The Vacation We're "Dream"ing About ~ Our First Cruise *Updated 4/30*

RooRach0906

"Oh Goody, Horray!"
Hello Everyone! We are so excited to be planning our first cruise. I plan on using this PTR to think aloud, show things I purchased and hopefully to get input from you veterans. We have never cruised on any cruise line before so I will need lots of tips/advice.

Let's start with the introductions....

CRT 2014.jpg

(ok first I have to say love the new way to input pictures)

This is our little family, Me/Mom, DH/Dad, and our 4 year old DD/Cinderella. We are a Disney loving family, who also loves God, and spending time with family and friends. I feel we are very blessed and am so thankful. We have been many times to Disney World and into 2011 became DVC members because it just made sense for our family.

We have always dreamed about cruising with DCL; we just though we couldn't afford it.

Last edited:
How this trip came to be:

We decided when thinking about our 2015 vacation in the beginning of 2014 (this is pretty normal for us) that we would like to do something different. Cinderella would be going to Disney World with her grandparents in Jan 2015 anyway so she wouldn't miss it.

First we thought about doing Aulani while Cinderella was in Disney but the flight prices were a little steep.

Between ideas tho, I had talked to my parents (grandparents who were taking Cinderella to WDW) about if we got them a room using our points to take her could that cancel out the debt I owed them. They agreed that it would. We also decided to change our 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom for our fall 2014 WDW vacation (my sister and daughter were staying with us and it would be nice to have the extra space).

Second we thought about going to Disneyland but not knowing much about where to stay (not having enough to use DVC) and possibly what else to do in CA and decided this would be better when Cinderella is older.

Then we thought what about DCL since most likely we will be cash anyway this year. We got on DCL website and looked up 4 day Bahamian cruises (because I wanted to the Dream or Fantasy and didn't want a full week since it is our first cruise ever) and it looked right for our budget so planning continued...

• DH was a little worried about hurricanes and since we are pretty flexible about when we can go places. I did a google search on hurricane season and since it say June 1st - Nov 30th we would not be going then.
  • Second we knew Cinderella was going to WDW in January so that month was out. We toyed with the idea of December to see the Christmas decorations but I thought that would be fun to save if we turn out to like cruises for a week long cruise.
  • We also we trying to go during the somewhat of down time, when kids are in school, because the prices are cheaper which means more souvenirs etc while on the cruise.
  • Cinderella's birthday is May 16 so I told DH we should go then.

We ended up decided to go May 4-8th Dream on the and we will celebrate for DD birthday.

We are also doing two nights, so check-in 8th and out on the 10th, at Saratoga Springs to enjoy something's outside the parks that WDW has to offer.

Last edited:
Hi!!

We are cruising on the Dream in December. I look forward to reading about your experience. We have always gone to Disneyland so we are going to go to WDW too after the cruise. I have pouring over everything I can to find out what we are going to be doing and such.

Hi!! Thanks for joining along. Woohoo for cruising I'm sure your excited! I love WDW, we were not gonna go this year but now DH is thinking about doing a trip in August(mainly because DD has an annual pass). We are doing a two nights at Saratoga Springs Resort after the cruise but mainly to chill out and enjoy the pool and things outside the parks we never end up doing.

I think that one of the wonderful things about WDW is the resorts can be a vacation in themselves. That is good planning. I think they learned from Disneyland. While there are a few things to do at the resorts at DLR there is not nearly as much. We decided that the day we get in from the cruise will be spent exploring the different resorts. Especially the Grand Floridian. I have to see that gingerbread house!

I love all the Gingerbread houses. I think my favorite was the boardwalk tho. My favorite thing from our December trip besides tea with my mom on her 65 birthday was the peppermint cupcake at Boardwalk Bakery.

I love all the Gingerbread houses. I think my favorite was the boardwalk tho. My favorite thing from our December trip besides tea with my mom on her 65 birthday was the peppermint cupcake at Boardwalk Bakery.

So, there are gingerbread houses at the other resorts? All of them or just some? That first day we are visiting the different resorts instead of visiting a park.

There are Gingerbread displays at multiple resorts, not all are houses but all are beautiful. GF, Contemporary, Boardwalk, and Yacht/Beach. That sounds like fun!

Port ideas etc

We have 13 days until we can book our port excursions and things onboard; we are thinking about doing Discovery Atlantis Tour in Nassau or staying onboard, snorkeling at Castaway Cay (want to get DD gear for this), and Palo brunch on our at sea day. Anyone have any advice on this or tips?

We are also looking into getting a waterproof camera, any advice on a good one?

Last edited:
There are Gingerbread displays at multiple resorts, not all are houses but all are beautiful. GF, Contemporary, Boardwalk, and Yacht/Beach. That sounds like fun!

Oh that's great news! Thank you!

Port ideas etc

We have 13 days until we can book our port excursions and things onboard; we are thinking about doing Discovery Atlantis Tour in Nassau or staying onboard, snorkeling at Castaway Cay (want to get DD gear for this), and Palo brunch on our at sea day. Anyone have any advice on this or tips?

We are also looking into getting a waterproof camera, any advice on a good one?

I have a friend that has been to Nassau on a cruise and she said that the Atlantis tour is fun and worth doing. We are going to stay onboard. There are tons of things to do there. Castaway Cay is going to be a lazy day for me except going to the shops, and post office to mail post cards home. I have another friend that told me Palo is not to be missed!

I have a friend that has been to Nassau on a cruise and she said that the Atlantis tour is fun and worth doing. We are going to stay onboard. There are tons of things to do there. Castaway Cay is going to be a lazy day for me except going to the shops, and post office to mail post cards home. I have another friend that told me Palo is not to be missed!

That is great to know. We keep going back in forth on Nassau day. I think it would be fun to do but I also want to do as much of things on the ship we can.

Last edited:
Weight Loss

At the beginning of the year last year, when we booked the cruise and had our September 2014 WDW trip planned. I decided I needed to lose the extra weight I put on since I was marry. When I got married I weighed around 115.

honeymoon stitch.jpg
(This is from our honeymoon.)

Since we got married the pounds have been steadily coming on. I was really unhappy about it. I had tried off and on to lose weight but never stuck to it. I had got up to 168ish.

tigpoohepcot2013.jpg
(Sept 2013 trip. This was another huge reason I wanted to lose I hated seeing myself in these pictures)

I have been trying to lose weight for a year now, at the beginning I was bad but by April I really start to buckle down and I have had some success. I also had some help from God in February I started getting heart palpitations I figured out that is was from the caffeine so I stop all caffeine which meant I mainly drink water, which has help me lose. I fluctuated between 129-131. I know this is great! I am thankful to God that I have gotten this far as I could not have done it without him.

result.jpg
(Sept 2014)

But I really want to be between 120-125 for the cruise no more than 125 definitely. To keep myself on track a little more than I have been I will probably post weekly updates on this especially to make sure I exercise as I have been bad lately and also to make sure I am sticking to my calorie count which I did not do yesterday. (Homemade Rice Crispy treats got me!)

Last edited:
That is great to know. We keep going back in forth on Nassau day. I think it would be fun to do but I also want to do as much of things on the ship we can.

I am at ties regretting that we are only doing a 3 day cruise. But, I'm willing to play onboard in Nassau.

Weight Loss

At the beginning of the year last year, when we booked the cruise and had our September 2014 WDW trip planned. I decided I needed to lose the extra weight I put on since I was marry. When I got married I weighed around 115.

View attachment 1434
(This is from our honeymoon.)

Since we got married the pounds have been steadily coming on. I was really unhappy about it. I had tried off and on to lose weight but never stuck to it. I had got up to 168ish.

View attachment 1436
(Sept 2013 trip. This was another huge reason I wanted to lose I hated seeing myself in these pictures)

I have been trying to lose weight for a year now, at the beginning I was bad but by April I really start to buckle down and I have had some success. I also had some help from God in February I started getting heart palpitations I figured out that is was from the caffeine so I stop all caffeine which meant I mainly drink water, which has help me lose. I fluctuated between 129-131. I know this is great! I am thankful to God that I have gotten this far as I could not have done it without him.

View attachment 1419
(Sept 2014)

But I really want to be between 120-125 for the cruise no more than 125 definitely. To keep myself on track a little more than I have been I will probably post weekly updates on this especially to make sure I exercise as I have been bad lately and also to make sure I am sticking to my calorie count which I did not do yesterday. (Homemade Rice Crispy treats got me!)

Good going on the weight loss! Good luck on those last pounds!

I think doing a 3 day is a good start to cruising.

Thank you! I have done really well the last two days!

Purchases (Swim)

I have been making a few purchases for the cruise. Land's end was having an extra 25% off sale items the other day so I couldn't help myself. I got 4 different pieces for $40.

swimpink.jpg

I got the tops for this suit last summer the shirt is a little big but I will deal, the bottoms are new... one of my deals.

swimpurple.jpg

My new suit!!!! I am so excited about this suit!!! I love it!!!

I am very fair skinned so I may have to end up wearing the swim shirt most of the time; we will see tho!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter