The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booked the Grand Villa for the first weekend in June :thumbsup2
Star Tours and Little Mermaid should be open :wizard:

Oh how fun! They look so awesome. We'd love to stay in one... wanted to for our Christmas visit this year, but the points needed! Whew! :headache: ENJOY IT!!! I'm a bit green...

Forgive me for not reading all 233 pages of this thread, but whatever became of the members-only viewing platform on the roof of VGC? Last I heard, when the show opened it was determined that the platform had a pretty lousy view. Are they still letting people up there? Are they letting non-members staying on points access it?

Thanks!

I was at the VGC last week (room 4502) and from my balcony, saw a few people watching the WoC from the Viewing Platform. Not a lot, but, of course, we were there during the week and not on a weekend. I have never viewed the WoC from there, but I have read that your room key gives you access to it.

BTW, we also were able to see them playing and testing a new segment featuring Tron. We checked in on Tuesday, Oct 26 and checked out the 29th.
They were working this segment every night we were there. It was quite spectacular to watch them play with different effects to see what would work and what can be done with all the elements from the WoC to give the best show for the Tron piece. They were trying to see if they could beam laser lights to hit the very top of Screamin' to give the effect of a short laser line moving smoothly over the tracks. They must have been practicing and playing with it the first night of our stay. My DD(12) woke up at 4am and saw them still playing with the effects. At times there were blue lights streaming into our room, and we knew that wasn't suppose to happen. Finally on the last night night (Thursday), they had the Tron section done, and were practicing on how to seam it into the WoC. They would start with a short piece from the WoC and seam in the Tron section and seam back into WoC. The whole time they played the music and had it piped into the TV. Not that we needed the TV. The music is quite loud and we were able to hear it without a problem. It turned out to be a good piece, even if we could only see it from an angle that faced more of the back side and right of the WoC. I wonder if they have added it onto the WoC or if it was for a special presentation.

The disneyland board is reporting this week that they have added the Tron segment to the end of the show.

When we stayed at the VGC in September, the room key got us onto the balcony. We couldn't see the projections, but the water effects looked nice.

The terrace may be a good place to watch the pixar parade. We watched the parade from our balcony, which was a bit lower than the terrace but close by, and the characters seemed to be waving at us.

The disneyland board is reporting this week that they have added the Tron segment to the end of the show.

Thanks for the information. The night that they were practicing the final segment, we just happen to see the WoC. It looked like they were adding it to the end. It was quite good, especially the laser lights on the tracks. I was happy to see that they were able to use that effect.

Thanks for the replies!

funatdisney - We were staying in the hotel portion of the VGC wing on the 29th but could only hear the WOC testing, not see it. What a great bonus for you!

Forgive me for not reading all 233 pages of this thread, but whatever became of the members-only viewing platform on the roof of VGC? Last I heard, when the show opened it was determined that the platform had a pretty lousy view. Are they still letting people up there? Are they letting non-members staying on points access it?
Thanks!
Hi Lurkyloo!

They are letting people up there, however, I just called, and as long as you are a guest, YOU DO HAVE ACCESS!!! :banana: I just talked to a cast member at the Grand, there are days that guests won't have access, so I would ask the front desk to see if it's not blocked off that day. Good Luck!!!

p.s......I'm saving for my Disney Sea....on my bucket list...:cloud9:

Thanks for the replies!

funatdisney - We were staying in the hotel portion of the VGC wing on the 29th but could only hear the WOC testing, not see it. What a great bonus for you!

It was! It kinda of made up for the construction noise at night and early morning (5am I think is when it starts in the morning) In fact, there was no noise the first night, since they were playing around with the Tron segment.

There were lots of guests out on their balconies watching the Tron testing, too. Lots of folks were clapping and hollering when they finished. It was quite a neat experience.

The music was really loud! My DH told me he could hear it from the hot tub! He came right up when he first heard it. I then realized that it had to be, since when facing the WoC, the music has to compete with the splashing noise the fountains make.

Hi Lurkyloo!

They are letting people up there, however, I just called, and as long as you are a guest, YOU DO HAVE ACCESS!!! :banana: I just talked to a cast member at the Grand, there are days that guests won't have access, so I would ask the front desk to see if it's not blocked off that day. Good Luck!!!

p.s......I'm saving for my Disney Sea....on my bucket list...:cloud9:

Yay! Thanks for the great tip! We're staying at VGC as guests for my birthday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that we're allowed up there that night.

The music was really loud! My DH told me he could hear it from the hot tub! He came right up when he first heard it. I then realized that it had to be, since when facing the WoC, the music has to compete with the splashing noise the fountains make.

Oh my gosh - I think we might've been IN the hot tub with your husband! :rotfl:

So is anyone else on this board disappointed in the cancelation of the 2011 & 2012 Food & Wine Festivals?

So is anyone else on this board disappointed in the cancelation of the 2011 & 2012 Food & Wine Festivals?

Totally bummed. In fact, I just cancelled my end of may reservation.

What's really disturbing is how cagy they're being about it ever returning.

It doesn't really affect us, as we were not planning to participate. In fact, it helps us because we think that means we'll have smaller crowds during our May vacation. Still, I feel badly for everyone who was planning to attend and counts on that event. I know it will greatly disappoint many people, and that is sad to me.

THANK YOU! I feel the same way, other threads are sure that it's only because of the new construction, but I'm really wondering if that is a good excuse to cancel it for now, and then they think we will forget there ever was a F&W Festival.

I bought my points for the 11 month advantage during F&W. All my other trips are usually planned so close that I have to waitlist them. In that case I could have bought some points via resale at maybe half the price and then taken my chance on the WL at however many months out. D23 events and other special DLR events are usually only announced about six months out so I could have used points from any resort.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an owner there, I just really hope that they bring back the event which drove me to purchase there in the first place!

Oh my gosh - I think we might've been IN the hot tub with your husband! :rotfl:

I'll ask him if he remembers who he saw in the hot tub. He was there quite a lot. When we vacation at VGC, he does two things: the hot tub and order Long Islands :). I often ask him to bring up his glass when he orders from the Hearthstone Lounge. The glasses are larger than what they have in the room.

No. We've been every year since it started and we are continually underwhelmed by what they have to offer. Only a handful of seminars, some $$$ booze-related events and food booths that are a mere shadow of what they have at Epcot—sure, DCA doesn't have the same kind of space, but really...? Only 6 different dishes to try at the glorified food court they set up last year?

I think the hiatus may be a great opportunity for them to rethink DCA's version of the food fest and reboot it as something much better.

I'll ask him if he remembers who he saw in the hot tub. He was there quite a lot. When we vacation at VGC, he does two things: the hot tub and order Long Islands :). I often ask him to bring up his glass when he orders from the Hearthstone Lounge. The glasses are larger than what they have in the room.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I wan't impressed with it either. I have been to the Food and Wine and WDW and I thought it was MUCH better. I just liked all of the Kiosks they had back there with the different foods. I don't drink wine so never did that anyway, but I wasn't impressed with it. So I guess I don't care anyway.

No. We've been every year since it started and we are continually underwhelmed by what they have to offer. Only a handful of seminars, some $$$ booze-related events and food booths that are a mere shadow of what they have at Epcot—sure, DCA doesn't have the same kind of space, but really...? Only 6 different dishes to try at the glorified food court they set up last year?

I think the hiatus may be a great opportunity for them to rethink DCA's version of the food fest and reboot it as something much better.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I wan't impressed with it either. I have been to the Food and Wine and WDW and I thought it was MUCH better. I just liked all of the Kiosks they had back there with the different foods. I don't drink wine so never did that anyway, but I wasn't impressed with it. So I guess I don't care anyway.

This is why I'm pretty sure that we will NEVER see F&W again in CA. I think that "prepared food" can not be served in CA from a "non licensed kitchen" that is why every time they have had food items, they are always at a pre-existing location, they used the old Lucky Fortune (2008) and stage 12 (2010), to actuallly license booths like in FL would cost astronomical amounts. There is no way they would do it. Since it appears that everyone expects Epcot style F&W grazing, it won't happen in CA due to our food laws. For me I don't care about the booths (at least in CA), I was into the Signature events. Wine Maker Dinners, Cooking School, and Taste the Celebrity Chefs were fun and I was prepared next year to get there at opening to see them all, but that was gravy, I really enjoyed the overly expensive events and wish they could somehow keep those.

I have a feeling that F&W will quietly disappear from CA as Disney knows that people have very short memories....

This is why I'm pretty sure that we will NEVER see F&W again in CA. I think that "prepared food" can not be served in CA from a "non licensed kitchen" that is why every time they have had food items, they are always at a pre-existing location, they used the old Lucky Fortune (2008) and stage 12 (2010), to actuallly license booths like in FL would cost astronomical amounts. There is no way they would do it. Since it appears that everyone expects Epcot style F&W grazing, it won't happen in CA due to our food laws. For me I don't care about the booths (at least in CA), I was into the Signature events. Wine Maker Dinners, Cooking School, and Taste the Celebrity Chefs were fun and I was prepared next year to get there at opening to see them all, but that was gravy, I really enjoyed the overly expensive events and wish they could somehow keep those.

I have a feeling that F&W will quietly disappear from CA as Disney knows that people have very short memories....

SUCH a bummer! I had gone this year for the first time (haven't gone to the one at WDW so can't compare and say how sucky ours was)..and my plans were changed when some family members came along, so I did the park with them and missed all the wonderful presentations I'd hoped to see, saying I could go another time:sad1: I hope they come up with something new there..maybe more heavy on presentations..the wine walks were fun, they could expand on that kind of thing..I hope the whole thing isn't just tossed out.

Moderator Note:

Just a reminder that because long threads can cause issues with board software, we automatically close threads as they near 3750 posts or 250 pages. Your group may want to start thinking about starting a new thread. If you do, please send a PM to a moderator, and we will close this one.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter