What are your favourite but long to prepare meals?

I’m also going to say Thanksgiving Dinner and Lasagna.

Another would be Lasagna Spinach Rolls which is always enjoyed at our house 🙂👍🏼

Along those lines, golumpki. My grandma was not the best cook, but she knew how to do these. My Dad's are really good too, but my grandma's were just a little bit better. shhhh 🤫
Oh... my... heaven... those were the best! My brother and I used to call them "Gum-keys" LOL just to make grandma correct us! I always think they are best from the original source. 😉

Along those lines, golumpki. My grandma was not the best cook, but she knew how to do these. My Dad's are really good too, but my grandma's were just a little bit better. shhhh 🤫

I choose golumpki as well. They take foreeeeeeever, but it's always worth it. I only make them once a year or so because of all the work involved.

Chili. I slow cook it all day in a crock pot, cool it down and put it in the fridge till the next day then turn it back on for about 3 hours.

Ribs, lasagna, and Thanksgiving are getting another vote here.

Lasagna might be the longest, b/c since I make it dairy/nut free, I have to scratch make the entire bechamel, not just my tomato/meat addition, so that takes awhile...

I would have to agree with this post. My great grandmother made the best golumpki's in the world. She's been gone for years and years, but I still smile when I take the time to make them. They never taste quite the same though......

Chicken Alfredo lasagna
Stuffed shells

Neither are particularly difficult, but they are both time consuming with a lot of steps.

The most fiddly (the ones I've got a lot to do):

Lasagna -- lots of different steps
Pot pie (with whatever leftover meat) -- lots of cutting (but super tasty!)
Jambalaya -- steps and cutting

I don't really count the ones that the crockpot, oven, or stove have to do, because I don't have to tend them.

I would have to agree with this post. My great grandmother made the best golumpki's in the world. She's been gone for years and years, but I still smile when I take the time to make them. They never taste quite the same though......
My (paternal) grandmother taught my mom how to make gołabki and even gave her her big pot. I know at least one secret was to layer in salt pork between the rolls.

chili, pot roast, and applesauce. Thanksgiving takes a long time but everyone chips in, which really helps. My husband makes the turkey and the kids help with the sides. My sister visits and chips in where she's needed.

A Korean bbq spread, if only because there are so many side dishes, and some of them are fermented (so days for me to get it all ready). For a one day long dish, gumbo.

Jambalaya -- steps and cutting

this is it for me. the recipe i have has so many steps but they are all vital to ensure the flavors layer correctly. i tend to do all the prep work of cutting, measuring spices and such the day before the actual cooking will occur.

Goulash, though I still haven't been able to get it right. I think I need hotter peppers than recipes have called for, it never had the heat of my favorite restaurant's version. That was a solid two hours of active prep, then hours of simmering.

Lots of long hands off cooking times added to folks stating it takes a long time to prepare a meal.

Chili may take 8 hours to cook in a slow cooker, but it takes a mere few minutes to actually prepare.

Lasagna too, unless you are preparing your own sauce, is just boiling noodles while you brown ground beef. 8 minutes later put it together and toss in the oven. Very fast preparing.

I batch cook to put in meals in the freezer so everything takes a long time. Frying up 40 sausage patties then 40 fried eggs for breakfast sandwiches takes a long time, but then I don't have to do it again for 40 days (if that's all I eat for breakfast.) That's because I can't fit a bunch on my griddle. Pork chops however, it takes just as long to cook 1 pork chop on the grill as it does to cook 40.

Lots of long hands off cooking times added to folks stating it takes a long time to prepare a meal.

Chili may take 8 hours to cook in a slow cooker, but it takes a mere few minutes to actually prepare.

Lasagna too, unless you are preparing your own sauce, is just boiling noodles while you brown ground beef. 8 minutes later put it together and toss in the oven. Very fast preparing.

I batch cook to put in meals in the freezer so everything takes a long time. Frying up 40 sausage patties then 40 fried eggs for breakfast sandwiches takes a long time, but then I don't have to do it again for 40 days (if that's all I eat for breakfast.) That's because I can't fit a bunch on my griddle. Pork chops however, it takes just as long to cook 1 pork chop on the grill as it does to cook 40.
My Italian grandmother would be spinning in her grave if I even THOUGHT about using sauce from a jar! Also, real lasagna has 3 meats (in my recipe, ground beef, sausage, and bacon--cooked at different times. You cook the bacon first, then cook the vegetables--onions, carrots, celery--in the rendered fat). Three cheeses as well--mozzarella, of course, but then the ricotta is mixed with a beaten egg and some parmesan. I DO cheat and use pre-shredded mozzarella--making it as a child, we had to cut the mozzarella into tiny cubes.

That said, the recipe on the back of the Prince lasagna noodle box is a decent quick lasagna recipe--not as good as mine, of course, but not bad for throwing together, if you don't have an Italian grandmother cursing you from beyond the grave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter