Two cast members told me no sharing allowed on TS

Yeah, that's one thing I hadn't thought of. If I was to share, then I would definitely leave a separate tip to cover the other person.

I am a conservative person but when we have shared a meal on our past trips I always left a bigger tip because they were always so nice about it and brought half (plus extra fries or whatever) of each meal on a seperate plate. I figure the waitress has to refill TWO beverages instead of two and deliver and pick up Two of everything so it is only fair.

My favorite shared meal was at B&C where we shared a double cheeseburger, with onion rings and a liquid sunshine. It was just enough food. :thumbsup2

Slightly Goofy

wdwobsessed said:
What I should have said in my previous post is why would WDW care if you ordered 2TS all at once or at 1TS at two seperate meals?

In reading wazzo's qoute on me it maybe didn't make sense. My point that is.

WDWO

Sorry wdwobsessed! I was just emphasizing my favourite part!

I agree that tipping extra is a great idea when sharing! Especially when the DDP is FREEEEEEE!!

wdwobsessed said:
In light of recent postings by the OP I have a theory but will keep it to myself.

Anyway ....

Truly if they were to try to enforce the "no sharing" rule than a revolt would break out. Maybe they will enforce a split plate charge but no sharing?? Come on!!

If they do make this rule it better be for everyone and not just DDP guests. Can you see how that would go over? Come on people!!!!

1TS credit is based on 1 app - 1 entree - 1drink - 1 dessert. Why would WDW care if you ordered it all at once or at two seperate meals?

I can see not sharing the refillable drink and having to buy an extra. That makes sense. But if I order a 14oz steak and want to share ... why do they care?

WDWO

By OP, do you mean original poster, which is me? Does your theory refer to me and what is it?

I agree it doesn't make sense not to be able to share. I got the idea that it was okay to share from these boards, and I thought great, I can stretch my ADRs to include other restaurants I want to try. Prior to that, I was only considering out of pocket for extra ADRs. But as I called Disney about other stuff, I brought up the question about sharing just to be sure, and they said you can't do it. I was wondering it may be that since they man the phones and don't work at the restaurants, they don't have all the information right. After all, it is a big company. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Edited to add: Maybe I'm sensitive, but it sounded like you had a bad theory about me. Please correct me if I'm wrong... I hope I'm wrong. :)

At WDW TS places that weren't buffets- specifically Nine Dragon's, B&C, and RFC- we have shared. DH and I have shared, or DD and I, with no eye rolling or additional charge. This has been both OOP and in the days of the meal vouchers. DD3, DH, and I will be doing all family style and buffets with the free DDP in Sept, with the exception of two dinners- Teppanyaki and CR. I think it would be a waste to order even a kid's meal for DD3. There are times she'll eat a decent amount, but most of the time she just likes to drink and graze. The buffets/family style are great for her, because she can nosh/drink as we are waiting for the characters. For this reason, I asked the phone CM if sharing was allowed at TS restaraunts on the DP. She said the official policy is that sharing is not allowed, but the TS servers are allowed to use their discretion, and can allow or deny the privelage of sharing a meal. This sounds like it is correct, as many of you are getting different answers from the CMs and waitstaff. Waitstaff who don't fully understand the rules, are nitpicky, or feel that they won't receive their full DDP tip on a shared meal might say no sharing. If we encounter one of those waiters on either of the two meals we were hoping to share, we'll probably just order DD3 something that can travel well and wrap it to go. We did schedule one TS breakfast above our free DDP allowance. If we partially pay with her leftover credits (even if we can just apply the credits to pay for her meal), that's great. Otherwise, we'll just pay OOP and use our DDE. No worries.

Anneofgreengables ....

I was out of line with that comment so I removed it. There have been posters in the past who come on here to stir up speculation and drama over the DDP. They will post things titled along the lines of what you posted.

I jumped to conclusions and I apologize.

It sounds like you are just getting some bad information.

WDWO

wdwobsessed said:
Anneofgreengables ....

I was out of line with that comment so I removed it. There have been posters in the past who come on here to stir up speculation and drama over the DDP. They will post things titled along the lines of what you posted.

I jumped to conclusions and I apologize.

It sounds like you are just getting some bad information.

WDWO

wdwobsessed, apology accepted. This is the first time I've used this board to plan a trip, so I'm not familiar with whatever happened in the past here. I ask a lot of questions about the dining plan because I am an obsessive vacation planner. But I think many here are, too, and can relate. :thumbsup2 No hard feelings. I still think the people on this board are helpful, nice and encouraging. Great resource for planning a WDW trip!

Back to the topic, I booked one ADR over my alloted TS credits, so I am hoping we can share...

I can see not sharing the refillable drink and having to buy an extra. That makes sense. But if I order a 14oz steak and want to share ... why do they care?

For example, if you have a family that has 2 adults on the reservation and you share this steak with your wife and by doing so you save a TS credit. If later in the week prior to check out you use that saved TS to feed you or your wife, then I agree no reason they should care. You simply delayed eating the other TS credit.

However if your saved that other TS credit and plan to use it to feed someone that is not on your plan, say a friend. Then they do care.

Think of the plan as a prepaid all inclusive meal plan similar to what Sandals resorts has. If you and your wife share a steak at dinner and both don't order at that meal. You can't then invite someone over from the Marriot resort to have a meal from your plan later.

I think that is what concerns them with the sharing. And while many might not like it, the plan is subject to their rules and guidelines. Certainly I would think they would need to let the guest know prior to purchasing the plan whether sharing is allowed and then the guest would have to decide whether or not to purchase it.

I am afraid due to the creative use of the plan by some, many of us will be inconvienced by the changes.

I look at the information provided to the OP a different way.
I think the CMs the OP asked are reading straight from Disney policy they were provided.
How each individual restaurant/managers handles sharing -- that's probably where the difference will come into play.
I will not be surprised if we start reading posts from returned guests stating how different restaurants handled sharing meals different ways. (If this is going to be an issue at all.)

Just to be on the safe side when we go in December, I have an extra meal planned at lecellier for myself and dh, to be sure we use ddp for it, i plan to pay oop for our meal at ohana's which is 18.99 pp as opposed to a dinner at lecellier. With all the changes I don't want to plan to be able to share meals, but then again I think my real reason is if me, DH DD and DS each order something different, I get to try 4 new meals!! I just love the food there!!!

......I am wondering if some of these "changes" that are popping up about meal sharing and how credits are pooled and used isn't in part to the demand being put upon the TS Restaurants and trying to get as many guests as possible into each restaurant on any given day. :confused3 What I mean is, if even 50% of the guests are sharing meals that means they would need double the space for all of the credits to be used up thus making it more difficult for someone who doesn't plan obsessively (as we all do here :lmao: ) to have opportunity to get their mileage out of the plan. This would mean, to Disney, the possibilty of loosing a repeat customer to the dining plan in general, a repeat customer to the park, or the possibility of having a lot of complaints having to give out refunds, etc. In all of my time reading this board, as well as other boards and WDW sites in general, I have never seen so many people talking about sharing and trying to get the most bang out of thier buck as I have with the DDP. I also have never seen, or heard of a sign like this one being reported/shown on this weeks park update on Mouseplanet.

I have seen similar signs at Mk and Epcot when what I assume table bookings are very high.
I recall seeing something like this at MK this weekend. But was not interested in dining there, so really did not pay attention to what it read. I do remember it was listing places that either were or were not available for seating.

frannn said:
For this reason, I asked the phone CM if sharing was allowed at TS restaraunts on the DP. She said the official policy is that sharing is not allowed, but the TS servers are allowed to use their discretion, and can allow or deny the privelage of sharing a meal. This sounds like it is correct, as many of you are getting different answers from the CMs and waitstaff.

Sounds like the response you got from the phone CM was similar, but that CM explained it better, referring to servers' discretion.

I think sharing is a red herring. Perhaps restricting sharing is they only way they can think of to get people to use their own credits, which sounds like a more appropriate restriction. I think a lot of people read the bit in the brochure which was indicating that you didn't have to use the credits for the same meals every day and thought it meant than you didn't have to use the credits for what they were intended. That's the mess that it sounds like they're trying to clean up. :confused3

I can't see a problem with sharing. With the amount of food you get, it can be too much for smaller appetites. DS and I shared some counter service meals last year. DH doesn't believe in sharing his food with anyone so it won't be an issue for him. He told me it is "against his religion" when I suggested it. :confused3

bicker said:
I think sharing is a red herring. Perhaps restricting sharing is they only way they can think of to get people to use their own credits, which sounds like a more appropriate restriction. I think a lot of people read the bit in the brochure which was indicating that you didn't have to use the credits for the same meals every day and thought it meant than you didn't have to use the credits for what they were intended. That's the mess that it sounds like they're trying to clean up. :confused3
I'm sure that's part of it, but I also think the sharing, in and of itself, can cost the restaurants - and the servers!! - money. WDW restaurants aren't like "normal" restaurants where if the "sharing" party wasn't there, the table would go empty. They're generally full all the time, with frustrated people still trying for ADRs (particularly during busy season).

Don't get me wrong - I fully understand why people share, and I know that it's often just as much (or more) about portion control as about money. But from the provider side, it comes down to total $$$ over the course of the day.

I think it would take skipping the CS lunch and the snack to have even a chance at eatting an appet, entree and dessert at one sitting (except maybe at fancier restaurants where portions are smaller). I plan on trying it anyway at LeCellier but will likely be miserably full. At WGP for lunch, I definately want to split a TS credit. I can see them taking away the option to divide the meals into two for you but they shouldn't be able to make you order something if you don't want and if you eat off of DH's plate, that shouldn't be a big deal. The no-sharing thing just doesn't sound disney family friendly; sounds like something snooty restaurants do. I don't see the tip issue since it still adds up to quite a bit for a base tip with 3 out of 4 eating and including soda where we would normally get water. (A soda, appet and dessert equals the cost of an entree we might get.)

I guess if we got to a restaurant that MADE you use TS credits all around so the waiter said you might as well each order your appet, entree, dessert.... I'd opt OOP for everyone. I KNOW they can't make cash customers order more food than they want. You don't suppose they could make you use the DDP, could they? Can you imagine the CM, "No, we know you are on the plan now, your cash is no good here unless you want to order alcohol, the 4 TS credits have already been deducted....."

If we are told we can't share, guess OOP is my back up plan. Two kids meals for the kids and we'll split an appet while we wait for them to eat and grab CS later. Try the next TS meal the next day to see how that goes. The tip will be 20% of a much lower number if they choose to enforce a new no sharing policy.

I agree with ReallyFunMom. I simply cannot imagine being hungry enough to eat all the food a non-buffet TS credit provides on the DDP. Nor would I want to, nor would I want my DH or DD to. Sharing figures prominently in my thoughts of purchasing the plan.

My thought is for some meals, DD and I will share my TS, DH eats the other. (That still will be way too much food for the three of us, but some restaurants DD prefers the adult menu fare.) Other meals, DD will order from the kids menu and DH and I will share a TS credit. Of course we would tip extra, but this amount of food would probably be closest to what could/should/would normally eat. I will follow this topic closely because if sharing is to become problematic, we will almost certainly forego the DDP and stick with OOP with the DDE card.

I know for WDW this is about economics, but aren't there enough seriously overweight people in this world without making people feel they have to eat a large appetizer, entree and dessert in one sitting every day? I know, no one says you have to eat it, but that's hard. People eat what is put in front of them.

If WDW is going to go to a requirement that everyone at the table use thier TS credits then they need to dramatically overhaul the wording of the brochure and the way it's set up in the system. This would be more like the old "Gold Key" plan my family got back in 1987 (or a variation of it) where everyone had B L D each day and you couldn't save them or bank them or whatever so there was no point in sharing. It was very expensive.

Left up to the servers discretion? I don't think so ... that is absurd if it is true. How could you ever plan accordingly???

IMHO once that food is on the plate it is mine & if I want to eat it all, share it, throw it away or do something else with it ... that is my business.

I think a lot of this is just speculation right now. Until I start getting significant accounts of no sharing reports I'm going to try not to worry about it too much.

I don't see how they can insist everyone order and use the TS at any one meal ... what if everyone is not at a particular meal? Do you have to use their meal without them present?

What if you are not dining with someone on the DDP? Does that mean THEY can't order anything because they don't have TS credits??

I am not actually asking these questions ... just pointing out the issues that could arise by these types of "rules".

It all just seems too jumbled for me to try to make those particular restrictions with the way it's set up now.

WDWO

IF this is an issue, I can see it being at the manager's descretion. Not the server's. The same goes for separate checks on the DDE. Yes, it can be done. But manager's don't allow it. :confused3
I suppose the same goes for sharing food.
I agree, I can easily see why anyone on the DDP would share food. That is a heck of a lot of food. But, if some restaurants decide not to allow it, they probably can. Not to say they even care. We don't know for certain any WDW restaurant does care if food is shared or not. I am sure food sharing is quite common.
I just don't see it being an issue unless people really start abusing it badly.

I had a SIL who once made a fuss in a restaurant because she was sharing with her DH and their portion was not larger due to them sharing. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter