• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to start? DLR pre-trip planning

Well if Pete can't make it for some reason, put me down as the understudy, though there is that whole wife thing to deal with. I'm not sure if the fact that you know her makes that better or worse.

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn when we were there assuming it's the one on Harbor Blvd. directly across from property. We loved it. It was super convenient, about a 8-10 minute walk to the front gate, and we could watch fireworks from our room.

Eating offsite is very easy and safe (not sure about late at night but certainly for breakfast, lunch, or dinner). There are numerous choices along Harbor Blvd. which is especially easy if that's where you happen to be staying anyway.
Yep that's the one.
A friend said he and his wife stayed there and it was super easy. I believe there are a couple in that strip, so interested in which is the better choice.
It's also right on garden walk or whatever it's called right? That's where there are some places to eat and a McDonald's etc?

When I planned my trip I read people's Disneyland trip reports here on the dis, it helped with the lay of the land and gave me some opinions on like/dislikes. The podcast really helped too!
I've never been one for reading trip reports, but I may just give it a go and see what I learn!

Yep that's the one.
A friend said he and his wife stayed there and it was super easy. I believe there are a couple in that strip, so interested in which is the better choice.
It's also right on garden walk or whatever it's called right? That's where there are some places to eat and a McDonald's etc?

I've never been one for reading trip reports, but I may just give it a go and see what I learn!

It's not "right on" Anaheim GardenWalk. GardenWalk is a couple blocks away, with most of the popular restaurants on the far end. There IS a McDonald's right in front of the Fairfield, as well as a new Panera Bread, plus Mimi's Café. All the Fairfield has is a Pizza Hut. :crazy2:

I've got nothing against the Fairfield. It's a great location, but I think it's sometimes overpriced for what really is a glorified motel. JMHO

He my Australian goddess I would say the best planning advice for Disneyland is NOT to plan. It's not like Disney World where it is SO overwhelming...I would say that you learn how to use the archaic fast pass system you should be good.

Also take time to do the Walk of Fame / Hollywood sign... =D

Welcome to California!
:lmao:

I was actually stationed at Terminal Island Naval Station in Long Beach back in late 70's/early 80's (when it was open), and stayed in CA a year after I got out. Used to go to "military nights" @ DL, they were GREAT!

Always said I could never go back to visit because the pain of leaving the 1st time was so bad it actually felt like somebody had put their hands inside my ribcage and ripped my heart out, kind of like Mortal Kombat. Still is that visceral when I think of it. I just miss CA so much, even if my memories are (I'm sure) idealized after all this time. But the last few years, as I've gotten older, I'm thinking if I hit the lottery, I might have to chance the pain for a visit! :)

Last edited:
1. Do you think she'll buy that I need a translator?
2. I sleep on the right side, so you get the left.
3. I'll probs eat onsite a lot given that I will be alone and from what I understand, the area may not be the best for a solo female to wander around at night?
4. Packing will be easy, shorts and singlet tops
5. I'm looking at the Fairfield inn by Marriott, but need flights first I think
Catching up on the thread, but jumping in to say Fairfield is a great brand.? Plus, free breakfast if you feel like it. :)

Surprised, 'cause I'm staying in 1 next week, and they do, as does Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites (all, and Fairfield, are Marriott brands). Maybe it goes by location?

Could be, but the Fairfield Inn by Disneyland hasn't offered breakfast for several years, if ever. I can't remember if they did prior to 2009.

Could be, but the Fairfield Inn by Disneyland hasn't offered breakfast for several years, if ever. I can't remember if they did prior to 2009.
Virtually every Fairfield Inn in the country offers free breakfast - except that one. There may be a few others but that's the only one I've ever encountered personally and we've stayed at a lot of Fairfields.

I believe it. I seem to remember when they DID offer breakfast, and it was a plus over the HoJo because of that, and then they stopped offering breakfast, but that was a few years ago...

i thought I'd start my research here with all of you trusty podcast fans as my guides for a solo Disneyland trip!

Where should I begin my research?
I haven't listened to a huge amount of the Disneyland podcast due mostly to the fact that I hadn't planned on going there with my trips being to WDW (sorry @ImTooExcitedToSleep and @WebmasterMaryJo ), so where should I start listening from?

I'm pretty well set on which hotel to stay at, so at least that's a start.

I'll sign up for the DLR touring plans at some point, and will obviously have a read of the Disneyland boards here, but I feel like that's starting at the middle.

Also, tips on solo traveling! The solo boards here seem like a community forum, but will have to dig into them a bit further.

Any hints or tips would be great!! Thanks!

Glad you're going to visit our corner of the world, where it all started. :)

I think if you go to the Disneyland board and give a rough itinerary and number of days you plan on staying, some of the regulars there will pitch in with their experiences and expertise. Also, Tom has an index of our shows that might help you and I have an index of the Youtube videos. They are both sticky threads.

We stayed at Tropicana Inn - basic, no breakfast but cheap rates and guaranteed King beds. It's just down from the crosswalk and super convenient. There's a little store nearby where you can pick up some breakfast stuff if you want.

Well, if you are in the mood for some gosh darn wonderful writing full of witty anecdotes and amazingly high quality photos ... well, I am sure there is a trip report out there like that ...

but I do have my trip report from our trip out to Disneyland last year which was our first trip there - so from the viewpoint of a "newbie"

Definitely look at one of the hotels on Harbor Blvd as they are so close (we stayed at the HoJo). It is "easier" to plan - and in fact you can't really plan as far out as you can for WDW as you can't make the ADRs all that far in advance.

Tons of advice on the boards and at the Disneyland podcasts 101. Take advantage of the early entry in Fantasyland as a lot of the rides don't have FP. Remember the parks are so close you can hop back and forth which is helpful to get FP for later in the day at the other park (we did that with Radiator Springs Racers). Pirates and Haunted Mansion can get fairly long line (and no FP) so try to do that early in the morning a day you don't do Fantasyland

We went during the 60th and it was so crowded even though it was mid-week - way more crowded I have ever seen WDW .. but I think it has lessened a bit with the 60th

It definitely had a different vibe than WDW (we prefer WDW - though I think the crowds impacted our view) ... but it is really cool to know Walt walked those streets and was hands on with the park. Plus their version of Pirates and Space Mountain are way better

What hotel would you recommend Tom that is one of the closest?
Disney has a filter on the website when looking at good neighbor hotels that has location and one of the options is "across the street" and they're all roughly the same price.
I'd like to be a close walking distance and also kind of near garden walk because I HAVE to get me some Cheesecake Factory, purely because we don't have it here and my sister RAVED about the one in Hawaii that she went to. I know, stupid Aussie eating stupid American chain food, but I gotta try it right?! :)

Be careful when hotels say "across the street."

For example the Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel could say they're across the street, but really they're across the street from backstage.

The pedestrian entrance to Disneyland is directly across from the Best Western Plus-Park Place Inn (1544 S Harbor Blvd). Not necessarily recommending that hotel, but find it on a map and compare it to the other hotels you're looking at.

pedent.jpg

If you're looking for something closer to GardenWalk, you might want to look at something a little further south, maybe Portofino, Red Lion, Residence Inn Maingate or even Candy Cane Inn.

cheesecake.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter