What medication do you take to relieve flight anxiety?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all. As you know, i'm flying tomorrow. My ear still hurts & i'm anxious about flying with that, but I get very panicy when I fly even in general. Just thinking about being so high up there frightens me.

Last year when we flew home from our Paradise Miami cruise to NY, I took 1 pill called "aloprazam" (my doctor prescribed it for me when I told him I need something when I fly. I know the name sounds wierd, it was the generic version on something.) Well, 1 pill did nothing, I was tight as a drum with nervousness my whole flight. The directions said to take 1 to 3, but I only took one since I had never taken a tranquilizer before.

This year, I got 2 different prescriptions for my flying anxiety and I was wondering if anyone takes them and how much. I don't want the same thing to happen last year when 1 pill did nothing to calm my nerves.

The 1st one is "Diazepam 5mg" (it says substituted for valium), it says take 1 tablet every day as needed.

The other is "Lorazepam" 1 mg. It says take 1 tablet every 6 hours needed for anxiety panic attack / no more than 5 tabs daily.

If anyone has tried either of these, let me know what you think. I feel so silly to be posting this, my rational mind knows that flying is much, much safer than driving. It's just that for no reason, when I was in my 20's I got terrified of flying. I love to travel, so it's something I need to get past.

Thanks for any advice,
Marina

Hi Marina, Thank you for being so honest. I'm sure there are others who have anxiety about flying, who were afraid to talk about it. I am not a doctor. I just wanted to show my support!

Good luck!

Ursula

Hi Marina,

I had to smile when I saw your post because I too suffer from anxiety when I fly. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster, never knowing when the next dip will happen! I take Lorazepam, I start with 1 mg. about 1 hr. before I board the plane. If I'm not feeling any relief, then I take 1/2 of one - so basically 1 1/2 tablets I have found do the trick for me.

So, just know that you are not alone and it makes me feel good that I'm not either!!!

I'm already getting anxious for my flight and it's not until 7/29.

Mandy

Okay, don't laugh because I am serious here, but last year, before WDW, I had a panic attack in the bathroom of the airport.

I splashed cold water on my face until I could calm down, and once on the plane ordered a wine as quickly as possible. It's amazing how much just a glass of wine helped my nerves...

This year I plan on having a glass before I leave home since we have an early flight and the airport bars won't be open...LOL!

hey

Im not sure if this will help flight anxiety, but it helps my anxiety. I take Zoloft and Celexa everynight. Theyre prescription pills. I've been haveing panic attacks since 5th grade and these seem to help me alot. The Celexa is for anxiety so i would suggest that. Hope i helped:sunny:

I second the Lorazepam idea...

I have a very stressful job and I use one every so often (1 or 2 a month) and it helps...

When we were leaving on our first WDW trip (Dh&I) I had to take one because I was freaking out...Works great...You might even sleep on the plane.

There is no shame in getting help...Knowing your limits is a good thing.

I hope all works out.
:wave2:

VODKA. One Glass or two - A screw driver if morning or vodka lemonade if in the afternoon, and you'll be home free!

Yep, Xanex.

It gets rid of the edge I get when I travel. I'm no longer screaming at my husband and kids and I'm able to enjoy myself.

I think Lorazepam is the generic, but I'm not a pharmacist!

one more thing, my favorte story about Xanex. My mother always gets stressed before big events. I suggested Xanex to her -- her reply "NO, I wouldn't want to take druuuuuggs!"

But a few martinis....thats okay!!!!

Whatever it takes to make the fun start...

I have taken Xanax and Ativan, both which knock me on my rear! I have been to counseling for fear of flying (or dying?) which helped for my last flight at least (I flew with no meds for the first time in a few years!). I haven't flown since Feb, and I will probably go in for another appt before Sept. The therapy is called EMDR and worked great! If you are trying to really overcome your fear vs. just masking it, it may be for you!

I am sooo happy that other people have this problem. My poor family always has to drive everywhere because I won't get on a plane. This time we have limited time so I am going to have to fly and I am already dreading it!

Will the lorazepam knock me out or make me goofy if I take it? Traveling with DH and kids so don't really want to pass out.

Thanks!:crazy:

Bring a small bottle of Vodka in your purse, get some orange juice in the airport and mix two or three drinks. Then while flying continue to do this, you will have a wonderful time flying! If you are taking Valuum or Xanax you only have to drink about half the amount.

:crazy: :wave: :teeth:

Hi
Xanax the night before, so you wont have bad dreams, and another one hour before the flight.
Hope it helps

Lydia

does anyone else sleep, 2 hours or less, the morning before their trip like me, because of travel anxiety

Ask your doctor about Lorazepam because it's a prescription.

It just calms me down, some say it makes them sluggish but not ever goofy...You are not drunk, you just get calmer.

I hope that helps.

Originally posted by ann-e-mator
Okay, don't laugh because I am serious here, but last year, before WDW, I had a panic attack in the bathroom of the airport.

I splashed cold water on my face until I could calm down, and once on the plane ordered a wine as quickly as possible. It's amazing how much just a glass of wine helped my nerves...

This year I plan on having a glass before I leave home since we have an early flight and the airport bars won't be open...LOL!

I am not laughing at you, I drink 2 Bloody Mary's and fall asleep.

Originally posted by PhotobearSam
Ask your doctor about Lorazepam because it's a prescription.

It just calms me down, some say it makes them sluggish but not ever goofy...You are not drunk, you just get calmer.

I hope that helps.

My mom takes lorazepam (ativan), it helps her.

If you are taking something new, I would try one before the day of your trip to see how you will react.

Lorazapam most definitely. It just takes the "edge" off. The first time I used it, the doctor had me try it about week before when I was not planning anything to make sure it worked. It did and now I just call my doctor before I fly and she prescribes a few for the trip.
I always loved flying until I had kids, now for some reason the anxiety is overwelming. The lorazapam is just the thing.
Caren

Hi! I hope you will find something that will work out for you.

I just want to agree with whoever said you really need to do a trial run well before your trip with whatever medication(s) you want to use. You never know what reaction you might have to a new medication. Our pediatrician recommended Benadryl to help our very active toddler sleep on a very long flight but advised me to give DS a trial dose a week before to check his reaction. Unfortunately rather than making DS drowsy, the Benadryl made him bounce off the walls! I was so glad we didn't try the Benadryl for the very first time ON the flight! :crazy:

Have a wonderful trip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter