• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you think grocery shopping will have a sense of normalcy again?

I went to Publix today and the store was practically empty. Many shoppers were wearing masks. They had a lot of chicken and pork, not much ground beef. No pasta, frozen veggies, or TP/paper towels.

they also didn’t have any disinfecting wipes for the carts, but someone was wiping them down with a watery cleaning solution in a bucket. That made me uneasy I don’t plan on going back until I’m desperate— should be good now for a few weeks.

Was just at Walmart and found some TP. I am probably ok for a week, but just decided on getting some since they have it. They weren't full, but they had enough to go around for a little bit, although dwindling fast.

One thing that is helping I think is there was a limit of 1. Makes sense. My dad was at a local grocer yesterday and said they were limiting meats. You could only buy one thing in that category so people couldn't hoard up all the ground meat, chicken, etc. Makes it harder to stock up for a week or two, but at the same time makes it fair for people that may actually need it right now. Walmart didn't have any signs like that posted and the meats were pretty much empty.

I've been to the grocery store twice now in the last week, and I just still can't believe it. Seeing so many empty shelves and such. Never thought I'd see something like that.

I went to Publix today and the store was practically empty. Many shoppers were wearing masks. They had a lot of chicken and pork, not much ground beef. No pasta, frozen veggies, or TP/paper towels.

they also didn’t have any disinfecting wipes for the carts, but someone was wiping them down with a watery cleaning solution in a bucket. That made me uneasy I don’t plan on going back until I’m desperate— should be good now for a few weeks.
Don't worry if someone is using a watery cleaning solution; wipes have only been wildly popular in the last 15-20 years old so I guess the store is using the "old fashioned" method which still works fine although isn't as convenient.

So........ My DH is our designated once a week shopper. So he was heading to Walmart today to get his prescriptions and fifty millions things (not TP) on my list and a couple of things for one of my brothers.

I called Mom (almost 90) and asked her if she needed anything. She quickly replies saying she needed some onions, blueberries, a couple of cans of Campbell Pork and Beans and that Lysol thingie (can, Mom) that has those bacterial papers. OK Mom, he will look but this last thing probably won't be happening. o_O

The thing with TP is that the price is skyrocketing along with the scarcity. This morning I paid $1 less for a 9 roll pkg than I previously paid for a 24-roll pkg. (Regular store, not some sort of black market situation, LOL.)

I managed to get to that store 10 minutes after it opened for "underage" customers; at that point they had about 20 packages left on the aisle, down from a full overnight re-stock. The store was pretty busy, and EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the store had the limit of TP in a cart. (I've finished all of my other shopping, so I was carrying it in my hands as my only item. I got some rather dirty looks, and it hit me later that some of those people probably thought I was repeatedly doubling back into the store just to buy more TP.)

BTW, if you do manage to find paper towels, you can make your own wipes by soaking paper towels (or shop towels, which are stronger) in a liquid cleaning solution. Use a strong shears to cut a roll in half across the middle, then remove the cardboard core from the roll and put it in your leftover canister or a lidded jar. Pour in enough solution to absorb, usually about 1/3 full, and tightly close the container. Leave it overnight to soak, and the next day you'll have wipes you can pull up from the center.

Last edited:

Went to two grocery stores this afternoon - no TP or cleaning products, but the meat and produce were pretty well stocked today compared to Monday. And then I found TP at Walgreen's so we should be good for a while :upsidedow

My Publix was pretty darn busy this afternoon, but LOTS of bare shelves (and it's a big Publix). NO milk or anything that looked like milk -- and this store has a milk fridge that must be 75 feet long!

I saw folks with various types of PPE. One guy had a legit N95 mask and gloves. A few people had masks, a few had gloves, but only saw that one guy with both.

At least in Florida, Publix now has special senior-only shopping hours: 7-8 AM Tuesday and Wednesday. We'll see how that goes, but at least they have set aside those hours for the most vulnerable.
I'm sure somebody did some research and found that to be workable. And the kid wiping carts was doing a real thorough job. Probably a new kid, but he's a keeper.

On the question of how long before things return to normal, that's hard to guess. You'd think most of the panic buying is over by now, but I guess not. I didn't see anybody frantic at the store, but I went about 3 PM, not at opening. Hopefully the supply chain will catch up and things will get back to normal like it usually does after a hurricane.

Went to a different Walmart today not close to our house but near a family member's bbq place (so we could get some yummy bbq and patronage his business) and was able to get a package of toilet paper for my mom who was notified she'd be working at home starting Monday and she was feeling the stress from the amount of toilet paper she had left at home. I knew they had some as I saw 1 package in many people's carts; I don't know if there was a limit, didn't see a sign but I did only see 1 package in the carts of those who had them. They were low but did have some. We did a drive by drop off today to get it to my mom haha.

That Walmart also was very well stocked in the bread especially Wonderbread. Many shelves were empty or low. We did see a person restocking for pop but I wasn't paying attention to who it was.

I will say the clientele of that Walmart seemed to care way less than the one by my house in respects to social distancing. We were trying our best but they were horrible at it. Lots of people on their cell phones not paying attention to where their carts and selves were in terms of space. It wasn't that the carts were in the way, it's that the people themselves had complete lack of spacial awareness and didn't even try to distance from other people.

Went to Home Depot located in a different area and those clientele totally different only 1 woman was completely oblivious to where she was standing at. The rest of us were very careful when passing each other, going to the other side of the main aisle so you didn't have to pass so close to each other, not hovering in the same display area etc.

then remove the cardboard core from the roll and
Even easier: saturate, wait, let the liquid soak in, then remove the cardboard. Recipe I got from youtube: 12 ounces water + 4 ounces rubbing alcohol + about four drops of dishwashing liquid.
I saw this today too - drives me crazy. I'm in RI, where doctors and nurses at the biggest hospital in the state are having to wear the same mask two days in a row because they're running out :sad2:
Yeah, they're supposed to be one-time use and not (as) effective if reused. But I kept the one I got ag the doctor's office last week and will use it again if necessary.

I saw this today too - drives me crazy. I'm in RI, where doctors and nurses at the biggest hospital in the state are having to wear the same mask two days in a row because they're running out :sad2:

Not just RI. Pretty much everywhere now.
Other departments are conserving so the ER and ICU can have greater allocation of the supplies.

My husband went to our local Mercado (Mexican grocery store) this morning (located about 4 miles from my house in an adjacent town) and found himself the ONLY person in the store, with a full complement of everything you could want, including rice, dried beans, fresh meat, Mexican baked goods, fresh produce. So just a suggestion...I think people overlook these stores, but they shouldn't. Prices are very competitive with our other local grocery stores, and I for one am a big fan of Mexican food. And, Mexican bakeries....OMG! Good! Anyway, it's a small, locally owned business and I love to support that too.

Anyways - after this initial wave of panic buying, things should level out right? This is the type of stuff that makes me anxious, seeing everyone else panic.
6 to 8 weeks and it will start looking normal again. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

We made a last trip to grocer for some fresh fruits and veggies before hunkering down for a couple weeks and the shelves were empty. It's surreal, this is the cliche we had in mind growing up about the Soviet Union.

My husband went to our local Mercado (Mexican grocery store) this morning (located about 4 miles from my house in an adjacent town) and found himself the ONLY person in the store, with a full complement of everything you could want, including rice, dried beans, fresh meat, Mexican baked goods, fresh produce. So just a suggestion...I think people overlook these stores, but they shouldn't. Prices are very competitive with our other local grocery stores, and I for one am a big fan of Mexican food. And, Mexican bakeries....OMG! Good! Anyway, it's a small, locally owned business and I love to support that too.
Friend said the asian market her friend went to he got the last bag of rice. She couldn't believe that an asian market would be out of it.

In Canada Walmart is hiring 10,000 people for distribution of goods . I can only imagine how many people they will hire in the US

In Canada Walmart is hiring 10,000 people for distribution of goods . I can only imagine how many people they will hire in the US
It may not be much but I appreciate the sentiment all the same---"Walmart is giving bonuses which will be $300 for full-time hourly workers and $150 for part-time hourly workers. Workers employed as of March 1 will qualify and receive the bonus on April 2" (so quickly enough).

Additionally: "hiring 150,000 additional employees through the end of May in its stores, clubs, distribution centers and fulfillment centers. Walmart says the positions will be temporary at first, but many will convert to permanent roles over time. expediting the hiring process for key roles like cashiers and stockers. The usual two-week application process will be reduced to just 24 hours."

In the coming weeks and months this should help out on the restocking front throughout the U.S. :)

I found meat and frozen vegetables for the first time in a couple of weeks. I had the flu last month and then my Dad died...so I haven't been shopping and was running low. They still had no disinfectant, paper products, bread, soup, water, flour or yeast.

Gowns and gloves are scarce too.

Last edited:
Has anyone been notified of a change to using one's reusable bag?

It's only 1 company at this point in our area but as of tomorrow Hy-Vee will no longer allow reusable bags to be used in their stores: "Because it is not always easy to know the sanitization procedures customers are taking at their homes to keep the bags clean, this is one more way the grocer is helping prevent the spread of the virus."
Medical professionals and the plastics industry have for years expressed concern over bag bans potentially spreading diseases, and given that the supposed environmental efficacy of bag bans advocates often hype up are dubious, it was only a matter of time before the coronavirus pandemic would lead to a reality check over bag bans and voluntary phaseouts. Already, NY's had to delay enforcement again - initially pushed back to April 1st, now pushed back again until mid-May - and there are already calls for bag bans across the USA and other countries to either be temporarily suspended, or even scrapped entirely, as those fears are already coming home to roost.

It's also made me question Disney's strategy of forcing the idea of reusable bags on their guests in parts of the Parks, Experiences and Products division. Although their retail stores and parks are currently closed - and their Cruises suspended - what's to stop a relapse of COVID-19 (and future pandemics) being borne by guests' own reusable bags?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter