Auto train feedback

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Hello all, considering the auto train this summer. All in, for coach plus your car it’s approx half the price as 4 RT air tickets including airport transfers etc. plus we would have access to a car on property. If anyone has any feedback about recent trips would love to hear it.

PS - the Amtrak room options are double or more the price of coach , for that we would just fly

Thank you

We have taken the autotrain 10+ times. I have only done coach once. I did not sleep much in coach but there was a sale and it was $19 per person so we didn't mind too much. Our kids did not mind being in coach at all. Our trip in coach was August of '23, our next auto train trip is next month.

The train has been late here and there recently, much more than usual. This was due to a cargo train derailment (auto train shares the same tracks as cargo trains) and the bridge collapse in Baltimore (resulting in heavier than usual rail traffic on the east coast).

Definitely bring a small cooler with your own food and drinks. There's food for sale on the train but there have been times when the registers were down and no one could buy food or there was a staffing issue and they didn't open the cafe until 8 or 9pm. Strange things happen and you don't want to be stuck on a train for 20 hours without some sort of backup for food. Bring plenty of extra snacks in case you are delayed on the train.

There's little to no wi-fi so download shows and movies to your devices ahead of time. Bring a pillow and blanket (the train can get cold with the AC running), noise cancelling earbuds/headphones and sleep mask if you are sensitive to lights at night.

We went coach in March 2020. On the way down we were on the bottom. I liked it better than on the way back when we were on the top. There was a light that was so bright that shone right in my eyes. On the way back in the top there were people walking back and forth between cars all night long. You could hear the doors swish open and closed. I did not get good rest either way.

If you can sleep in a recliner with dozens of other people around you and feel rested in the morning, coach is fine. Otherwise, fly, or take a sleeper compartment.

Amtrak also offers the Silver Meteor/Silver Star that come into Orlando with sleeper service that's usually less expensive than the Autotrain. You don't have your car at the end, but depending on your dates it can be substantially cheaper than flying.

If you can sleep in a recliner with dozens of other people around you and feel rested in the morning, coach is fine. Otherwise, fly, or take a sleeper compartment.

This is a good point - I've only taken the auto train twice, both times we had a sleeper compartment and even with that it wasn't exactly super restful sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter