TSA Pre-check?

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking my husband and I will apply for TSA pre-check before our January trip. We've never used it before as we don't fly often and when we do...we flight out of Omaha (rarely bad lines) and fly into Santa Ana (again, short lines.) But we've been told it would be good for trips in and out of MCO, especially since our son is autistic and struggles with long lines.

My questions...

How far in advance of our trip should we apply? Do we need to do it ASAP or should we wait until a month or two before? I'm not exactly sure how long the whole process will take.

I'm correct in assuming we don't apply/pay for our 10 year old son and he can just go through the line with us, right?

I know it varies by day/time but how long is the TSA pre-check line at MCO when flying out?

I’d apply now. It’s hard to predict how long it will take, and it won’t expire before your trip, so go for it!

At MCO, we’ve most recently usually needed 10-15 minutes in the Pre-Check line, although one Sunday around 7 AM it was more like 30. That might have been during Covid, though, so not the norm.

And yes, as long as your son’s plane ticket is on the same reservation as yours, he will go through with you.

I would apply as soon as possible, just because there's no telling how long you might have to wait for an appointment and how long the approval process might take. The whole thing could take 2 or 3 days or it could take weeks,

Your 10-year-old does not need Precheck. The TSA website states that any child under 12 years old can go through Precheck with their parents.

Precheck at MCO is well worth it. The regular TSA line can be incredibly long and the TSA Pre line is a breeze. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes at TSA Pre at MCO, at either terminal.

One thing to note: After you get your Precheck approved and get your Known Traveler Number (KTN), make sure to enter it when you purchase your plane tickets. Even then, sometimes one's boarding pass won't have TSA Pre noted on it. Have your KTN handy. I had this happen to me a few trips ago out of MCO and I didn't have my KTN readily available, but the JetBlue agent at the baggage area was nice enough to find it for me and print me a new boarding pass. Now I always have the number with me, just in case.

I went to OfficeMax and got my KTN within a week. But, I wouldn’t wait too long, you never know what might hold them up. And for the 10 year old, he won’t need to enroll yet. From the TSA website, “Children 12 and under may accompany an enrolled parent or guardian in the TSA PreCheck lanes without restriction. Children 13-17 may join enrolled adults when traveling on the same reservation and if the TSA PreCheck indicator appears on the child’s boarding pass.”

Looks like @Miffy and I posted at the same time! And I agree 100%!

I just recently got Pre check for my youngest (last year) and at the time they had said it could take up to 60 days. It ended up taking 2-3 days. Once approved you can log in and get the number, you don't need to wait for the letter. Her letter didn't arrive for several weeks after we had already gotten her KTN.

BTW if you’ve already booked your airline tickets, be sure to go to your profile on the airline website and add your KTN as soon as you get it. You might have to add it to this trip specifically as well as to your profile.

Thanks everyone! Looks like we'll try to get this taken care of soon then!

And yeah, we already booked our tickets on Southwest Airlines so I'll make sure to add the number when we get it.

First you need to figure out where you can go for the in-person part of the sign-up procedure.

For me, the closest place was 90 minutes away.

I ended up making an appointment to do the in-person part when I would be visiting a location which had an office that was easier to get to.

You might also be interested in this program at MCO.

The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme® acts as discreet identification that the wearer, or their companion, has a hidden disability and might require additional assistance.

Hidden Disabilities Sunflower LanyardWearing a sunflower lanyard enables passengers to self-identify to staff that they have a hidden disability. It is a voluntary program in which passengers are not required to participate. Passengers may choose, but are not required, to disclose their disability on the card attached to the lanyard. They may also provide a contact name and phone number on the card, which is helpful if they become lost or separated from their party. Airport staff are trained to recognize the lanyards and to be understanding if additional help is needed. Lanyards are available at the Information Booths, located throughout the Terminals. A valid flight itinerary or boarding pass is required.

Wearing a lanyard DOES NOT guarantee fast tracking through security or any preferential treatment. Passengers may also arrange special assistance with their airline and TSA Cares.

I got TSA precheck this summer for flights. Like your son, I'm autistic - it made a HUGE difference flying. I hadn't realized how much anxiety the security lines and process had been causing until after seeing the difference with precheck. I can't speak to OMA/MCO, but I flew from Kansas City, San Francisco, Oakland, Vegas, and Los Angeles. Longest wait was LA just under 5 minutes, all others were barely a minute. Even bigger help than the reduced wait times was the ability to leave everything in bags. Not having to take everything out then repack, not having to take off jackets/shoes, etc. was a godsend. You literally walk through the metal detector, pick up your bag, and then you're off.

For how far out to get it - I would suggest asap due to appointment availability, although if you are flexible with the city you go to you could luck out to get processed quickly. When I got mine I had been planning to drive to Kansas City for the appointment, but all places there were booked out for over a month! Checked Lincoln, Nebraska instead, and was able to get one for the next Monday. Lincoln processed it extremely fast and I had my number within a day or two and was able to use it flying that weekend. Since you mentioned you would be flying from OMA, if Omaha appointment places are booked out consider Lincoln - the ease and quickness of it is definitely worth the c. 45 min to get there.

One other random thing to throw out there - if you think you might be traveling internationally anytime in the next 5 years, consider Global Entry instead. The cost isn't that much more, includes TSA Precheck and gives you the same benefit when going through customs US side. I hadn't known this existed until after I'd gotten precheck or I'd have gone this route instead.

Re Global Entry: the wait time for an appointment is much longer than precheck, so if you're going to do that, jump on it quickly.

I'm sorry I didn't do it initially because now, since we moved, it's much harder for me to get to a location where it's offered.

Other benefits of Pre-Check are that you don’t remove your shoes or separate electronics from your carryon. I do recommend separating items that might get a secondary screening. For instance, my wife has her insulin in a thermos that contains an ice pack. They always check it to make sure the ice pack is frozen. At the end of the trip, the ice pack goes back in our checked luggage.

Thanks everyone! Looks like we'll try to get this taken care of soon then!

And yeah, we already booked our tickets on Southwest Airlines so I'll make sure to add the number when we get it.
For SW specifically, since you've already purchased the tickets you will have to add the numbers to the individual travel record or PNR and not just to your SW profile. Saving the KTN to your profile will populate any new reservations with the number but will not change already booked travel.
One other random thing to throw out there - if you think you might be traveling internationally anytime in the next 5 years, consider Global Entry instead. The cost isn't that much more, includes TSA Precheck and gives you the same benefit when going through customs US side. I hadn't known this existed until after I'd gotten precheck or I'd have gone this route instead.
The randomness of getting conditional approval for GE and the current difficulty in getting an appointment means I would not go for it over Pre unless you knew you were going to be travelling internationally multiple times in the next couple years. I'm currently on 5 months waiting to get a review and the only appointment I've been able to find when I looked was a 5 hour drive and three months out.

Other benefits of Pre-Check are that you don’t remove your shoes or separate electronics from your carryon. I do recommend separating items that might get a secondary screening. For instance, my wife has her insulin in a thermos that contains an ice pack. They always check it to make sure the ice pack is frozen. At the end of the trip, the ice pack goes back in our checked luggage.
She doesn't have any insulin when she comes home? I wouldn't travel without a few extra days worth. I use a Frio to keep an extra pen cool while travelling. Never had it questioned at security.

TSA preCheck is a godsend and we wish we had enrolled earlier when our kids were younger. We have had it for 5 years now and just renewed. My DD22 has ASD and ID and it was a struggle when she was younger getting her shoes off, removing electronics from her bags, etc. Oh how I wish we had enrolled in precheck for all those trips years ago as it would have been less stressful for us and less hectic for all the passengers behind our family in line!

Definitely apply asap as it will be busier with others also applying before the holiday traveling season of Thanksgiving - New Year's.

Have a great trip next year!!

PRe Check is great. We just renewed since our 5 years were up. It helps us get through security so much more quickly. I think the longest I have waited has been about 10 minutes. I got the pre check initially after a really bad experience at MCO where I waited close to an hour and they opened another line but would not let us change the one we were in, so the people behind us in line were through the line long before us. It was really bad and barely made the flight.

I fly once a year (if that) and pretty much only to MCO and it's the only reason I purchased TSA-Precheck. I bought it for my daughters when they were 15 and 13 and they are now 20 and 18 and just renewed it...and we still only use it specifically for those once-a-year flights to MCO. I don't think I have ever security line at MCO that made me think, "eh, that's not too bad"...it's always been "holy crap, I'm so glad we have TSA-precheck!"

TSA pre-check is great to have and speeds up going through security. My experience has also been that people in the pre-check line tend to be more frequent travelers so they already know what to do and it helps move things along. Far too many people in the regular security lines act like this is the first time they have ever been at an airport, don't listen to the security announcements and/or think security rules apply to others but not them. This tends to greatly slow down the security screening process. Certain credit cards will also reimburse your cost for pre-check so something to look into. I agree with others that you have no idea how long it might take to be issued your number, so sooner then later is a better way to do this.

Check the TSA website to find nearby locations where you can go for the security screening. Some may be at a local airport which may/may not be convenient depending on where you live. As I recall, if you are late for your appointment, you end up waiting in line with everyone else who didn't have an appointment, so make sure to review the information on the website prior to going and take the requested ID documents with you.

Once you get your KTN #, enter it on your online profile for every airline you typically use.

TSA preCheck is a godsend and we wish we had enrolled earlier when our kids were younger. We have had it for 5 years now and just renewed. My DD22 has ASD and ID and it was a struggle when she was younger getting her shoes off, removing electronics from her bags, etc. Oh how I wish we had enrolled in precheck for all those trips years ago as it would have been less stressful for us and less hectic for all the passengers behind our family in line!

Definitely apply asap as it will be busier with others also applying before the holiday traveling season of Thanksgiving - New Year's.

Have a great trip next year!!

Yeah, it's a huge pain with our son too and the shoes and electronics. Then getting everything back in/on while trying not to be in anyone's way. Very stressful!

I fly once a year (if that) and pretty much only to MCO and it's the only reason I purchased TSA-Precheck. I bought it for my daughters when they were 15 and 13 and they are now 20 and 18 and just renewed it...and we still only use it specifically for those once-a-year flights to MCO. I don't think I have ever security line at MCO that made me think, "eh, that's not too bad"...it's always been "holy crap, I'm so glad we have TSA-precheck!"

I remember our flight home from MCO back in 2012 and the lines were crazy! Not at all what we were used to with our more frequent trips to OMA/SNA. Seriously like night and day. The idea of getting into those lines with my son sounds like a nightmare.

No international travel planned so don't need Global entry. And thank goodness. I was just on the site and it said the wait time for processing was -
  • Global Entry: 4-6 months

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter