The Running Thread -- 2022

Has anyone had any problems with a chest strap giving incorrect readings? I have a Polar chest strap that I use with my Apple Watch Series 5. It's not even a year old, but it keeps dropping my heart rate after I've been running for around 30 minutes. It will start with a presumably accurate reading of 137 and then will go down to around 100 or less. I assumed that it was the battery, but the same thing happened after I replaced the battery before my Saturday morning run.
If it's not even a year old, is it maybe still under warranty?

Garmin hive mind question....I knew my short run today was "off" when it gave me a first mile pace about a minute faster than what I have been running--and subsequent miles and total distance were off. And when I look at the GPS trace it is wonky beyond belief. This hasn't happened to me before (with any Garmin). Before I go down the Internet rabbit hole, does anyone have any pearls of wisdom as to cause or correction?

The issues earlier this year had to do with a caching file that the watch holds to make satellite lock quicker. That file was corrupted so the lock was off. That hasn't happened in a while and when it does it is reported on because it impacts a lot of people. It is possible there is a problem with your watch's file which I believe can be refreshed with a hard boot and then going to get a new satellite lock.

Sometimes there are also some issues if you are are near buildings. I had this activity below when I was in Chicago for one day this summer. It took forever, close to 20 minutes, for my 945 to even get a signal and I was out near the shore. Obviously something was off because there was no swim involved in my run and I've yet to master walking on water. Sometimes the angle of the satellite is very low in the sky and even short building can cause issues. Now that I have the Epix 2 I'm hoping the additional satellite options help.

1661174950745.png

The actual run began and ended at Grant park, went down the south bank of the river and back up the north bank, and included a little bit of the Navy pier.

The issues earlier this year had to do with a caching file that the watch holds to make satellite lock quicker. That file was corrupted so the lock was off. That hasn't happened in a while and when it does it is reported on because it impacts a lot of people. It is possible there is a problem with your watch's file which I believe can be refreshed with a hard boot and then going to get a new satellite lock.

Sometimes there are also some issues if you are are near buildings. I had this activity below when I was in Chicago for one day this summer. It took forever, close to 20 minutes, for my 945 to even get a signal and I was out near the shore. Obviously something was off because there was no swim involved in my run and I've yet to master walking on water. Sometimes the angle of the satellite is very low in the sky and even short building can cause issues. Now that I have the Epix 2 I'm hoping the additional satellite options help.

View attachment 696051

The actual run began and ended at Grant park, went down the south bank of the river and back up the north bank, and included a little bit of the Navy pier.
When I saw your running map, I immediately thought about Dash from The Incredibles running on water.

Anyone absolutely love their anti-chafing stuff? Body Glide and Gold Bond sticks have been a big fail for me. This heat and humidity leaves me soaked when I run, and wet clothes + skin + constant movement = BAD
I really like the 2Toms SportsShield roll on. BodyGlide still works fine for chafing most of the time, but was an absolute disaster blister wise during the 2019 Marathon. For 2020, I switched to SportsShield roll on for chafing and their 2Toms powder for blister prevention. I now have BodyGlide on hand just in case, but SportsShield is my go to.
2 Toms Sports Shield rollon. The ONLY thing I've found that holds up here in FL! Goes on and stays slick, not like Body Glide or Squirrel's Nut Butter. 2 Toms also offers it in little one-use individual wipes, which is super convenient for races... but they don't work as well as the rollon. Nice to carry with in case you need it mid-race, though.
Good to know about the one use wipes for in race emergencies!

Can't agree more with the endorsements from @Sleepless Knight and @PrincessV about the 2Toms Sports Shield.

Had major issues with Body Glide during the 2020 Half. Went to the expo later on that day and talked with the Sports Shield vendor, and decided to try it for the marathon. I know the old adage 'nothing new on race day," but figured it couldn't have been worse than body glide in the heat and humidity. It held up fantastically during the marathon, and now I don't race without it.

QOTD: Do you carry your own water at a race or rely on aid stations?
It depends.

For most races, I rely solely on aid stations.
For races shorter than HM, I always rely on aid stations.
For HM or M, if I don’t have a time goal I rely on aid stations, I can take my time and drink multiple cups if I need to.
For HM or M, if I have a time goal, I now carry bottles that I can refill with water at the stations and drink from with my fuel along the course. I sometimes start with liquid nutrition in some of them.

ATTQOTD: For road races marathon length and below, I rely on the course aid stations for hydration unless I see an atypical distance between aid stations on the course map. Hydration every 1.5 to 2 miles is just fine with me. I carry my own nutrition, though.

I carry my own during ultras, however, as it's not unusual for there to be 5-10 miles between aid stations. My upcoming 50k, for instance, is a 7.75 mile loop. There's only one aid station on the course, at the start/finish line. That's a little too far between stops for me, so I wear my hydration belt and refill after each lap.

ATTQOTD:
If it's a DISNEY race, I use the on-course aid stations for water/powerade. I carry my own fuel for half/full distances.

If it's a LOCAL race I look at where the aid stations are supposed to be AND what they say they will have. For example: the full I ran last year in October had "Hammer Heed" for their electrolyte drink on-course and that stuff is NASTY, so I also carried my own for that.

Regarding the QOTD, I forgot to add that some rare races do not allow vests. NYRR marathon is one of them. If you are trying to equip yourself for that one and do not want to rely on stations, then a belt or handheld bottle are the options.

QOTD: Do you carry your own water at a race or rely on aid stations?
It depends. At Disney races I rely on course aid since I don’t race those for time and the aid stations come up regularly and close together. I plan my fuel around the aid stations. For other road races, I rely on the course for short distances. I partially rely on the course for the HM. I will carry a handheld for races where I am going for time so I can time my fuel to my liking rather than the aid stations and ensure I have water when I need it. I supplement with course water as needed and when convenient. For trail races, anything longer than a 5k I usually need to carry something. While they usually have really good aid stations, they are often significantly farther apart than road races and I need water more than every few miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter