What is your least favourite type of Tattoo?

I hate tattoos on the calves now lol. I met someone who I dealt with a few times and then the first time I saw her with shorts on she had these gigantic circular tattoos on both calves, both of which were fading in colour and just weird looking. I gag just thinking about it.

Not a fan of large, distracting tattoos. I’ve seen some very pretty, small, ankle ones, though.

This thread reminds me of a story ...

Preface: I am a 46 year old woman, my best friend is 48 years old.

About 10 years ago I get a phone call from my best friend who is all giddy in Vegas (not drunk, she isn't a big drinker) because her and a colleague decided to get tattoos spur of the moment.

:scared1: what, What and WHAT ? ! ? ! ? !

So I then ask what prompted this, and what are you getting? She wasn't sure, but they both thought it sounded like fun. Well, seeing that I think permanently marking your body isn't something to do on a whim (esp when you are not 22 years old) I start telling her I think it is stupid. Hey, that's what best friends are for. She says I am being a prude. So ... I did it. I'll admit it wasn't my finest moment, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I pulled out the "what would your Mom who is looking down at you from heaven think?" card. I went there, and it worked! I convinced the two to get henna tattoos instead. If they liked it after 2 weeks, then they could go get permanent ones at home.

BTW, neither of them got permanent tattoos. You're welcome, ladies. :rotfl2:

We don't bring that story up often, but to this day she still thanks me, even though I went below the belt with my tactics.

Funny how different people view things.
I think it's better to decide on something permanent at 46 instead of 22. I am definitely not the same person I was back then and any tattoo I chose back then would probably be changed or removed by now. I'm pretty sure I won't be changing much in the next 40 years.
I don't understand the judgment of people with tattoos, or that they somehow "say" something negative about a person. My dh feels that way, which is one of the reasons I didn't pursue my young fantasy of getting one, but I don't really care anymore. If to him I suddenly become a different person because I choose to get some permanent ink on my body then he's the one people should be saying something negative about ::yes::
I mean half or family, including our own dd, and a number of our friends have them. How can somebody know and love these people and still judge tattoos :rolleyes:

Funny how different people view things.
I think it's better to decide on something permanent at 46 instead of 22. I am definitely not the same person I was back then and any tattoo I chose back then would probably be changed or removed by now. I'm pretty sure I won't be changing much in the next 40 years.
I don't understand the judgment of people with tattoos, or that they somehow "say" something negative about a person. My dh feels that way, which is one of the reasons I didn't pursue my young fantasy of getting one, but I don't really care anymore. If to him I suddenly become a different person because I choose to get some permanent ink on my body then he's the one people should be saying something negative about ::yes::
I mean half or family, including our own dd, and a number of our friends have them. How can somebody know and love these people and still judge tattoos :rolleyes:

It wasn't about her age (she was 38 at the time, it was 10 years ago) it was about doing it on a whim. She had never expressed wanting to get a tattoo before, that is what I was blindsided about. You are more likely to get a tattoo in your 20's on a whim because you aren't thinking down the road, where as in your 30's your mindset is more mature. She was caught up in a fun moment and I thought it was something she would regret later, so I expressed my feelings as any true friend would do. I really thought she would regret it down the road ... turns out, I was right. She is glad I talked her out of it.

I never ever said I judged her negatively about getting a tattoo. But as her best friend I felt compelled to tell her my feelings just as I would want her to do the same if she thought it would be something I would regret.

I am not saying I don't judge people with tattoos, if you walk by me covered in tats all over your neck and face I am going to wonder. But a good portion of my friends have tattoos and I could care less. And I wouldn't have cared if my best friend got that tattoo. But like I said, as her friend I wanted to make sure she wasn't going into a permanent decision without really thinking it through.

I don't like tattoos of phrases. A single word or name is fine, but more than that is cringe.

Also, face or neck tattoos. No.

I'm not a fan of tattoos at all but I inadvertently ended up being responsible for someone's tattoo. I drew a picture for a friend/co-worker, thinking it was going to be used on a T-shirt. A few days later, he came in to work with my drawing tattooed on his arm. It is kinda cool that he liked it so much he made it a permanent part of his body.

It wasn't about her age (she was 38 at the time, it was 10 years ago) it was about doing it on a whim. She had never expressed wanting to get a tattoo before, that is what I was blindsided about. You are more likely to get a tattoo in your 20's on a whim because you aren't thinking down the road, where as in your 30's your mindset is more mature. She was caught up in a fun moment and I thought it was something she would regret later, so I expressed my feelings as any true friend would do. I really thought she would regret it down the road ... turns out, I was right. She is glad I talked her out of it.

I never ever said I judged her negatively about getting a tattoo. But as her best friend I felt compelled to tell her my feelings just as I would want her to do the same if she thought it would be something I would regret.

I am not saying I don't judge people with tattoos, if you walk by me covered in tats all over your neck and face I am going to wonder. But a good portion of my friends have tattoos and I could care less. And I wouldn't have cared if my best friend got that tattoo. But like I said, as her friend I wanted to make sure she wasn't going into a permanent decision without really thinking it through.

I get what you are saying, and my comment about judgment was just a general statement based on some posts in this thread, not just yours specifically.
As for you talking your friend out of it, if that is how your relationship with your best friend works then that's good. If it were me and my best friend, I'd respect and support her decision after all she's an adult, ran her own business, now works full time, volunteers with a few organizations and has raised 3 wonderful kids. Perfectly capable of making her own life decisions. Her doing something on a whim, even a tattoo isn't something I'd ask her what her mother would think, unless she was like 12. IMO that falls into a little to much into shaming category, but to each their own.

I get what you are saying, and my comment about judgment was just a general statement based on some posts in this thread, not just yours specifically.
As for you talking your friend out of it, if that is how your relationship with your best friend works then that's good. If it were me and my best friend, I'd respect and support her decision after all she's an adult, ran her own business, now works full time, volunteers with a few organizations and has raised 3 wonderful kids. Perfectly capable of making her own life decisions. Her doing something on a whim, even a tattoo isn't something I'd ask her what her mother would think, unless she was like 12. IMO that falls into a little to much into shaming category, but to each their own.

Oh give me a break. I know she is a capable person.

In that brief moment though, I thought she was making a hasty decision she would regret. In the 20+ years of knowing (and living) with her she had never mentioned getting a tattoo before. I thought it was a very spur of the moment decision, and one she really wasn't thinking through. So as her best friend, I told her what I thought. And I was truthful with the "mom card." I knew her mom, and I knew she wouldn't have liked it.

Personally, I'd much rather be blunt and honest in the moment than having her come back and asking me why didn't I stop her from getting it down the road. Something she has told me she would have done.

You can have a different relationship with your best friend, and I totally respect that. But please don't say I was shaming her, I didn't. I was being a friend. I wasn't mean about it, I genuinely thought she would regret it so I spoke up.

You're right. People are perfectly capable of making their own life decisions. It's up to them to decide if they'll accept the judgement that people will put on them. And anyone who says they don't judge others is lying. Your best friend takes up smoking or vaping. You wouldn't judge? It's just "they can make their own decisions"?

I'm sure I can give a bunch of other examples if I really think about it.

You're right. People are perfectly capable of making their own life decisions. It's up to them to decide if they'll accept the judgement that people will put on them. And anyone who says they don't judge others is lying. Your best friend takes up smoking or vaping. You wouldn't judge? It's just "they can make their own decisions"?

I'm sure I can give a bunch of other examples if I really think about it.

That’s the thing, if she would’ve said at any time in the years I’ve known her she wanted to get a tattoo, then I would’ve not given it a second thought! I would’ve told her to send a pic when it was done. But since it was never brought up in our friendship (and we have mentioned guys we dated who had tats), I questioned it. As I would expect her to do for me! A tattoo is permanent! That’s why I suggested the henna and if she loved it, then get the real thing.

But heck yeah, no doubt I would question and confront friends I thought were making unsound decisions (smoking, drugs, drinking & driving, affairs, etc.) We are ALL human and make mistakes. Some bigger than others. So it’s important to have friends who’ll be upfront to help keep you on the straight and narrow.

That’s what you do when you love someone. You don’t sit back and watch and then say “I knew it!” after the fact. Lord knows my friends have helped me! I’m grateful for their honesty.

I like to think that *most* people actually gave their tattoos some thought before they got them, and that they mean something. Or meant something to them at the time.
I have a small, adorable cartoony penguin on my ankle that I got last year, at 37 years old. It's not just super cute, it actually does mean something.

I'm not a tattoo fan, but live and let live. I really don't like the on the face, but I'm also not a fan of piercings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter