What medication do you take to relieve flight anxiety?

Don't try this at home, kids, BUT...
Just back from WDW, and I took a Xanax (which had no effect on the trip out) and mixed it with one 7 ounce wine cooler type drink. It worked! I didn't feel doping or whacked out, just a lot more mellow. I know it sound bad to mix pills and alcohol, but if that's what it takes to be chilled on the plane, I'm willing to do it for flights only (hubby can tell you that any other time I resist taking anything, even aspirin).
Barb

I was never anxious to fly until the 9/11 tragedies. We were staying at OKW on that day and flying home 8 days later. I was very nervous. But my take on it is that I want to be fairly "with it" in case - heaven forbid - I need to be.

I used to give my dog, who died this spring, a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy to calm her during fireworks and thunderstorms. It is a natural remedy and worked very well for her - she was a little girl at 13 pounds. It is not just for pets, though, and I always have some on hand. It is very calming, but does not necessarily make you sleepy - unless you use a lot! It also comes in a cream; its taste is not especially pleasant.

However, our flight to WDW is only a little over 2 hours, so anything else would be overkill for me. It probably would start kicking in when I was getting off the plane! :eek:

How do you know if you are anxious due to the flight, or due to your stomach going in knots and knowing you will toss your cookies? Or if you toss your cookies because you are so anxious? Seriously. I am not normally a puker - but have on a plane :rolleyes: I made it the whole flight and as soon as we landed in this 18 seater (including the pilot and co) I tossed in a bag. Poor guy across the 'crawl space' from me! It was so tiny there wasn't a stewardess let alone a bathroom. He pulled his paper up like he didn't know what was going on. :p

I think I am nervous/anxious because I know how sick to the stomach I get? I don't know what to take for it. Or maybe I get sick to the stomach because I am so nervous??

Also, something else I was wondering -- do you think either of these would help me with some of the thrill rides? I usually don't do them because I'm scared, and I sometimes feel I'm really missing out. I don't mind standing in line with my kids and doing the chicken exit, but I know they would love it if I went on the rides too

I would like to know this too. I'm usually ok once on the ride but the wait can almost cripple me I get so nervous. DH really wants me to try Rockin Roller Coaster next trip but I'm too scared!
And I am going to talk to my Dr. before flying next time after reading these posts.

For me, the physical motion sickness is different than the anxiety. I only get the physical feeling when the plane does very sharp turns, and I can feel pressure in my head. It's a lot different than the anxiety, which is more of a panicky feeling and, at its worse, an I-can't-breath feeling. I also know because I was not always this bad, but got much worse after the diverted-six-hour-and-aborted-landing flight. On a recent flight, I was doing just fine until the pilot announced that we might have to divert due to a thunderstorm. Instantly I couldn't catch my breath and suddenly wanted OFF the plane!! Much different than the physical motion feeling.
Barb

Originally posted by Lambert808
How do you know if you are anxious due to the flight, or due to your stomach going in knots and knowing you will toss your cookies? Or if you toss your cookies because you are so anxious? Seriously. I am not normally a puker - but have on a plane :rolleyes: I made it the whole flight and as soon as we landed in this 18 seater (including the pilot and co) I tossed in a bag. Poor guy across the 'crawl space' from me! It was so tiny there wasn't a stewardess let alone a bathroom. He pulled his paper up like he didn't know what was going on. :p

I think I am nervous/anxious because I know how sick to the stomach I get? I don't know what to take for it. Or maybe I get sick to the stomach because I am so nervous??

Well, I can only speak for myself.....
But I do not get anxious from nausea, nor does anxiety cause me to feel nauseous. The fear of the hunk of metal I am soaring at 35000 feet crashing into a firey ball to earth is what causes my anxiety. (Wow, you thought the therapy would have worked better:crazy: ) Sounds like your flight on the 18 seater was rough (most small planes are!) If I get sick on a flight, it is because it is a particulary rough flight (Denver is notorius for rough landings). My symtoms of anxiety are completely unrelated.

:o I think i'll just have my DH knock me out!!!!!!!!!!!!M e scared also!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: nana2tots

Thank you 2 for explaining that to me. I do get anxious also, but so far haven't had to take anything for that. My motion sickness gets me every time though :rolleyes: DH thinks they are one in the same, and I didn't think so. I hope the medications, or meditations, help those of you with such a hard time with flying *HUGS* I have felt that way before also, and can totally relate!

Big fan of Xanax washed down with a glass of wine!!!! Never feared flying until 9/11 like so many others. DS(13) developed same fear. Our doctor encourages us to give him a Xanax also-just not with wine!!!! We take one as soon as we get up (always take early a.m. flights) and then another 30 minutes before boarding - works like a charm.

MamaQuack

MamaQuak: do you know how many mg. you take? are they the "blue" pill or the "peach" pill?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter