There's a squirrel in my head! My first PTR for WDW and beyond...

Well I'm in for the ride.
Love long holidays as well, although it does get a little tiring at times, nothing that a Nanna nap doesn't fix:thumbsup2
We have had two skiing trips to Canada tacked onto a WDW and DL trip, only way I get my DH to agree to it as well.:cool1:
He thinks skiing is the main reason for the trip, little does he know:rolleyes1

Signing in too-looking forward to how it unfolds. Jealous as DH refuses to go away for longer than 5 weeks (4 really but I usually manage to push it out to 5 til he cottons on when he has to apply for leave). I'll be sitting at the window sipping hot chocolate and watching you do face plants in the snow!!

Aw, shucks. Thanks, I promise I won't disappoint :rotfl2:

Well I'm in for the ride.
Love long holidays as well, although it does get a little tiring at times, nothing that a Nanna nap doesn't fix:thumbsup2
We have had two skiing trips to Canada tacked onto a WDW and DL trip, only way I get my DH to agree to it as well.:cool1:
He thinks skiing is the main reason for the trip, little does he know:rolleyes1

Welcome :thumbsup2

Yeah, the skiing thing doesn't excite me that much, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

On our last trip our only real down time was the 2 1/2 weeks with family in Montana. Otherwise it's on the go all day. We did have a couple of down days a the start of our last trip because the jetlag, combined with very early starts and very late nights at DL took a bit out of us. The kids were really good but when we saw they were getting harder to get going in the morning we had to cut them some slack. They really did well with the long days at Disney so I can't complain. It'll be the same again at WDW and then we all get to rest a bit on the cruise, but knowing the kids and how they were on the last cruise, they'll be the ones coming back to the cabin around midnight!

I had DS mark on the calendar that 14th January was the day to book our Anaheim accomodation, but an overnight stay with him at the hospital meant that we missed that deadline... He's fine now, just suspected appendicitis but with non-specific pain in his tummy in two other places meant they had to do checks for other things. So, we didn't get released until late Monday afternoon and as it was 33 hours since I last woke up all we both wanted to do was go and have a few hours sleep :faint:

BTW, I've now got an overdue DVD from the DVD kiosk booth...:rolleyes2

Anyway, I woke up this morning after having slept the sleep of the sleep deprived, ready to get booking. :drive:

First port of call was to the WorldMark website to book a week at Dolphin's Cove Resort in Anaheim. It's only 10,000 points and is quite reasonable compared to the WorldMark Anaheim. WM Anaheim is newer and wholly WM owned and managed, but we just couldn't justify the extra points required to be a bit closer AND have an in-room washer and dryer for only 3 days at Disneyland and to cool our heels in Anaheim waiting for the SuperCross to start. So, DCR it is. It looks to be similar to Radisson Buena Park where we stayed last time, so that's okay. :thumbsup2

Confirmation of booking printed for DCR, then it was to pop over to RCI's website to try and find accommodation for NYC. I couldn't find what I was wanting to do so I got the shuffle around with operators at the Australian RCI office - all I wanted was a direct US number to call! :furious: They wanted my RCI or WM number, which then wouldn't come up on their system. Again I explain we bought our WM timeshare in America and we have to deal with America and that's why I wanted their direct number (I had written it down before but couldn't find it). In the end I got what I needed and called, only to have the call drop out (luckily after I was pointed in the right direction on the booking page) because the phone line was dropping in and out. :sad: So, I put in the locations I was looking for only to find that the dates went up to November this year. So, another date to add to my calendar... I'm looking for The Manhattan Club, West 57th Street by Hilton Grand Vacations Club or The Hilton Club of New York. They'll be the poshest places we'll be staying at in NY; if we can't book in to them then it'll be back to the cheap places. I'm amazed at how expensive NYC accommodation is, especially if you want to stay central. I think that is where motels in mining towns like Mackay got their price ideas from...

I checked my emails and found my quote from Dreams Unlimited for 3 nights at the Royal Pacific Resort. For the four of us in a Standard Room - 2 Queen, it's $571 including tax. An extra $605 for 2 day park to park passes on top if we want to book those. That's an expensive couple of days there! I didn't want to stay onsite but after reading Alicia's trip report I thought it might be a good idea. DH might be all theme-parked out by then and staying onsite can give me and the kids the chance to ditch him and knock ourselves out :cool1:

So before I book, I'd love to know what others' experiences have been staying onsite at Universal. I'd love to stay onsite at WDW but our budget didn't extend to a whole week. I really want the early admission for WWOHP more than anything :woohoo: Also, if you've booked with DU would you recommend them again or could you have found a better deal?

On Sunday (before the 10pm dash to the hospital - why do children never get sick in the morning when doctor surgeries are open????), I printed out the UnderCover Tourist when-to-visit planner for Dec for the parks. That should give me some idea of which WDW park to visit and when. Sadly, IOA is showing red for the 16th which would be our first full day (after the first night) there and it's amber for the day we check out and green on the morning we check in, but we're planning to be leaving Cape Canaveral that morning. So it looks like we'll take advantage of early admission on the red IOA day for WWOHP and maybe after getting that out of the way make our way over to USF for the rest of the day.

So, that's about as far as I've gotten so far.

I have a million notes made on scraps of paper that I need to compile and type up then print and put in my planning folder. My folder is a 2 ring binder I used at uni, it's got Winnie the Pooh on it. Then I've got folder dividers inside with different categories instead of subjects. I think I'm an eternal student because it seems set out eerily like it was as uni complete with clear sheet protectors and lined folder paper :laughing: I'm such a school nerd :teacher:

I also have a holiday planning checklist that I found on Organised Housewife that I need to print off. Not everything will suit me but I like visual reminders, which is why I love lists and checklists :blush: And her printables are so lovely. :bitelip:

And for me, that's about it for today. I have a little notebook that I write down usernames and passwords in for various websites and things, and I need to cull things and re-do it in a new one. It's a mess and the book is almost full. I hate it when you have to sign up for stupid things like to print off a printable or whatever.

Coffee, drunk, peanut butter toast eaten, holiday planning and research conducted. It's almost 11am and the kids are still in bed asleep and I'm still in my pjs :lmao: Gotta love school holidays!

Sounds like the planning is in full swing.
I can completely relate to the whole on or off site Universal debate. That squirrel in my head went around and around for days on that one, before I finally listened to my gut instead of my head and booked 3 nights onsite. I'm so excited. More excited than I think I would have been had I booked offsite. I saved a bit of money by booking non-hoppers. With just a few days in the park, I came to the decision that I wouldn't need to hop. With express passes, one day at each park should be plenty for my family.

Can't wait to read you and Alicia's TR's on the Western Itinerary. I'll be on the Fantasy Eastern Caribbean so it'll be fun to compare.

Definitely stay onsite at universal.
It was the best thing we ever did:cool1:
I've done both, onsite and offsite
Onsite we stayed at HRH and loved it, the express pass was amazing and worth the extra cost.
In April we did a day trip to Universal from Daytona and I paid for my DD to upgrade to the express pass, I just wished the whole time that we were staying there. I couldn't justify the cost of upgrading mine but boy I wish I did, even thought the lines weren't to bad, in fact in hindsight I should have left everyone and just booked into the hotel.
Do it do it do it:thumbsup2

gogo65 said:
Definitely stay onsite at universal.
It was the best thing we ever did:cool1:
I've done both, onsite and offsite
Onsite we stayed at HRH and loved it, the express pass was amazing and worth the extra cost.
In April we did a day trip to Universal from Daytona and I paid for my DD to upgrade to the express pass, I just wished the whole time that we were staying there. I couldn't justify the cost of upgrading mine but boy I wish I did, even thought the lines weren't to bad, in fact in hindsight I should have left everyone and just booked into the hotel.
Do it do it do it:thumbsup2

Cool, I have HRH booked and now I'm even more excited. Any interesting or useful things to share about the hotel?

Cool, I have HRH booked and now I'm even more excited. Any interesting or useful things to share about the hotel?

To be honest we didn't spend as much time at the hotel as we thought we would! We didn't eat at the hotel at all, but we did check in at 8am after flying from oz, got our room keys and went straight to the park.
I booked directly with universal and got the AAA discount as they honor the nrma card :thumbsup2

Glad to hear DS is ok. Hospital visits are always exhausting for everyone involved.

You're so organised already! I suppose you have to be with timeshare. Sounds like a great plan so far.

I've always debated about whether to onsite at Universal too (when I finally get around to going). I think I would like to, so looking forward to reading all these TRs :thumbsup2

zanzibar138 said:
Glad to hear DS is ok. Hospital visits are always exhausting for everyone involved.

You're so organised already! I suppose you have to be with timeshare. Sounds like a great plan so far.

I've always debated about whether to onsite at Universal too (when I finally get around to going). I think I would like to, so looking forward to reading all these TRs :thumbsup2

Thank you. He had such a big sleep in today and now he's recovered he's back to fighting with his sister :)

I'm excited about staying onsite, it's the only place we will stay onsite so it had better be good! I'd rather be onsite at Disney but we've got such a long trip money is a consideration.

Oh I love this thread already!

Off to check out staying onsite at Universal...............thanks for the tip!!!:thumbsup2

Minnie Sue Oz said:
Oh I love this thread already!

Off to check out staying onsite at Universal...............thanks for the tip!!!:thumbsup2

Try only one night and get the perks of the park for two days :) Read that somewhere on DIS :)

Glad to hear DS is OK-I'd be keeping up that OS insurance for your future trips if the appendix is potentially grumbling a bit! Trip sounds like its coming together great-I hate all the having to keep track of who to call back when threads because of all the delayed booking openings for different things-and I should be used to it being a Project Manager!! Don't know how people just wing it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter