Water bottles in checked luggage

I actually depends. I think it is part of a question in the trivial persuit game.

No, one pound of anything is still one pound. A pound is a unit of weight - it isn't dependent on volume or anything. Think about it. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks.

No, one pound of anything is still one pound. A pound is a unit of weight - it isn't dependent on volume or anything. Think about it. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of rocks.

Nope. And I do believe it was feathers that was mentioned. They don't measure weight the same way for everything.

Nope. And I do believe it was feathers that was mentioned. They don't measure weight the same way for everything.

The question you're thinking of is, "Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" This is a trick question because they use troy weight (which is an entirely different scale) for gold. That's why they specify troy ounces (or pounds) when talking about gold, but we aren't talking about gold. I assure you, one pound of water weighs one pound.

Isn't that just typical of Disney, to make one pound of water weigh 10 pounds? :)

A US gallon (128 fluid oz) of water weighs about 8.34 pounds so you could approximate the weight by looking at the total fluid ounces of the water and dividing by 16. In other words, 16 oz bottles would be about one pound each, 24 ounce bottles would be about 1-1/2 pounds each.

An Imperial gallon (UK) weighs 10 pounds by definition (at a specified temperature and pressure) so maybe that is what the PP was remembering.

The question you're thinking of is, "Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?" This is a trick question because they use troy weight (which is an entirely different scale) for gold. That's why they specify troy ounces (or pounds) when talking about gold, but we aren't talking about gold. I assure you, one pound of water weighs one pound.

Yep that is it. :)

I never stated that a pound of water didn't weigh a pound. I actually was answering someone who thought that a pound is a pound is a pound. Which it is not. Now hopefully we can move on.

This topic always cracks me up...every time I've seen it come up you have people who absolutely think taking water in suitcases is a great idea and then you have just as many people who simply can't imagine doing it. And invariably it ends up turning into a discussion of how much water weighs, if it weighs more when it's frozen and does a pound of one thing weigh more than a pound of another thing.

It's just water!! Who cares??? If you want to take it in your suitcase then take it, if you want to have it shipped then have it shipped and if you want to buy it once you get there then that's ok too!!:):)

And for the record...1ml of water weighs 1g (grams). A common size of water bottle is 500ml (half a litre). One pound is 454g so a 500ml bottle would weigh 500g which is just over 1 pound (454g). So a case of 24 bottles would be right around 25lbs.

This topic always cracks me up...every time I've seen it come up you have people who absolutely think taking water in suitcases is a great idea and then you have just as many people who simply can't imagine doing it. And invariably it ends up turning into a discussion of how much water weighs, if it weighs more when it's frozen and does a pound of one thing weigh more than a pound of another thing.

It's just water!! Who cares??? If you want to take it in your suitcase then take it, if you want to have it shipped then have it shipped and if you want to buy it once you get there then that's ok too!!:):)

And for the record...1ml of water weighs 1g (grams). A common size of water bottle is 500ml (half a litre). One pound is 454g so a 500ml bottle would weigh 500g which is just over 1 pound (454g). So a case of 24 bottles would be right around 25lbs.

I Care!!! Because if the water does open and spill, there is a risk of my suitcase/clothes etc being impacted. Not fair, in my opinion.

You're probably spending several thousand dollars on your vacation - especially if you fly to Orlando. Save your money a little longer so you can afford to buy your beverages after you arrive.

It's just water!! Who cares??? If you want to take it in your suitcase then take it, if you want to have it shipped then have it shipped and if you want to buy it once you get there then that's ok too!!

I agree. Go ahead and pack water if you want to deal with the hassle. Just for the record, I have packed wine in checked baggage plenty of times and never had anything break or leak.

How many water bottles are you planning on packing? Remember there are pretty high charges for checking overweight luggage.

I don't bring water but have checked bottles of wine and rum (well wrapped, and the rum was a smaller bottle and was inside a Ziploc). Personally I've never understood the fascination with bottled water, as you can get free water anywhere in the US, but I don't have an issue with the taste of tap water. A lot of brands of bottled water are actually filtered tap water, and you can get a cup of filtered water free, with ice, from any CS restaurant in the parks (you may have to wait in line for it though)

Personally I've never understood the fascination with bottled water, as you can get free water anywhere in the US, but I don't have an issue with the taste of tap water. A lot of brands of bottled water are actually filtered tap water, and you can get a cup of filtered water free, with ice, from any CS restaurant in the parks (you may have to wait in line for it though)

I also don't understand the fascination with bottled water. Filtered tap water works fine for me.

Also, filtered water with ice works for me.

I Care!!! Because if the water does open and spill, there is a risk of my suitcase/clothes etc being impacted. Not fair, in my opinion.

There's also a risk of your suitcase/clothes getting a heck of a lot more wet from getting poured on in the rain waiting to get loaded on the plane.

What is in your bag, that will get ruined if it gets wet? What are you taking to Florida that is so precious? Electronics? Heck, I'm packing mine in my carry-on. Even if I had to pack my electronics, I'd have it in plastic for protection.

The idea of packing water in my carry-on, (oops, I mean checked luggage) is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever read. Does it never occur to anyone to just...buy water in Florida??? Or even, (gasp) just drink the tap water??

I've survived many trips to Florida and drank tap water or just bought myself a beverage there. I guess I'm lucky.

How do you keep your luggage safe from the rain? Last July we left Orlando during a huge T-storm. Our luggage got absolutely soaked as well as most stuff inside of it from the RAIN as it was being loaded onto the airplane.

If you have stuff in your luggage that is that sensitive to the minute amount of water that may leak from the inside of someone's suitcase to the inside of yours from a 16 oz. water bottle than you really need to rethink what you pack because you would be devastated if you had rain as I did!

Now I feel differently about wine and fruit juice etc. that is not properly protected because that is sticky and can potentially stain. But water is water and it dries! You really need to be cautious in case of rain. Downpours are very common in Orlando!

I take along one EMPTY waterbottle, some packages of crystal lite or gatorade and keep it in the fridge at the resort. Otherwise we get the refillable mugs for use in our room and at the parks if we need a glass of water, we got up to a counter and ask for one.

I also take along a couple disposable cups with lids & straw and a small container to mix up carnation instant breakfast for DS7 with milk I buy at the resort store for his breakfast.

I once flew to Cabo with spagettios, juice boxes and premixed carnation instant breakfast in my luggage, but that was because I had a picky 2 year old with us and we stayed in a house and not at a hotel/resort with easy access to amenities.

Now I feel differently about wine and fruit juice etc. that is not properly protected because that is sticky and can potentially stain. But water is water and it dries! ...

Water can and will stain; leather and silk are good examples of things that can be permanently ruined by just water. More importantly, dye from the linings of luggage have been known to run when they get wet, and if that happens you are just toasted, because that dye is very difficult to remove. (Also, if a bag gets misdirected and spends a couple of days in a hot bag room, a little bit of water can quickly become a whole lot of mildew.)

I've traveled for business for years, and my softside luggage does NOT absorb water from rain; water only gets in when it gets poured directly onto the zippers. As a general rule, quality luggage will not normally take in water unless it is submerged, but the more loosely-packed a bag is, the more likely is it for liquids to penetrate.

If you are packing thin liquids, the best approach is to pack them in layers. Wrap the bottle in plastic, then put a towel or a thick layer of paper towels around that, then bag up the entire package a second time. If the inner bag leaks, absorbent material will keep it contained better than the plastic barrier alone. The most common reason for leakage in checked baggage isn't puncture or shattered bottles; it is a leaking cap seal caused by the rapid pressure changes as the plane ascends and descends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter