Trading Out of DVC Resorts

Jannino

Mouseketeer
From what I've read, not too many people trade out of DVC resorts as it is not cost efficient to do so with the buy in costs and higher maintenence fees. However, for those who have traded out, what kind of trading power did the DVC resorts give you? Where you able to trade to resorts that are harder to trade into, such as Hawaii TS resorts or other high end carribean resorts?

My reason for asking this question is that I am considering purchasing a TS at Marriott's Grande Vista or possibly Marriott's Cypress Harbour as we like to travel to Orlando alot. However, I have read that in general the Orlando TS market is oversaturated and as such, not a good area to utilize for trades to other TS resorts. If that is the case, then for me this brings the DVC resorts into play but only if it increases my trading power outside Orlando. Also, if I do not travel to Orlando every year, the DVC has the flexibility for me to bank my points for another year if I do not receiv ethe trade I want.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Only II knows for certain but to me it appears that DVC has very good but not great trade power. For Marriott, DVC will be even lower due to the internal trading preference that other MVCI members get. It's true the Orlando in general is easy to get and doesn't trade that well. Both of those MVCI properties are very nice but neither are very high up the ladder in trade power with II though they will trade fairly well Marriott to Marriott. Overall it depends on whether you plan to trade frequently enough to make it worth joining II as this is the only way you can trade, even internally. You could likely buy something that will trade better and will get you a bonus week and use that bonus week to trade back into Orlando much of the year. And/or a lockoff that you can get two to three units for the price of one.

One thing to keep in mind - DVC only trades for a subset of II. It isn't like most II timeshares where you can go on II and find whats available.

DVC limits which II timeshares you can trade into - they did this because they don't want folks disappointed so they have only approved the top resorts for trading. Also you have to call DVC and work the trade through them, at this time you can't go out to the II website and find out what you could trade your DVC for.

As such, if you are buying for trading, I would avoid DVC as it is very limited. What you want is a popular spot that isn't overbuilt like Orlando or Vegas and own a unit there and use that for trading.

Rence - Is there a way to find out what resorts DVC can trade to? Are most of the Marriott resorts on that list??

Rence - Is there a way to find out what resorts DVC can trade to? Are most of the Marriott resorts on that list??
There is a list for members to get to through the members website. Think most of the top resorts outside Orlando. Most Marriott's are on the list other than the lower rated or newer ones. DVC tends to not include new resorts in the first couple of years while under construction. For example, HH has 3 of the 7 listed. Those are Grande Ocean, Barony and Harbour Club or at least they were the last time I looked and the site is down right now. Expect Surfwatch to replace Harbour Club soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter