What the HECK is going on???!!

LIFERBABE said:
The availability of the dining plan to DVC Members and renters is a huge advantage to the renter.
It is the same price for the dining plan, but Tickets are not required (they are if you are not on points) and the Deluxe resorts are not as heavily discounted as the values when CRO offers packages, so again, the renter is able to save a significant amount on the room, add the DP, and have the option of purchasing discounted ticket media or AP's. That to me is a huge advantage and will bring a whole new wave of renters to DVC that normally would not be as interested.

And not sure if you were referring to my post, but I dont think it takes away from the member. I just think that besides not receiving daily housekeeping (which can be added for $25 p/day) that DVC rentals are being compared to values and moderates when then really offer a Deluxe vacation in Deluxe locations with Deluxe amenities and now with the DP, can hold its own to those looking to book Deluxe packages thru CRO.

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't even think about the fact that a renter would not need to purchase tickets directly through WDW, but it makes a lot of sense.

I don't know about the other comment because I would never refer to the resorts as values or moderates. Yes, I know I am getting a great deal, and for that I am very appreciative. If I could afford to purchase, this would be the vacation in which I would make my decision, unfortunately, that's just not in the cards at this point. :-(

A few thoughts. First, those who reserve high demand times to rent, take away times for members to use. Those who rent too low, do hurt the other members. And guess what, it's all good. Anyone can do what they want with their points, at least within these aspects. It's part of the price of owning something desirable and flexible.

Dean said:
A few thoughts. First, those who reserve high demand times to rent, take away times for members to use. Those who rent too low, do hurt the other members. And guess what, it's all good. Anyone can do what they want with their points, at least within these aspects. It's part of the price of owning something desirable and flexible.

I'm not sure whether you're saying "We live in the best of all possible worlds because there are no restrictions on our behavior", or "Pain is good, and anarchy is good because it brings pain". Or maybe it's just "renters hurt other members, but so does anyone who reserves at high demand times". In which I must plead guilty to doing so (but not to rent).

I would not object to a provision that rentals earlier than 9 months must be in the name of the contract owner, if MS chose to impose such.

erikthewise said:
I'm not sure whether you're saying "We live in the best of all possible worlds because there are no restrictions on our behavior", or "Pain is good, and anarchy is good because it brings pain". Or maybe it's just "renters hurt other members, but so does anyone who reserves at high demand times". In which I must plead guilty to doing so (but not to rent).

I would not object to a provision that rentals earlier than 9 months must be in the name of the contract owner, if MS chose to impose such.
Too hard to enforce - what's to stop the owner from changing the names or just adding names to the reservation later?

Best wishes -

erikthewise said:
Actually neither. There are plenty of restrictions on behavior. Some things are simply morally, ethically and/or legally wrong. Some things are against the rules and at least a rule or 2 is likely illegal if attempted to be enforced. My point really was that one takes to good with the bad. What's "bad" for you might not be the same for me. Renting is ok because it's within the rules. And reserving high demand times is the same. If you want to rent your points far below market value, that's your choice as well.

You might not object but it would not be possible within the rules or FL timeshare laws.

Dean said:
You might not object but it would not be possible within the rules or FL timeshare laws.

Interesting. That's what I count on you for!

I have not seen any increase in rental prices since 2001. In fact if you account for inflation and dues increases, the $10 rental in 2001 is at least equivalent to $13 in 2006.

I'm wondering about this too. When hubby did some number crunching- he asked why the current going rate isn't $13 a pt (for unrestricted points). At that point the owner at least breaks even with respect to point value as well as maintenance fees. Any thoughts?

Boo said:
I'm wondering about this too. When hubby did some number crunching- he asked why the current going rate isn't $13 a pt (for unrestricted points). At that point the owner at least breaks even with respect to point value as well as maintenance fees. Any thoughts?

As long as members as even a few members are willing to sell for $10 per point...that is what the going rate is going to be. I recently listed some points for rental (which I am NOT crazy about doing). I offered them at $11, and EVERY person who responded wanted to know why I was not offering them at the "standard" rate of $10 per point.

The availability of the dining plan without having to purchase MYW tickets SHOULD help owners get more for their points, but with so many people renting out their points right now....it is all a question of "supply and demand". Unfortunately, with DVC selling at such a rate right now, I do not think rental rates are going to go any higher...there are too many people who bought and, for whatever reason cannot travel to use their points (or got too many "free" points from DVD).

I also think the high cost of fuel might be a factor in keeping rental rates low in the future....gas and plane fares are sure to go up, and people will have less money to travel. That will surely mean fewer people going to WDW, and people going less often. It's interesting that the fuel prices don't seem to have "slowed" sales at SSR....it could be that the guides are telling people, "Don't worry...you can always rent extra points out on the dis."

I think, unless DVC starts offering $12 as the "buy back" price for points, the rental price will stay right at $10 per point....unless BCV, BWV and VWL become too hard to get into...then, those resorts might bump a little for a few people.

:wave:

Beca

spiceycat said:
sorry - blame me - I have been posting about DVC rentals in both the resorts board and Orlando boards not to mention the welcome board...

Foodlover - Mary your site is the BEST!!!! You have save thousand of people money!!!

hey I am going to have rent more points later this year - might as well start telling people the benefits now!!! :teeth:

lots of people didn't realize that they could rent from a DVC member.

Sorry I didn't realize the price had changed to $11 a points.... Will start saying that today!!!

I think it give more people an option! that is always a good thing!!!

Mary when do you join????

congratulations!!!! and welcome home!!!

OKW at $80 a point can sometimes beat the value resort.... Now at $88 a point it might not....have to redo my numbers.

DH and I usually go to WDW every 2 years. We have 2 ds's, one of which is autistic. We normally stay at a deluxe resort. After spending a week in Mammoth in a condo, we noticed how much better our autistic son adjusted to his environment. So after reading some possitive comments from Spiceycat, we decided to look in to renting points, then possibly buy into DVC. I must say, some of the comments of "bottom feeders" does not make me want to rent points. Spiceycat always seemed so positive in posts referring to DVC. I'm sad to hear so much fighting over here. IF we decide to rent points, I hope it will be at an arrangement favorable to us and the owner. We aren't bottom feeders. We're just a family interested in more comfortable accomodations than a typical hotel room (and not Ft Wilderness cabins).

I'm kinda baffled at why another member would rip another member for renting the points that they own and pay for, for whatever they want. If they rent them for $1 and are fine with that price and transaction ,then o.k. If they try to get $50 a point in a rental and someone agrees to it, then it is the renter and the rentees business, not yours( and good for them). It sounds like too many people that rent their points for $10 or more are upset because the person who is renting them at $9 a point is getting a sale and not them. Well that is business. I don't rent my points but if I ever do, nothing anyone tells me will make me decide what I rent them for. I will look to see my situation and how much I want to make and set my price the way I see fit. You have the right to rent, transfer or whatever do with them anyway you want(within the law). If you make the rental deal before the next guy, congratulations. If not, then you make adjustments to your strategy and try again. That's the way it is and no one is going to tell me to fixing my price to any standard. I fix my own prices. I'm sure many will not agree with me, but you have no right to tell me or anyone else what we can and can't do with our points. We pay for them , as do you and we do what we want with them. If I want to let them go to waste, not use them, then so be it. My points, my choice.

rogerram said:
I'm kinda baffled at why another member would rip another member for renting the points that they own and pay for, for whatever they want. If they rent them for $1 and are fine with that price and transaction ,then o.k. If they try to get $50 a point in a rental and someone agrees to it, then it is the renter and the rentees business, not yours( and good for them). It sounds like too many people that rent their points for $10 or more are upset because the person who is renting them at $9 a point is getting a sale and not them. Well that is business. I don't rent my points but if I ever do, nothing anyone tells me will make me decide what I rent them for. I will look to see my situation and how much I want to make and set my price the way I see fit. You have the right to rent, transfer or whatever do with them anyway you want(within the law). If you make the rental deal before the next guy, congratulations. If not, then you make adjustments to your strategy and try again. That's the way it is and no one is going to tell me to fixing my price to any standard. I fix my own prices. I'm sure many will not agree with me, but you have no right to tell me or anyone else what we can and can't do with our points. We pay for them , as do you and we do what we want with them. If I want to let them go to waste, not use them, then so be it. My points, my choice.
While I agree with you, there are some on DIS that don't. They see those who rent, esp those who rent consistently, as beneath them. Some can't understand that this is a system with good and bad points and what's good and bad in your eyes might be different than mine. And what's legal and within the rules might not be c/w the way they see DVC. They get upset if they see something for rent that they wanted to reserve or something that they see as high demand. And some are just upset if anyone might make a small profit on a rental.

Dean,
I can agree with people being upset with something they wanted to reserve being for rent and I do think it is kinda low for someone to book these to rent out high demand weeks, taking away from members, but if anyone wants those dates, they can call like anyone else to try to book it with ms. I call day to day if it is a holiday week, right at 9am and I get what I want, usually. If you call at 9 months out and expect it to be there for you and it is gone, then that is the way it is. It can be frustrating, but they have points also and booked at the 11 month window. I refererred on my rant more towards people renting out points that need to only rent points out and not the ones booking prime weeks with the sole use of offering them for rent. That is just being low. They can do it, but it is a low thing to do.

rogerram said:
Dean,
I can agree with people being upset with something they wanted to reserve being for rent and I do think it is kinda low for someone to book these to rent out high demand weeks, taking away from members, but if anyone wants those dates, they can call like anyone else to try to book it with ms. I call day to day if it is a holiday week, right at 9am and I get what I want, usually. If you call at 9 months out and expect it to be there for you and it is gone, then that is the way it is. It can be frustrating, but they have points also and booked at the 11 month window. I refererred on my rant more towards people renting out points that need to only rent points out and not the ones booking prime weeks with the sole use of offering them for rent. That is just being low. They can do it, but it is a low thing to do.
I don't feel that members should hold back and not reserve high demand times, this is not an emotional issue for me but it is for some. Different people bought for different reasons. Some may specifically have bought to rent out, others may be like me and own more points than they will consistently use. And still others may rent due to financial hardships or to better afford a cruise or other exchange option. And while I've never set out to reserve high demand times to rent, if that's the way I could get a much better return or I had reserved and then didn't need it, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do so. And to be clear, I'd put anyone renting their home resort as a much higher priority and more deserving, than one using points from another DVC resort inside the 7 month window. Plus, this is what DVC does every time they get points for a cash equivalent trade such as DC, DCL, CC.

BTW, I own 3 Marriott weeks on HH. I usually try to reserve around the 4th of July every year and either use or rent. I use my 13 month reservation advantage to do so when single week owners can only reserve at 12 months. There is a method to my madness or a madness to my method, LOL. You be the judge. I've evolved to the model of owning what I want to use and renting it out when I don't want to use it. I've pared down my timeshare holdings accordingly but still have a ways to go. Now days I generally only trade timeshares to supplement trips and for the thrill of the chase.

Is anyone else logging into their computer everyday wincing and hoping this thread has disappeared?

Not me. I like any thread where Dean contributes :thumbsup2

my4kids said:
Is anyone else logging into their computer everyday wincing and hoping this thread has disappeared?

Here's a crazy thought... stop opening the thread and making yourself miserable every day if you don't have any interest in it! :)

rogerram said:
You have the right to rent, transfer or whatever do with them anyway you want(within the law). If you make the rental deal before the next guy, congratulations. If not, then you make adjustments to your strategy and try again. That's the way it is and no one is going to tell me to fixing my price to any standard. I fix my own prices. I'm sure many will not agree with me, but you have no right to tell me or anyone else what we can and can't do with our points. We pay for them , as do you and we do what we want with them. If I want to let them go to waste, not use them, then so be it. My points, my choice.
amen. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter