• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who doesn't leave an extra tip?

DanaHesson said:
My SIL is a teacher, and my mom is a teachers aide. You guys do not make enough. HOWEVER.... the wait staff at almost every restaurant has to TIP OUT both the BUS BOYS and the Bartender, generally to the tune of 20% of their gross sales. So if they get "stiffed" by one or two tables, they still have to tip out 20% of whatever the guest check was.I have also worked in restaurants that charged an hourly rate for "employee meals". In georgia, at the time, the wage for servers was 2.65 an hour, but the restaurant CHARGED the employees .65 an hour for food!!! I HOPE Disney does not do that......and I would imagine it is pretty rare for servers to get "stiffed" at Disney. I did want to make those who have no background in the service industry aware that it is not as lucrative as things appear on the surface!! :wave2:

WHAT! The wait staff has to tip thw bus boys and bartender? :confused3 That makes no sense! Supposedly, an average tip is 15%, so how would they tip these others 20%? I can't believe this is right, since that would mean most servers would not make any tips because they would lose money.

Am I supposed to leave a 30% tip, so that everyone gets a piece of the action? Sorry, I will not tip more than 20% ever, restaurants are way too expensive already! I have bad service, they get 10%(when I get to choose the amount), average 15%, great 20%.

Marsha

zuzu310 said:
I didn't tip last year on the ddp and this year I am not going to either. 18% is a good tip for serving a party of two. If a tip wasn't included in the plan then I would definitely tip.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
ITA

The only time I included an extra tip when we used the plan year was to cover the items ordered that were not part of the plan.

torinsmom said:
WHAT! The wait staff has to tip thw bus boys and bartender? :confused3 That makes no sense! Supposedly, an average tip is 15%, so how would they tip these others 20%? I can't believe this is right, since that would mean most servers would not make any tips because they would lose money.

Am I supposed to leave a 30% tip, so that everyone gets a piece of the action? Sorry, I will not tip more than 20% ever, restaurants are way too expensive already! I have bad service, they get 10%(when I get to choose the amount), average 15%, great 20%.

Marsha

It amazes me how little people know about the food service industry. How did you think the busboys and bartenders get paid? Out of a magic box full of pixie dust.

As someone who tried to himself through college as a waiter, I am all too aware of the, "Well, he made $18 off our table and he had three others, so he made $80 this hour. That's pretty good. Too bad that only two of my hours working were that busy, and that $16 of those dollars went to other people. And then taxes added on. And then there are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights when no one is around.

So yeah, nice theory some people have.

Anyway, now that I have a job that allows me to go to Disney at least once a year (no kids yet), I don't made sharing the love with the people that make the trip that much more enjoyable.

We were on the free DP last year, and tipped extra several times when the service called for it. Specifically, at Restaurant Marakesh, our waitress was amazing. Sat down and exaplained the whole menu, went above and beyond the call on anything we needed.

In the end, I thought the extra $20 we threw on the table was not only well earned, but probably would make that persons day, and encourage them to continue that service. That is until the never refuse to tip crowd comes along. :crazy:

I agree with the person who said it's embarrassing to eat with people who don't tip (when it's not already included). My parents always tip $2 (sometimes a teeny tiny bit more) no matter how much they spend, etc. It's so embarrassing. When DH and I go out with them, we feel we have to tip extra to cover theirs.

Anyway, as far as Disney goes, I think based on how much meals cost, the servers should be making a decent wage based on 18%. Much more than I ever made when I was a young worker. Minimum wage was $4.50 an hour when I got my first job! lol They end making a lot more than that per hour.

Normally when DH and I go out we tip 15 (ok)-20% (excellent) based on service. At Disney, I think we will leave it at 18% unless we order something OOP/extra. After all, this is our first trip to Disney ever, proving we are not made of money. If the cash were flowing like water from a spigot, I would gladly throw down extra cash and share the wealth! :)

DanaHesson said:
the wait staff at almost every restaurant has to TIP OUT both the BUS BOYS and the Bartender, generally to the tune of 20% of their gross sales. So if they get "stiffed" by one or two tables, they still have to tip out 20% of whatever the guest check was.

I don't think it's that people disagree that waitstaff need to share their tips with bartenders and bus boys (which by the way have almost been eliminated a WDW - most wait staff seemed to bus their own tables).

It was the way you worded it above sounded like they have to give 20% of the total bill not 20% of their tips.

The way you've listed it above - if the guest check was $100 (plus tip of 20% $20 = total payment of $120), the waitstaff is giving $20 to the Bartender and bus boys which would leave $0 for their own tip.

The way it more regulary works is if the tip is $20 - they need to give $4 to the bartender and bus boys (20% of $20 = $4).

Fonzy13 said:
It amazes me how little people know about the food service industry. How did you think the busboys and bartenders get paid? Out of a magic box full of pixie dust.

As someone who tried to himself through college as a waiter, I am all too aware of the, "Well, he made $18 off our table and he had three others, so he made $80 this hour. That's pretty good. Too bad that only two of my hours working were that busy, and that $16 of those dollars went to other people. And then taxes added on. And then there are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights when no one is around.

So yeah, nice theory some people have.

Anyway, now that I have a job that allows me to go to Disney at least once a year (no kids yet), I don't made sharing the love with the people that make the trip that much more enjoyable.

We were on the free DP last year, and tipped extra several times when the service called for it. Specifically, at Restaurant Marakesh, our waitress was amazing. Sat down and exaplained the whole menu, went above and beyond the call on anything we needed.

In the end, I thought the extra $20 we threw on the table was not only well earned, but probably would make that persons day, and encourage them to continue that service. That is until the never refuse to tip crowd comes along. :crazy:

I am not stupid, if that is what you are implying. I did not appreciate your sarcastic remark. I had just never heard this and like the last poster said, the way you worded it sounded like the waiter had to tip the other staff 20% of the bill NOT 20% of what their tip was.

I thought in food service, the workers besides wait staff and bartenders were paid at least minimum wage. I assumed bartenders made tips from customers who were ordering drinks, not off the top of all the waitstaffs' tips(and what if noone at the table ordered a drink?)

Sorry, but I was taught that an appropriate tip was 15% and I do go up to 20% often(easier to figure 20% off the top of my head anyway)

And come on, we are talking Disney restaurants here, and with the restaurants packed all day every day, the wait staff are doing okay.

Marsha

When I was there last week. I only left and extra tip twice. Once because the service was super great like super duper great and once because I had asked for my inlaws to get a special anniversary dessert.

BUT there were 11 of us total ... three family and on average the waitress got from 50-75 tip. Thats pretty darn good.

We will be on the Dining plan and we will tip extra for exceptional service. If we are too full for our desserts we will ask the server if there is another table that might enjoy them so that they will still be on the bill but will not go to waste. Also if I was given a free dessert I would probably tip wait staff more so they might make more money that way. If we share any meals you bet I will tip extra. A big part of Disney for us is sharing the magic- that includes making the day for cast members and other patrons all over the parks. Besides the people you WILL encounter at the parks that are rude roll off your back easier if you have made someone else's day extra special just by being you. :grouphug:

If I do encounter BAD service- I just won't tip extra that time.

PrincessTrisha said:
I don't think it's that people disagree that waitstaff need to share their tips with bartenders and bus boys (which by the way have almost been eliminated a WDW - most wait staff seemed to bus their own tables).

It was the way you worded it above sounded like they have to give 20% of the total bill not 20% of their tips.

The way you've listed it above - if the guest check was $100 (plus tip of 20% $20 = total payment of $120), the waitstaff is giving $20 to the Bartender and bus boys which would leave $0 for their own tip.

The way it more regulary works is if the tip is $20 - they need to give $4 to the bartender and bus boys (20% of $20 = $4).

I have now edited my original post to reflect what I meant to say. (insert smiley with dunce cap here :goodvibes )

However, the tip out IS based on GROSS SALES, not NET TIPS. If I remember correctly on my last waitressing job it was 7.5% of gross sales, not the 20% I inadvertently entered. Thank you for allowing me to correct myself. The reason it is off of Gross Sales and not NET tips is because it is far too easy to lie about your Net Tips!

torinsmom said:
I am not stupid, if that is what you are implying. I did not appreciate your sarcastic remark. I had just never heard this and like the last poster said, the way you worded it sounded like the waiter had to tip the other staff 20% of the bill NOT 20% of what their tip was.

I thought in food service, the workers besides wait staff and bartenders were paid at least minimum wage. I assumed bartenders made tips from customers who were ordering drinks, not off the top of all the waitstaffs' tips(and what if noone at the table ordered a drink?)

Sorry, but I was taught that an appropriate tip was 15% and I do go up to 20% often(easier to figure 20% off the top of my head anyway)

And come on, we are talking Disney restaurants here, and with the restaurants packed all day every day, the wait staff are doing okay.

Marsha

The reason for tipping out to the bartender is because they have to make ALL the mixed drinks for the house, not just for the folks sitting at the bar! :goodvibes

So, my waiter/waitress has to tip the bartender, whether or not I get a mixed drink? This whole thing is very confusing to me! I am a single mom and a teacher to boot, so it is not very common for us to eat out at a "real" restaurant. We go to the local pizza parlor once a month or so, and I tip 20% there. Obviously, going to TS restaurants as WDW is a big treat for us, so I will definitely plan on tipping extra unless the service is bad, since DDP is free.

Marsha

We were on the dining plan last year in August. At that time, the wait staff was only getting tipped 15% at every restaurant we dined at. We never, ever tip less than 20%, usually approaching 25%. I tipped extra in every case to bring the tip up to what was appropriate in my eyes. We will be doing the same this trip.

torinsmom said:

Marsha

Waitresses absolutely tip out bus boys and bartenders at the end of the night!

I waitressed in college at TGI Fridays. At the end of the night 10% of my money went to the bus boys in my section, 10% went to the bartenders. We HAD to do this, although it was up to the individual servers to divide the tips. However, if the bus boys thought they got cheated by a server (less than 10%) the next time they were your bus boys, they bused your tables really, really slow and didn't pre-bus anything for you.

Is this the same at restaurants with bars? Because I would think that the bartenders there would do pretty well with their drink tips.

Marsha

I can see the bartender getting a tip (cut of the over-all tip) IF I ordered a mixed drink. If no one at the table ordered a mixed drink, then he/she should get squat. Let the ones that actually get service from him make the tips ...

I have to say as a server myself, I don't think people should have to tip extra when the tip is included. But in saying this, I think they should think about a extra tip if the server goes beyond to help them. I don't think you should feel guilty by not tipping more but it would be nice if you order extra drinks, dessert etc that is not included in the plan to tip extra. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.. :blush: I worked today and my feet hurt and I don't know what I am typing.. :rotfl: :happytv:

mom2my3kids said:
I have to say as a server myself, I don't think people should have to tip extra when the tip is included. But in saying this, I think they should think about a extra tip if the server goes beyond to help them. I don't think you should feel guilty by not tipping more but it would be nice if you order extra drinks, dessert etc that is not included in the plan to tip extra. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.. :blush: I worked today and my feet hurt and I don't know what I am typing.. :rotfl: :happytv:
It makes perfect sense to me. An 18% tip for the items covered by the DDP is included. Any thing extra ordered outside the plan requires an additional tip. Special attention and service deserves an additional amount over the 18% ...

aristocat said:
I dont tip extra... 18% is enough (unless the server was beyond amazing).

I wouldn't order an appetizer AND a dessert for every meal if it were not on the dinning plan... so the servers are getting a larger tip from the dinning plan than they would if I were paying OOP and not order that much food. With that in mind, I'm sure they LOVE it when customers are on the dinning plan racking up huge bills that they normally wouldn't

Servers I know do NOT love the dining plan in all cases, though I see your point. Ordering a cheap appetizer and/or dessert sometimes means you, as the guest, stay at the table 30 minutes longer perhaps (especially when coupled with coffee service), which really adds up table after table. So the server gets less turns of the table during their shift while making that big extra $2-$5 in gratuity from your extras. In other words, they could make 5 times that if instead of you ordering dessert, they got a brand new table of new guests ordering expensive entrees.

Also, my understanding is that gratuity does not go directly to the server's pocket like traditional cash and credit card tickets. Rather, it goes on their Disney paycheck (which means it is reported for tax purposes). Not a big deal for those of used to ALL of our income being reported, but for career servers, this is a major change for the worse.

From my perspective, the DDP keeps table service restaurants busier year round, and it also eliminates many bad tippers (those who are either cheap or come from a culture/country where tipping a waiter is non-existent or minimal). Nevertheless, if I were on the plan, I'd leave a small token of appreciation over the gratuity provided the service was great ($2-$5). My feeling is that what comes around goes around.

OK, before you start flaming me-I waited tables in high school and to put myself through college and was very happy to be employed (minimum wage was better than none at all)-the tips were all gravy.
I work in a public service industry now, but no one would EVER think of tipping me for doing my day to day job (although I get an occassional thank you card or homebaked cookies when I go above and beyond) and I would never expect it just for doing my job.
When did it become common place or an expectation to get a tip for doing one's job in an "average" way?
I always tip well for excellent service, but I feel ripped off when I get below par service-and I wouldn't hesitate to go low on the tip (or leave none at all and explain it to the server)if that was the case. I thought that the purpose of a tip was to show gratitude for the "extras" not a supplement for the server who shows up to work.

I guess I almost answered my own question. After I posted I did a search and found this:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/tipping.htm

here's a direct quote from the article:
International Tipping Customs
Michael Lynn, an associate professor of market and consumer behavior at Cornell University School of Hotel Administration, researched the variations of tipping in different countries. Comparing the types of services that were tipped in each country with personality tests that had been given to people in those countries, he came to the conclusion that countries with more extroverted and neurotic people gave tips to the greatest number of services and also tipped the largest amounts. (The United States was at the top of both of those categories, by the way.) His theory is that "extroverts are outgoing, dominating, social people" and see tipping as an incentive for the waiter to give them extra attention. Neurotics are more prone to guilt and general anxiety, making them tip more because of their perceived difference in status between themselves and the server.
[/COLOR] :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I guess I'm glad I don't feel inclined to tip automatically....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter