What is your opinion on the United Kingdom?

Red wine tastes moldy to me. (I'm pretty sure it's my nose/mouth picking up on the fermentation and misinterpreting it ... And I can't explain why it does it with red wine but not other fermented foods... But it just does.)

That's really more of a weird quirk than a controversial food opinion. 😅

My dad was a collector of wierd stuff

Most notably.... National washboards... cobalt poison bottles.... WW2 items ... oriental rugs and guns

Yep.
Twice a year. A week in December and a week or two in March. :)

So you potentially would miss 3 weeks of school in a year for vacation? It was a public school?

Our county has a 5 day "unexcused absences" limit (which, even with a parent note it's still considered unexcused).

We had a lot of drive by wakes here, the saddest one I know of was a young mother in her 30’s (cancer, not covid), and they had a sheet out so folks could drop cards and Mass cards. Tons of drive by birthdays, learned to distinguish the sirens from actual fires. We had a close friend pass away too young a couple of months ago (my husbands best friend) and we got to go to the wake (with masks), but we gathered the night he died with his family, everyone was vaccinated and it was the first “normal “ we all had (sadly no one except family was permitted to visit him in the hospital).
:flower3: These are hard things indeed. We have been deprived of so much more than just vacations this past 15 months. Grace and peace to you and yours.

My BIL has recently been diagnosed with end-stage cancer and is accepting comfort measures only. He's still at home but does have a plan to move to a lovely hospice facility when it's time. We are all greatly relieved to hear that they've recently relaxed their restrictions and anyone can visit (one at a time) as long as they are masked, maintain distancing and submit to and pass a Covid-screening questionnaire. We are also all vaccinated (as are all the facility personnel, so they tell us), FWIW, but there is no provision for taking that into account here just yet.

So you potentially would miss 3 weeks of school in a year for vacation? It was a public school?

Our county has a 5 day "unexcused absences" limit (which, even with a parent note it's still considered unexcused).

Yep. Back in the 70’s.

But even these days in Ontario Elementary Public Schools, missing school is no big deal. There are no repercussions. Families who are gone for 15 consecutive school days or more are demitted, so they need to re-enroll upon returning. That’s it.

In high school/college my group of friends were into pranks. One put an opossum outside my front door, rang the bell and ran. I freaked. My dad (country boy) said close the door, turn off the light, leave him alone and he will leave. It worked!

when we were in grade school/jr high we would hog tie this one kid and drop him on a doorstep ring the bell and run.

Yup, at least once a year before I was homeschooled. When I was homeschooled my mother would take me on trips 3 or 4 times a year with no real concern for the school schedule. Sometimes I would take work and sometimes I would leave it at home, often dependent on deadlines. I still managed to get into college (a competitive one too) and do just fine. Once I was in college I only travelled during breaks, but there were more breaks, so not that different overall.

Before I was homeschooled I remember friends from my class going on vacation throughout the year too. I don’t know when the super strict policies I hear about now started.

During my childhood the family never took anything even close to what I consider a vacation by our standards today and whatever travelling we did do was at Christmas or in the summer. I did take DS out of school several times for our vacations.

Cigarettes. Both of my parents smoked when I was growing up and have both developed serious health problems because of it (which of course, is everyone's fault but their own). My dad even offered to buy my mom a brand new Corvette if she'd quit and she wouldn't. She has since because of her illnesses, but my dad still occasionally hides outside and smokes, and she complains nonstop about it 🙄

Youngest sister lived the life of Riley. Mother was financially stable by then; her father adored her.
Not helping her later in her life but she has the memories I suppose.

Never, but I pulled my son for a week until he hit middle school and it was too hard to make up the work. I miss our slower time trips 🙃

Nope, but we really didn't travel much other than visiting family and that was better in the summer when the cousins were off school too. It wouldn't have been much fun to go and have no other kids to play with because they were all at school.

As the oldest of four, they got away with everything.

I wasn’t allowed to have my boyfriend in my room, even with the door open. By the time my youngest brother had a girlfriend, she was allowed to spend the night…in his room no less.

My parents took me out once or twice a year and I do the same with my kids. And I have great memories of those trips but I wouldnt be able to tell you a thing that I learned in those weeks had I been in school. Memories are more important than missing a week of school in the long run. I always say that you wont be on your death bed wishing you would’ve spent more time in school or work, but you will be wishing to have made more memories with the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter