What the HECK is going on???!!

mikesmom

<font color=9999FF>Never pool hops without a licen
Maybe it's just me and I'm watching these boards too much, but it seems like there is a sudden rash of people
  • offering $9/point during spring break or the holidays
  • trying to get spring break
  • angry because they can't get into HHI for this summer
  • wanting adjoining studios
  • saying they are planning on a budget or moderate resort but heard this was cheaper
  • asking about how they can cancel or change ressies if they rent
Even want to get a standard and then get a free "upgrade". It's not enough of a good deal? I know people aren't DVC savvy if they aren't members, but it used to seem like people did a little research. And if I see the term "DVC" and "cheap" in the same sentence one more time - yikes! What's going on? Is someone handing out flyers about renting?

Ok rant over, I'll be quiet now.

MikesMom, I couldn't have put it better myself on all your points (no pun intended). I don't rent my points, but I would think cost per point for renting should be a lot higher since we now have the dining plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but to get the dining plan through Disney, you have to buy at least a one day park pass(even if you have an AP). We don't have that requirement. That should be worth something.

My favorite is the "Do I get all the DVC perks even though I'm renting."
Give me a break. Why be an owner if that were true.

Okay, my rant over.

Cyn

I agree that DVC adding the Dining Plan took it up a notch.

Not only do those wanting the DP outside of DVC have to purchase ticket media, they also have to pay Deluxe Pkg rates to stay at BW, WL or BC. Not AP rates, Resident rates, or Room Only rates. These discounted rates are not considered packages and do not qualify for the DP.

This means DVC points can now be directly compared to CRO package rates for Deluxe accomodations and not values or moderates as has always occurred in the past.

Even if one added the $125 per 5 night stay for daily housekeeping, a DVC studio rental with DP for 5 nights would blow away any Discounted CRO Deluxe package with DP.

Disney is not giving it away, CRT Dinner is now $40 and people are still lined up to get into the castle.

There are risks involved for both sides, but the benefits of renting DVC points is a huge reward for those willing to take the risk.

IMHO, most of those are good things - especially if you are among those who think points should go for more than $10 each.

Since we hardly ever know the success rate of any of those who are:

* offering $9/point during spring break or the holidays
* tying to get spring break now
* angry because they can't get into HHI for this summer
* saying they are planning on a budget or moderate resort but heard this was cheaper

I think it is a positive that they ( as well as some owners) find out it's not gonna happen, LOL! FWIW, I don't believe any owner has to accept $10 or less per point unless they have distressed points, are impatient or don't know what they are doing.

I also think it is a very good thing that some are "asking about how they can cancel or change ressies if they rent". That should be very clear on both sides of the equation before any money ever changes hands. I don't think it means people are planning to back out, just that they want to know their options if something unexpected happens.

Best wishes -

I haven't been to Mousesavers in a while, but I seem to remember her writing that even though buying into DVC isn't a good deal(whatever), you can rent points from members as a cheap alternative. There's even a link to the DIS Boards on her site.

I'm sorry to say that I think it's only going to get worse as you've got a whole bunch of people that just received double the points w/the F&F promo and need to find a home for them...off to the Rent/Trade Board they go! It will definitely be a renter's market when owners start to plan and realize that even after banking, they might not be able to use the extra points themselves. When panic sets in...prices drop. It goes downhill from there. :sad2:

JodyTG said:
I haven't been to Mousesavers in a while, but I seem to remember her writing that even though buying into DVC isn't a good deal(whatever), you can rent points from members as a cheap alternative. There's even a link to the DIS Boards on her site.

This is not AT ALL an accurate description of what I say on my site. I'm a DVC owner myself. I specifically mention that the average rental cost is $10-$12 per point.

And yes, for the past four years I've been sending a lot of people from MouseSavers.com to the DIS Boards to rent points, which has helped to create a very healthy market for owners who want or need to rent out their points.

I believe most DIS Board members who rent out points are benefiting from my link, but I can always yank it if that's the consensus... not that I've ever seen a consensus on ANYTHING around here! :rotfl2:

Mary

I love the "I'm on a budget and can only afford $7 or $8 per point" But they want the dining plan, two bedroom villa, can they get tickets, too?

Or, "I want a BW View. Can I get a standard studio with a BW view?"

Makes me want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are more new threads on the R/T board than on either of the DVC boards.

FoodLover said:
This is not AT ALL an accurate description of what I say on my site. I'm a DVC owner myself. I specifically mention that the average rental cost is $10-$12 per point.

And yes, for the past four years I've been sending a lot of people from MouseSavers.com to the DIS Boards to rent points, which has helped to create a very healthy market for owners who want or need to rent out their points.

I believe most DIS Board members who rent out points are benefiting from my link, but I can always yank it if that's the consensus... not that I've ever seen a consensus on ANYTHING around here! :rotfl2:

Mary

Mousesavers does all DVC members a great service. This site has saved me a lot of money with every trip and I check the site daily. I am a DVC member and have greatly appreciated all the hardwork that has been done on that site.

Deb & Bill said:
I love the "I'm on a budget and can only afford $7 or $8 per point" But they want the dining plan, two bedroom villa, can they get tickets, too?

Or, "I want a BW View. Can I get a standard studio with a BW view?"

Makes me want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are more new threads on the R/T board than on either of the DVC boards.
Seriously, why do those posts bother you? How do you know those posters actually get a rental for that price? If they aren't fooling you, why do you think they are fooling everyone else?

Why is it bad that there are so many "new threads" on the R/T board? The larger the demand, the higher the rental price should go. Or are you just opposed to renting in general?

No need to answer any of the questions, but I can't help but wonder why you "want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused3

Best wishes -

I dunno - we've never rented out our points and don't know if we ever will. But as far as I'm concerned, they're your (meaning owners in general) points and you can do what you want with 'em. Rent them for $1 a point or $20 a point. That's up to you.

I think the important part is that both sides do their research well - and remember that it's a private transaction.

DisFlan

sorry - blame me - I have been posting about DVC rentals in both the resorts board and Orlando boards not to mention the welcome board...

Foodlover - Mary your site is the BEST!!!! You have save thousand of people money!!!

hey I am going to have rent more points later this year - might as well start telling people the benefits now!!! :teeth:

lots of people didn't realize that they could rent from a DVC member.

Sorry I didn't realize the price had changed to $11 a points.... Will start saying that today!!!

I think it give more people an option! that is always a good thing!!!

Mary when do you join????

congratulations!!!! and welcome home!!!

OKW at $80 a point can sometimes beat the value resort.... Now at $88 a point it might not....have to redo my numbers.

Plutofan said:
Mousesavers does all DVC members a great service. This site has saved me a lot of money with every trip and I check the site daily. I am a DVC member and have greatly appreciated all the hardwork that has been done on that site.

Mary ITA :thumbsup2 with plutofan. Your site (which I subscribe to) was my step in my Disney Education and remains a wonderful resource. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that, should!

-Tony

the WDW resorts last year changed Oct and Nov from value season to regular season. at DVC resort this is still value season.

OKW even at $88 for this time frame can beat the value resort $99 ($110 to $112 with taxes)....

lots of the new member probably don't realize this and are offering a lower price than necessary.

greenban said:
Mary ITA :thumbsup2 with plutofan. Your site (which I subscribe to) was my step in my Disney Education and remains a wonderful resource. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that, should!

-Tony

Add me here too Mary! Before joining DVC I found so much info on your site that saved my family over $1000 on our room rental at Ft Wilderness. Even now I still check out various sections for ticket discounts and rental car codes, you do a great job!!! :-)

So why should we beat the value resort? This not apples to apples, not even close. The only time I've rented is when we had a large family gathering blow up followed by illness in the family. So, I guess I shouldn't care.

I guess I'm just grumpy today. The bottom feeders make me nervous, particularly when they get mad because they can't have it all. I just noticed there seems more than usual.

DisFlan said:
I dunno - we've never rented out our points and don't know if we ever will. But as far as I'm concerned, they're your (meaning owners in general) points and you can do what you want with 'em. Rent them for $1 a point or $20 a point. That's up to you.

I think the important part is that both sides do their research well - and remember that it's a private transaction.

DisFlan

AMEN!

If I want to rent my points why do you care what I rent them for?? LOL! I just don't get these threadws about "Renting too cheap" So??? Most folks aren't doing this as a money maker and if they are, I don't really care if they don't make as much as they want.

(And Mousesavers is the greatest. I sent one of my friends there and she was SO grateful... it's the best of both worlds. Give your friends leads on saving and get yourself OUT of the equation!)

I'm one of those new folks that apparently has everyone "screaming." I know I should have done more research, but when you're on the ship, where do you go for immediate research? I asked TONS of questions everytime I passed the reps at the DVC booth. They'd see me coming and start smiling. They knew that I was going to rattle off some more questions.

Anyway, what's this I'm reading about dining being added as a perk?

And by the way, if anyone has a one stop resource where I can get all of questions answered w/o having to lay it all out on this board, please let me know.

Also, if anyone knows of a therapy session for DIS addicts, please sign me up!

I have been a DVC member since 2001 and alos noticed the "bottom feeders" lately. I flamed a guy that offered $7.50 per point for a rental and the message got deleted by the moderator. That was my only flame I have sent since I joined this forum.

Yes, you can charge $1-$12 per point, but 99% of the successful point rentals are around $10. The "restricted points" trade for $9 per point.

Unfortunately, the non-DVC owner does not know the difference between clean and restricted points.

I have not seen any increase in rental prices since 2001. In fact if you account for inflation and dues increases, the $10 rental in 2001 is at least equivalent to $13 in 2006.

If you rent less than $10 per point, you are actually loosing money with DVC.

It seems the more members DVC gets, the more supply of rental points that are available. Newbies are making mistakes and renting too cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter