Wanting Riviera but not its resale restrictions

I saw a post on another thread about this. As a seller, stripping seems to provide a better value. Even if you rent the points out you would get more money than if you left it in the contract. That being said as a buyer it would definitely make the contract less appealing to me personally but that's because I want instant points 🤣!
I won’t consider one. I want a December use year and with the borrowing limit, buying a stripped contract means spending an awful lot of money to not be able to plan a trip until 2023. Not happening.

I also wont consider a stripped contract and yes it does seem one broker has mostly stripped contracts vs other brokers.

Thank you all for this discussion, it's adding a lot to my thought process. We have been looking at a resale add-on from different resorts. However, it seems most likely to me that when the 2042 resorts near the end of their time, however DVC repackages those resorts they will be subject to the new restrictions that RIV is. As a resale buyer suddenly BCV, BWV, BRV, HHI, VB, would all not be available to use. To me, that severely decreases the value of any resale contract. At this point I'm thinking to either buy an add-on direct unless resale gets back to something reasonable, more in line with Jan 2020 pricing.

I also wont consider a stripped contract and yes it does seem one broker has mostly stripped contracts vs other brokers.

Thank you all for this discussion, it's adding a lot to my thought process. We have been looking at a resale add-on from different resorts. However, it seems most likely to me that when the 2042 resorts near the end of their time, however DVC repackages those resorts they will be subject to the new restrictions that RIV is. As a resale buyer suddenly BCV, BWV, BRV, HHI, VB, would all not be available to use. To me, that severely decreases the value of any resale contract. At this point I'm thinking to either buy an add-on direct unless resale gets back to something reasonable, more in line with Jan 2020 pricing.

Realistically, in 21 years, will you be upset if you couldn't stay in the Boardwalk area with those resale points? It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't rent those "undesirable" points from BLT, CCV, SSR, OKW, GF, or AKV and then rent a Boardwalk area reservation from someone with home resort advantage at RIV or whatever replaced BCV and BWV.

Those L14 resale points can stay at CCV, so losing BRV doesn't end your ability to stay at the Wilderness Lodge complex post 2042.

I think the writing is on the wall for HHI and VB being sold in 2043; it is doubtful DVC will re-develop them.

All of this assumes that DVC won't offer extensions for some of these resorts. Extensions have been hotly debated here on DISBoards, so if you're interested in those discussions, read any of the 32k threads on them. I'm not going to offer a statement whether they will or won't happen, to prevent this from becoming yet another one of those.

Yes I've read some of the threads on extensions and OKW.

Why do you think "the writing is on the wall for HHI and VB being sold in 2043; it is doubtful DVC will re-develop them"? HHI at least is extremely popular and difficult to book.

Realistically, in 21 years, will you be upset if you couldn't stay in the Boardwalk area with those resale points? It wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't rent those "undesirable" points from BLT, CCV, SSR, OKW, GF, or AKV and then rent a Boardwalk area reservation from someone with home resort advantage at RIV or whatever replaced BCV and BWV.

I don't plan on holding for 21 years, but even then SSR is still a Disney resort with a cheap legacy chart, and I don't see how BLT is ever in anyone's undesirable point list. I expect the charts to keep inflating, which will make the old charts look like the 2042 charts look now. I imagine BCV2 in 21 years will melt your face with the number of points it will take, and your RIV points will run scared.

If the charts keep expanding, points in general are less and less valuable, unless they have legacy charts and booking advantages. That booking advantage could matter even more than now, not unlike current BC. I don't see how RIV booking advantage matters for a long time. RIV's chart is high, and I would expect Coronado 2 on the skyliner eventually, an obvious expansion to me, with pretty much the same location issues.

here’s a ton of overly stripped contracts too that don’t have points until 2023.
Some of those might be "force me to sell" listings.

The board sponsor seems to encourage stripping before listing?
I think this is smart. The market seems to consistently under-value loaded contracts, and over-value stripped ones. In fact...if I were looking for a side hustle, buying/stripping/selling might be a lot more profitable than buying to rent long term.

(No, I'm not looking for a side hustle.)
HHI at least is extremely popular and difficult to book.
Year round, or seasonally? Hilton head has a lot of properties that are in better locations---some of which are timeshares. I can see it as a "take a break from WDW" destination once in a while, but if I was going there regularly, HHI would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

By the way, not sure if you or anyone has noticed. There are a WHOLE LOTTA BLT contracts selling right now on resale. Not sure what's causing this flood of listings but might be a great time to negotiate a great price. Is there something up with BLT that I'm missing? Never seen so many listings.
but the problem is they are all priced as moon shots and no one will budge. Makes me think they are really not on the market.

The stripped contracts have been sitting for a while. The board sponsor seems to encourage stripping before listing?
I ignore all the stripped contracts. I assume it is people who have put in reservations and put the contracts up for sale at high prices. They will only sell for ridiculous amounts and when the new points come they will continue to strip them or pull the listing.

I always eye roll when I see a BWV or BCV with points through 2023 stripped. That is over 10% of the value left on the contracts. Who would buy these?

Last edited:
Year round, or seasonally? Hilton head has a lot of properties that are in better locations---some of which are timeshares. I can see it as a "take a break from WDW" destination once in a while, but if I was going there regularly, HHI would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

Yeah, several Marriott timeshares are right on the ocean instead of needing a shuttle to a separate beach house. Plenty of less expensive rentals away the ocean comparable to DVC HHI.

At this point, I agree that DVC execs are still feeling burned by Aulani (potential buyer, "Great resort! Love to stay there sometime!" - DVC guide, "Would you like to purchase?" - potential buyer, "LOL, no wayz!") and would definitely spin off HHI if the decision were being made right now.

I think your math works out 😊. My only suggestion is to maybe buy the 300 points in a few contracts. One has to be 150 points if you are a new DVC member, but then you could buy two 75 points ones too. That way if you ever want to downsize it’s much easier to do so without losing your blue card. It’s about $250 in fees per extra contract but totally worth it it IMHO.

That’s why my family just did. We bought 200 points at RIV split into a 150 pt contract and 50 pt contract. We wanted to take advantage of the incentives at 200 points, but have the flexibility in case we choose to sell in the next 49 years. Extra closing costs were only a few hundred dollars.

Said it before, will say it again:
The effect of the resale restrictions is greatly exaggerated.

1 -- Can only stay in 1 resort. How many DVC owners primarily stay in their home resort anyway? Do lots of GFV owners try to use their points at SSR? Lots of owners mostly already stay primarily at their home resort. I was just checking the inventory for 7 months from now -- There were only a handful of options for studios. No studios at BRV, BLT, RIV, GFV, BWV, BCV, or CCV. If you travel around holiday periods especially, trade options are very limited at 7 months. So owning at "just one resort" is not always much different than owning unrestricted points.
2-- Very soon, Riviera will probably be the only Epcot area resort with any long term value. BCV and BWV are both entering their final stretch. In 2030, there won't exactly be a big re-sale market for a contract with only 10 years left, while Riviera still has 40 years left. And with access to both DHS and Epcot, there will always be a demand for the Epcot area resorts. If you're buying now, you are planning on holding until at least 2030. So realistically, which of the 3 will have the best resale value: "Unrestricted" BWV and BCV with only 10 years left, or RIV with 40 years left. And if new DVC is added to the Epcot area, it will almost certainly have the same restrictions.
3--Any diminished resale value is already baked into the direct price. Yes, RIV resale may be less than GFV resale, but RIV direct is a lot less than GFV direct. For the reasons 1 and 2, RIV resale won't be worthless. For the right price, lots of people would accept the resale restrictions. So if the price is $30 less than a GFV resale, ok.... but it was a cheaper direct purchase too.
4-- Future resorts will have similar restrictions. And the old resorts will have the restriction of not being able to use numerous newer resorts. So in 15-20 years, the reality will likely be that the only way to get unrestricted is by buying direct. And all re-sale will have to deal with off-putting restrictions. A 15-20 year re-sale contract at SSR or AKV would have their value diminished if they couldn't be used at any of the Epcot resorts, for example.

To me, I can understand the resale restrictions pushing someone to buy direct as opposed to resale. But they wouldn't stop me from buying direct in 2021, because it might somehow affect the resale value in 2031-2041.

I like Riviera, and if I loved it, I’d consider buying direct, but I don’t think you can minimize the significance of the resale restrictions.

1. No one really knows where the Riviera resale price will settle in a few years, but there’s a distinct possibility it could be lower. I think most resale buyers want their contracts to retain value. So, for me there’s too much uncertainty regarding the long term worth of the contract, especially when statistics have owners starting to sell after 7 years. If I were going to buy resale, I’d wait a few years. Direct as well, since I’d have a better idea of my contract’s worth on the resale market.

2. I agree about the eroding value of BCV and BWV, but there are those who argue otherwise. If you know that you’re buying 12 years of vacations in 2030 at either resort, and crunch the numbers, I bet they will still be a good value. That said, personally, I wouldn’t own there.

3. When VGF2 goes on sale later this year, it will probably be priced within the same range, or the same as, Riviera, probably with zero resale restrictions. That sounds like a better value.

4. Not everyone books studios. My wife and I stay in one bedrooms, which are easier to book at seven months. Of course we love our home resorts, but it’s fun to “sleep around” too, especially for last minute bookings, when our home resorts are probably unavailable. So no last minute trips with Riviera resale. So that’s another hit to your contract‘s value on the resale market should you buy direct and wish to sell.

5. Future resorts. Hmm. What future resorts? There’s VGF2, which will be a good option. I love VGF and it’s one of our home resorts. Not counting the Disneyland Tower 3000 miles away, that’s about it. And its certainly not a completely new resort. Or a new building for that matter. In 20 years there will be BCV2 and BWV2, but that’s two decades away! Nothing new there either. I guess there’s always a chance Disney might revive Reflections, or build something even cooler, but if they did, I think I might rather own there than Riviera. But I think that might be 5-10 years away. And there’s no guarantee we’ll see an explosion of new mega resort construction at WDW anytime soon.

6. I think calling Riviera an Epcot area resort isn’t exactly true. I love the entire Crescent Lake vibe, and the boardwalk, and all the fun activity. There’s none of that at the Riviera. And though I haven’t timed it, I’d bet it’s about a half hour in travel time from one’s room at the Riviera to the Epcot Gate. It’s a fun journey on the skyline, but it’s still a journey.

Anyway, I still really like the Riviera. The facility and the rooms are beautiful. Stunning! And sooner or later I might buy direct. I think a contract there, though, would be a better add-on to a portfolio of points elsewhere.

Last edited:
I wonder what is going on a Disney internally. Riviera is not selling fast. It probably has, what, another 4-5 years to sell out (at least)? And on top of that they're going to sell VGF2 concurrently? Perhaps creating this "DVC2" with resale restrictions was not the bright idea they thought it was. I still don't think they'll rescind the restrictions but I do think they will eventually offer a way for resale buyers to buy their way out. It's going to be interesting to watch what happens.

I wonder what is going on a Disney internally. Riviera is not selling fast. It probably has, what, another 4-5 years to sell out (at least)?
RIV sold 66K pts last month and 60K in May. At its current average sold rate per month (79,090 pts), Riviera will sellout in Spring of 2026 (approx 4 years 9 months). Of course, COVID/2020 is weighing that average down, so one would expect sales to improve as the economy continues to recover.

https://www.dvcnews.com/dvc-program/financial/news-34867/5071-direct-sales-report-for-june-2021

Why do you think "the writing is on the wall for HHI and VB being sold in 2043; it is doubtful DVC will re-develop them"? HHI at least is extremely popular and difficult to book.
These two properties when redeveloped with the new resale restrictions will be hard sells and most likely would go really cheap on the resale market.

The resale prices for VB and HHI are abysmal. It shows that the majority of DVC's audience aren't interested in those locations as their primary destination. Compare the resale prices of these with those of any of the WDW properties. VB and HHI are at, or below, their initial offering prices. Every WDW property of similar age is well above the initial offering price. Then, there is Aulani, which has been on sale for 10 years without selling out, and has similarly low resale prices. DVC won't want to put VB and HHI back into their portfolio to sell a second time.

I would be all over a BLT at $135 pp (this is where the regression lines were last winter) but current supply is sold out. Obviously no one is buying BLT above 160 and I would say anyone over 140 got caught up in the hysteria. The big question is when will this spike return back to normal? Getting a direct RIV for the same price as a resale BLT seems like a no brainer. I understand the maintenance costs and think the blue card will make up that difference (I don't have one). The bigger issue in my mind with RIV is the point chart. It is fairly more expensive. decisions, decisions. BWV and BCV are awesome locations and my preferred spot, but the 21 year expiration makes the price per year to much. When will the market start pricing this in?
I’m also wondering when/if resale prices will go back to normal? I have been wanting an AKV resale contract to add to my direct RIV contract. I’m not super picky though, I just want more points so I’d also buy resale at PVB, VGF, or AKV. The thing is, resale prices are so high now that they are close to the same as just buying more RIV direct points. I’ve pretty much decided now to just add on more at RIV without the restrictions rather than pay the high resale prices on points that will be restricted.

The resale prices for VB and HHI are abysmal. It shows that the majority of DVC's audience aren't interested in those locations as their primary destination. Compare the resale prices of these with those of any of the WDW properties. VB and HHI are at, or below, their initial offering prices. Every WDW property of similar age is well above the initial offering price. Then, there is Aulani, which has been on sale for 10 years without selling out, and has similarly low resale prices. DVC won't want to put VB and HHI back into their portfolio to sell a second time.
Agree, they will be gone. Aulani too when it expires. If I'm not mistaken, potential Washington DC and Colorado projects were also nixed at some point. It seems that DVC members like visiting all of these places, but not many want to make them their home resort.

Does anyone know where I can find a chart with the historic prices of the RIV direct price with incentives?

RIV sold 66K pts last month and 60K in May. At its current average sold rate per month (79,090 pts), Riviera will sellout in Spring of 2026 (approx 4 years 9 months). Of course, COVID/2020 is weighing that average down, so one would expect sales to improve as the economy continues to recover.

https://www.dvcnews.com/dvc-program/financial/news-34867/5071-direct-sales-report-for-june-2021
What should be a major concern for DVC management is the percent of direct points at RIV compared to total sold. For May it was 44% and for June 48%, so customers are preferring the shorter terms of existing resorts to RIV. Listen, RIV looks beautiful, has the Skyliner to 2 parks and should be selling at 100,000 points per month, but is not. So, the resale restrictions are playing a roll. My feeling is DVC has become stubborn and does not want to admit they made a mistake. What will really be interesting is when GFV2 goes on sale, only offering studios, if it will outsell RIV. Now that will be a real eyeopener.

Aulani does not have “similarly low resale prices.” The resale price has skyrocketed in the last several months and is now up over 30%. Of course it’s an easy target because it hasn’t sold out, but the property itself and the location are spectacular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter