TSA Pre-check?

TSA pre-check was a lifesaver this past trip as LAX had INSANE traffic to get into the airport. I was taking a red-eye and had never seen it that crazy before. I was really stressing but I went through pre-check so quickly that I made it to my gate just before they started boarding.

Also on my return flight MCO was packed as usual and my TSA line was empty.

Regular line at MCO
1693941289227.png

TSA pre-check line
1693941331109.png

TSA pre-check was a lifesaver this past trip as LAX had INSANE traffic to get into the airport. I was taking a red-eye and had never seen it that crazy before. I was really stressing but I went through pre-check so quickly that I made it to my gate just before they started boarding.

Also on my return flight MCO was packed as usual and my TSA line was empty.

Regular line at MCO
View attachment 791434

TSA pre-check line
View attachment 791435
One thing I noticed about our new airport here in KC is people are having issues going to the right line. The signs indicate TSA pre-check but people without it still get in that line. Sunday morning the pre-check line was longer than regular but 7 people were in the wrong line and had to be directed to the regular. Not an issue I'm sure at many airports but just thought I'd mention it. Old KCI for a long time pre-check was in an opposite direction with huge signs and I'm sure that cut down on issues. I think they need signs at KCI that actually say unless you have pre-check on your boarding pass so not enter as opposed to just the banner flag style pre-check sign. But the new airport has only been open since March so I guess learning curve still.

It's worth the cost when flying out of MCO. It's just $17/yr when you break it down.
We bought even though we may end up only using it once. For years, we thought, not that big of a deal. But this last year, I told DH as he is pushed through the airport and is old enough to not take off shoes.......I'm the one with the shoes and liquids and electronics. So we bought it mostly for my sake only.

Well worth it even using it once. Lines getting longer and longer. TSA was a short short wait even at MCO.

For renewals you are eligible for zoom style interviews but not for first time applicants. I hope they still do the remote interviews when it's time for me to renew, I agree it should make a big difference in the ease of the program.
Just another data point but I renewed my global entry last year and I did not need another interview. I just paid the fee and they renewed me and my sister. So once you have it you may not need another interview.

One thing I noticed about our new airport here in KC is people are having issues going to the right line. The signs indicate TSA pre-check but people without it still get in that line. Sunday morning the pre-check line was longer than regular but 7 people were in the wrong line and had to be directed to the regular. Not an issue I'm sure at many airports but just thought I'd mention it. Old KCI for a long time pre-check was in an opposite direction with huge signs and I'm sure that cut down on issues. I think they need signs at KCI that actually say unless you have pre-check on your boarding pass so not enter as opposed to just the banner flag style pre-check sign. But the new airport has only been open since March so I guess learning curve still.
At Houston IAH they have staff at the entrance to the pre-check line looking at boarding passes. If they don’t see the big green check, you don’t get in that line.

At Houston IAH they have staff at the entrance to the pre-check line looking at boarding passes. If they don’t see the big green check, you don’t get in that line.
I've seen that too at other airports. They are too nice at KCI lol, they had to really enforce parking at the curb but didn't want to because they didn’t want to be too mean. They don't check boarding passes either at KCI you just need your ID (though they used to check both). Presumably the system populates on their screen if that particular flight and person had pre-check. IDK if they want the staffing to do a checker before you enter the line but they could eventually do that if it becomes too big of an issue.

I've seen that too at other airports. They are too nice at KCI lol, they had to really enforce parking at the curb but didn't want to because they didn’t want to be too mean. They don't check boarding passes either at KCI you just need your ID (though they used to check both). Presumably the system populates on their screen if that particular flight and person had pre-check. IDK if they want the staffing to do a checker before you enter the line but they could eventually do that if it becomes too big of an issue.
Security at MCI is also not TSA, it is a private contractor. That may be a part of the difference as well. Sometimes the private contractors make up their own rules. There have been reports all summer that some of the private contractors at SFO are not accepting home printed BPs.

Security at MCI is also not TSA, it is a private contractor. That may be a part of the difference as well. Sometimes the private contractors make up their own rules. There have been reports all summer that some of the private contractors at SFO are not accepting home printed BPs.
That's not at all unique to KCI (private contractors). Honestly don't think it has anything to do with it. Multiple airports we've been to don't check both boarding passes and IDs. In fact that seems to be rarer and rarer to do that, perhaps because REAL ID is becoming more common who knows. An article from last December says over 100 airports in the U.S. no longer require to show both.

That's not at all unique to KCI (private contractors). Honestly don't think it has anything to do with it. Multiple airports we've been to don't check both boarding passes and IDs. In fact that seems to be rarer and rarer to do that, perhaps because REAL ID is becoming more common who knows. An article from last December says over 100 airports in the U.S. no longer require to show both.
You're right, it's not tied to whether it's independent contractors. It has to do with whether the airport has the new scanners or not. It's becoming rarer and rarer to have to show boarding pass as more airports get the new scanners that only need ID. But there are still some out there!

You're right, it's not tied to whether it's independent contractors. It has to do with whether the airport has the new scanners or not. It's becoming rarer and rarer to have to show boarding pass as more airports get the new scanners that only need ID. But there are still some out there!
I'm happy to not have to when I can, I generally have my boarding pass on my phone and it's one of those times you look like the fumbling person trying to hold that, your ID, roll your luggage, etc :laughing:

Oh man. So I flew through KCI in 2019. It was the hands down the worst TSA/Airport experience I've ever had and I've been to 5 countries and 27 different states.

They required you hold out your (paper) boarding pass as you walked through the scanner and would get confused if you had the pass on your phone. TSA PreCheck wasn't really even a thing, everyone went into the same line and got differing instructions, which is probably why people are confused now.

I avoided visiting Kansas again for a long time since the old airport was so awful, but needed to be there for a conference this year. I didn't realize the airport was new so I printed out my pass just in case (expecting another hellish experience), but the new airport is lovely and normal, just like any other airport.

It made me 100 times more likely to come back.

I was referring to not having someone out there checking the BP before allowing people into the Pre line. Not only scanning the ID. Every airport I've been through this year with TSA, they have someone there verifying. I haven't had my BP scanned at all this year, it's all been ID scan only or CLEAR.

Oh man. So I flew through KCI in 2019. It was the hands down the worst TSA/Airport experience I've ever had and I've been to 5 countries and 27 different states.

They required you hold out your (paper) boarding pass as you walked through the scanner and would get confused if you had the pass on your phone. TSA PreCheck wasn't really even a thing, everyone went into the same line and got differing instructions, which is probably why people are confused now.

I avoided visiting Kansas again for a long time since the old airport was so awful, but needed to be there for a conference this year. I didn't realize the airport was new so I printed out my pass just in case (expecting another hellish experience), but the new airport is lovely and normal, just like any other airport.

It made me 100 times more likely to come back.
Us locals for the most part don't like it by that I mean no airport ever made it so easy to be dropped off and to your gate. I never had any bad TSA times there. Don't recall there ever being an issue with phone boarding passes there and I've been using that for years. I have had way worse experiences elsewhere, rude barking at you, confusing directions being told all sorts of things but never at KCI over the years. My husband was flying without precheck in 2019 back and forth for 9 months every 2 weeks between LA and KC never had an issue. So I'm guessing you had a bad luck type thing. There has been a separate line for precheck for years at least in terminal B. You couldn't miss it giant signs and arrows. It's just that they were completely separate from the regular as in opposite directions. As they were getting ready for the new terminal when we flew in January they had closed down the other side and moved TSA precheck to right next to the regular. You sure you have the right airport because in 2019 it was definitely there. KCI hasn't been a podunk airport like you're describing lol. People aren't confused now for that reason because separate precheck has exited for years now there.

I was referring to not having someone out there checking the BP before allowing people into the Pre line. Not only scanning the ID. Every airport I've been through this year with TSA, they have someone there verifying. I haven't had my BP scanned at all this year, it's all been ID scan only or CLEAR.
Like all TSA are independent contractors so it's not related to KCI is what I was getting at. Husband has flown quite a lot with his precheck (he got it spring last year with Global Entry and I've had it since fall last year) and he can't say it's common for someone to be checking before entering. No one checked MCO when we flew through in January (made an overnight stop). In Chicago in July they didn't have someone there either checking for it. We just went through Vegas pre-check a minute ago no one checking. I do see it as an "as needed" basis thing for sure.

Us locals for the most part don't like it by that I mean no airport ever made it so easy to be dropped off and to your gate. I never had any bad TSA times there. Don't recall there ever being an issue with phone boarding passes there and I've been using that for years. I have had way worse experiences elsewhere, rude barking at you, confusing directions being told all sorts of things but never at KCI over the years. My husband was flying without precheck in 2019 back and forth for 9 months every 2 weeks between LA and KC never had an issue. So I'm guessing you had a bad luck type thing. There has been a separate line for precheck for years at least in terminal B. You couldn't miss it giant signs and arrows. It's just that they were completely separate from the regular as in opposite directions. As they were getting ready for the new terminal when we flew in January they had closed down the other side and moved TSA precheck to right next to the regular. You sure you have the right airport because in 2019 it was definitely there. KCI hasn't been a podunk airport like you're describing lol. People aren't confused now for that reason because separate precheck has exited for years now there.

Nope, definitely MCI (now known as KCI) for Alaska Airlines.

In 2019 they called it 'partial' tsa-pre and everyone went in the same line. They asked people who had a boarding pass on their phones to put their phones through the scanner, which would cause issues because they then wouldn't view them as tsa-pre. I was so thankful I'd sprung for first class because after being assaulted by the tsa agent I was in tears and shaking.

On Yelp 75% of 1400 people rated MCI 3 stars or lower. It had a final rating of 2.4 stars which is insanely low. They created a Yelp page for the new airport that's doing much better, but I'd hazard a guess that locals only liked the old airport because they didn't have to walk as far.

Nope, definitely MCI (now known as KCI) for Alaska Airlines.

In 2019 they called it 'partial' tsa-pre and everyone went in the same line. They asked people who had a boarding pass on their phones to put their phones through the scanner, which would cause issues because they then wouldn't view them as tsa-pre. I was so thankful I'd sprung for first class because after being assaulted by the tsa agent I was in tears and shaking.

On Yelp 75% of 1400 people rated MCI 3 stars or lower. It had a final rating of 2.4 stars which is insanely low. They created a Yelp page for the new airport that's doing much better, but I'd hazard a guess that locals only liked the old airport because they didn't have to walk as far.
MCI is the designated name locals call it KCI (the website is that as well) KCI was already taken by another airport decades ago when they wanted KCI to be the name. It's not now known as KCI it’s been known as that.

Dude you don't need to trash talk KCI I don't really care, I'm just saying you were incorrect that precheck didn't really exist for the airport. As I said definitely for Terminal B and for years. A closed precheck side did happen from time to time.

This is from 2018
20230906_183356.jpg

Locals all know it sucked as a connecting airport but ask locals of any airport if they care about the experience of those connecting through.

Anyways I'm about to take off on my flight.

On Sept. 3, I signed up for TSA PreCheck and scheduled an interview for Sept. 4 at a local OfficeDepot and was approved and had my Known Traveler Number on Sept. 5. Perhaps I was just lucky, but it was an immensely easy and quick process.

We recently (8/31) flew out of MCO on an early (7:00 a.m.) American flight. The regular security line was an easy 30-45 minute wait (this was at 4:45 a.m.). The electronic board above it read an 18-20 minute wait, but the line didn’t appear to be moving nearly that quickly. This may have been an outlier or staff shortages or even just luck of the draw. This was also a day or so after Hurricane Idalia, so the recent closure of the Tampa airport may have had some impact (although it had subsequently reopened). The TSA line was at worst a 10-minute wait.

UPDATE - So I went to my appointment for TSA Pre-check today. They made copies of my documents and took my pic. But when she did my fingerprints...they wouldn't show up. She tried several times but no luck. So she put in that she tried 3 times and that I have hyperhydrosis but might be the issue.

I really hope this doesn't mean I'm denied! Especially since I already had to pay.

I'm thinking my husband and I will apply for TSA pre-check before our January trip. We've never used it before as we don't fly often and when we do...we flight out of Omaha (rarely bad lines) and fly into Santa Ana (again, short lines.) But we've been told it would be good for trips in and out of MCO, especially since our son is autistic and struggles with long lines.

My questions...

How far in advance of our trip should we apply? Do we need to do it ASAP or should we wait until a month or two before? I'm not exactly sure how long the whole process will take.

I'm correct in assuming we don't apply/pay for our 10 year old son and he can just go through the line with us, right?

I know it varies by day/time but how long is the TSA pre-check line at MCO when flying out?
I applied Wednesday at 1:10pm and received my approval and number at 6pm yesterday via text, so just over 24 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter