also caring for other tables simultaneously.
I just don't see why this is not considered an adequate tip. Obviously if the server goes above and beyond or say my child dumps his plate on the floor and the server cleans it up well then sure I would want to do something to say an extra thank you but in normal circumstance I think an 18% of Disney's inflated prices is a great tip.

Shelley bBxter said:
It most certainly can be done by the manager, just like a manager can comp dessert or an entire dinner if they choose. They simply take the tip amount off the bill. And I believe that they will do so as well. I've read posts on these boards where it happened
Okay, that works if the patrons are paying for a restaurant meal where the tip's included, but I still don't see how even a restaurant manager can remove the included tip from a check covered by the Disney Dining Plan? Or is that not what we were talking about? I'm NOT arguing with you - I really want to know how this included tip can be removed by anyone.

kaytieeldr said:
Okay, that works if the patrons are paying for a restaurant meal where the tip's included, but I still don't see how even a restaurant manager can remove the included tip from a check covered by the Disney Dining Plan? Or is that not what we were talking about? I'm NOT arguing with you - I really want to know how this included tip can be removed by anyone.

Your right, that would be harder and I'm not sure how it might be accomplished. I don't use the dinning plan so I wasn't thinking about that. I was thinking about the times when we've gone with a large group and had the gratuity added automatically. I suppose if I knew a gratuity had been added and I had no control over it AND my service was horrible from the beginning I would ask for a manager a lot sooner in my meal.

We tipped to bring it up to 20%. Even with the poor service we received at Le Cellier.

If the extra tip came to less than $5, we left $5 as the extra.

LoveWDW said:
We tipped to bring it up to 20%. Even with the poor service we received at Le Cellier.

If the extra tip came to less than $5, we left $5 as the extra.

I don't get it why would you tip extra for poor service?

For those who tip more - do you let the server know ahead of time that they might be getting a little "extra" if they treat ya right?

First to the previous poster~ I hope that was sarcasm!
Now... I think that people who bus/serve drinks in buffets work harder than any other type of restaurant. (dish washers as well, on that subject). If My table is kept clear, and our drinks dont run dry (there will be 4 of us or 5 if we invite a guest to dinner)... I think that server would deserve a medal! (and at least an extra $5)Unless ofcourse, Chef Mickey's is a ghost town at 5pm that day! :rotfl: :lmao:

I didn't tip last year on the ddp and this year I am not going to either. 18% is a good tip for serving a party of two. If a tip wasn't included in the plan then I would definitely tip.

shellybaxter said:
Your right, that would be harder and I'm not sure how it might be accomplished. I don't use the dinning plan so I wasn't thinking about that. I was thinking about the times when we've gone with a large group and had the gratuity added automatically. I suppose if I knew a gratuity had been added and I had no control over it AND my service was horrible from the beginning I would ask for a manager a lot sooner in my meal.
Aha! Now I get it! I understand, and thanks! I was relating the issue SOLELY to the dining plan, but you're absolutely right.

torinsmom said:
Well, I really have to pinch pennies to go to Disney. I know some would say not to go if I can't afford to leave an extra tip, but 18% is about what I normally leave for good service at other restaurants. At Le Cellier, our bill was $130, so 18% was $23.60. We were there right at an hour, so to me, that is a pretty good wage. Our waitress was waiting on 3-4 other tables, so if they all tipped at least 15%, she was getting PAID. I don't make near that as a teacher, and nobody ever deliberates over whether they should tip ME.

So at Chef Mickey's, I believe it was 27.99 each, so $56 and 18% tip is $10.08. At CM's, our waitress seemed to be waiting on 6-7 tables, so still a pretty good wage.

I will most likely tip extra at some places in September since the DDP is free for us. I think it will be more at the less expensive restaurants, since the server makes less overall there. I had never thought about it, but the servers at the buffets do do a lot during the meal.

Marsha

My SIL is a teacher, and my mom is a teachers aide. You guys do not make enough. HOWEVER.... the wait staff at almost every restaurant has to TIP OUT both the BUS BOYS and the Bartender, generally to the tune of 5-8% of their gross sales. So if they get "stiffed" by one or two tables, they still have to tip out 5-8 % of whatever the guest check was.I have also worked in restaurants that charged an hourly rate for "employee meals". In georgia, at the time, the wage for servers was 2.65 an hour, but the restaurant CHARGED the employees .65 an hour for food!!! I HOPE Disney does not do that......and I would imagine it is pretty rare for servers to get "stiffed" at Disney. I did want to make those who have no background in the service industry aware that it is not as lucrative as things appear on the surface!! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter