• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread -- 2022

ATTQOTD: carry my own (or if shorter than 10k, do without). Too worried about tripping myself or someone else when trying to get to the water. Also haven't mastered not getting wet if not using a squirt top. Though for (so far only) marathon did end up supplementing with aid station gatorade towards the end when I was fading.

HOTQOTD (hijack of the QOTD): I really like my Nathan water belt (2x10oz) but one of the bottle straps broke (and the other is just hanging in there). Visited 4 tailors and 1 shoe repair shop and nobody could fix. Any suggestions on who to turn to next? Or for replacements?

HOTQOTD (hijack of the QOTD): I really like my Nathan water belt (2x10oz) but one of the bottle straps broke (and the other is just hanging in there). Visited 4 tailors and 1 shoe repair shop and nobody could fix. Any suggestions on who to turn to next? Or for replacements?

What about a luggage repair shop? I would think they deal with straps and handles quite a bit.

ATTQOTD: Like everyone else, I use water stations as long as they're close enough together to meet my hydration requirements. Carrying anything extra during a race is such a pain, and you really notice it toward the end when you're tired. I do carry my own nutrition, though.

ATTHOTQOTD: I'm using the Nathan Peak Hydration belt (1x 16oz) and I like it. I have read generally Nathan products don't really last very well, and if this doesn't work out I'll probably try the Ultraspire Synaptic or Essential.

ATTHQOTD: The Nathan bottles are just too small for me and the first belt I had wore out and broke pretty quickly. Nathan was great about replacing it, but I went in search of a solution with higher capacity without getting into the hydration backpack realm.

What I found and currently use are the Ultraspire waist packs. The Synaptic has one 500 mL bottle and the Speedgoat has two 500 mL bottles. They're very comfortable to wear and don't spin around my waist at all. Even better, they have a modular front panel, letting you swap the stock panel out for one with an attachment to hold one of their waist lights. I run in a hat, so headlamps are problematic. The waist light has been a great solution for night running!

ATTHQOTD: The Nathan bottles are just too small for me and the first belt I had wore out and broke pretty quickly. Nathan was great about replacing it, but I went in search of a solution with higher capacity without getting into the hydration backpack realm.

What I found and currently use are the Ultraspire waist packs. The Synaptic has one 500 mL bottle and the Speedgoat has two 500 mL bottles. They're very comfortable to wear and don't spin around my waist at all. Even better, they have a modular front panel, letting you swap the stock panel out for one with an attachment to hold one of their waist lights. I run in a hat, so headlamps are problematic. The waist light has been a great solution for night running!
I’m going to look into ultraspire. I have a Nathan belt and run out of water on warm days. I stay in my neighborhood so swing by my house to refill my bottle, and I’d like to it have to do that.

ATTQOTD: I've just used the hydration stations before, and packed my own fuel in a belt to consume just before water stations. I'm thinking of bringing my vest this year, but honestly I'm worried it may look dumb in pictures. And surely that's the most important thing, right?

QOTD: Do you carry your own water at a race or rely on aid stations?

I always carry my own. I don't want to have to figure out where the aid stations are. And even if they are plentiful, I sweat buckets so they usually aren't enough. I tried the Princess 10k without anything and I regretted it. I did the HM with my hydration vest and yes it does show up on the pictures but it's not so bad. But I don't have very detailed costumes either.

ATTQOTD: I've just used the hydration stations before, and packed my own fuel in a belt to consume just before water stations. I'm thinking of bringing my vest this year, but honestly I'm worried it may look dumb in pictures. And surely that's the most important thing, right?
Are you trying to PR? Do you have any health conditions or tendencies while running that would necessitate you having fuel more often than the aid stations are set up?
In a runDisney race it kinda is.
This ^^^ was my decision last year. I did pack my vest just in case the weather went crazy and it was going to be stupid hot like all of the 2020 stories I had heard/read, but I ended up not using it at all. I wasn't hot enough to make me nervous, AND I had decided that I'd spent enough money on race costumes that I didn't want to cover up half of it with a vest.

Do lots of people wear vests? Yes. Did I see multiple vests people had discarded on the side of the road during the full? Also yes.

I love my hydration vest and use it for all my runs over 6 miles or so And occasionally for even shorter ones when I’m out in the hill country with zero water access away from home. But, I won’t be carrying it for MW because of this. If I carry anything it will be a small handheld for the later miles if it’s warm and I might want water more than every 1.5 miles. I don’t do elaborate costumes but the vest covers basically any top I would wear and I want my course pictures to look bad because they catch me on a downstep and I’m suffering, not because my cute costume is covered.

ATTQOTD: Like many others have already answered, for runDisney races i use the water stations. I do pack fuel for > 10k. I find Disney has more stations than many local races and I’m not trying to set any personal records (unless it’s how many character stops I can fit in!).

For local races greater than 10k I bring water.

Race report: The Philly 10k

This wasn't an A race, or even a B race for me, really, because I'm training for the Philadelphia Half in November and this was just kind of a race that fell during the training plan Billy made me for that. Of course that didn't stop me from deciding in the starting corral that I was going to go out as aggressively as if it was an A race, despite not having tapered at all and actually having run 7 miles the day before :crazy: .And also despite a T+D of almost 150 at the start and at 150 by the finish. Long story short I finished with an official time of 58:38 but I think my 5k split was about 27:30. So, yes, I really blew up in the heat in that second half.

Bib pickup: Bib pickup was in The Bourse building, which is a historic site that used to house the stock exchange or something. It's a fancy structure right in the same 1 block radius with the Constitution Center, Independence Hall, and the LIberty Bell, but now it seems to house mostly a food court. The emails I got from the organizers in the weeks leading up, and the small lines of people picking up bibs, made me worry it was going to be a low turnout this year. I picked my stuff up no problem and got a cheesesteak from the amazing-smelling counter at the food court. It was pretty good even though I hadn't heard of the vendor. Race merchandise was nice if limited. I really really liked the shirts that you didn't get for free with registration, but I didn't bite. When I picked up my bib, and they handed me my "free" t shirt, DH exclaimed, "ANOTHER race t shirt??!! How many do you have now?" The answer is actually over 3 dozen so I didn't have the heart to buy the cool singlet at the merch table. They also had beer glasses with the race logo etc. I was handed a free race poster as I walked out as well.

Race day: The start line is walkable from my apartment, so the morning was pretty easy. I drank a Liquid IV and had a little toast probably too close to race time (the drink came up on me a few times during the race) but it was very stress-free getting there. Once I got to the corrals I realized there were more people there than I expected. I don't know the exact numbers but there must have been at least 2000-2500 there I'm guessing. My race result email told me there were 1300+ in my gender so we can kind of figure the math.
Everything was easy: Corrals clearly marked. Lines of porta potties on the west side of the corral area (behind the last corrals). I got there about 10 minutes before race start which is how I like it. I was able to stretch a little but not standing in one place for too long.
Some upbeat ABBA at the start, which was great, and we were off. South Street, the start & end of the race, is kind of narrow but people seemed to have placed themselves appropriately in the corrals so there wasn't a bottleneck. Everybody was moving at around the same pace. I have the lowest level Garmin and it is just terrible at telling me my pace anywhere there are buildings so the first mile was way off. I came up to the 1 mile marker when my watch said 0.88 miles. It was off by about that much the rest of the race. We got on much wider roads with shorter buildings by mile 2 or so. It's a nice tour of South Philly: the landmark cheesesteak battleground between Pat's & Genos, Little Italy, then head north onto narrow streets again, into a little portion of the "Gayborhood", and back to South Street. As I mentioned above, I was chugging along like I was really racing for the first half, but then the heat really got to me. I had to stop to walk 3 different times just to slow my heart rate down and to cool down a bit. My watch said my max HR was 202 but I am thinking (hoping) that was just a glitch. It looks like it is just a spike up there for a minute and then back to somewhat normal. In any case I was feeling it. I let go of any notion of racing by like mile 4 and just finished up running but not pushing.
Finish line: They handed out cold washcloths first thing after you finish, and man did that hit the spot. Bananas and water too. I think there was a tent giving away a free beer but at 8:30AM no thank you (did I mention my Liquid IV had already come up on me a few times?).
This race was very fun, crowd support was good. The volunteers were great of course. It's just such a hot time of year. I don't know if I'll do it again but I'll consider it, especially since it is so close to my home. They did offer registration at the expo which might be the best bet for someone like me: see what the weather will be and if it's not oppressive, just sign up last minute.

Are you trying to PR? Do you have any health conditions or tendencies while running that would necessitate you having fuel more often than the aid stations are set up?

For fuel, I've just never taken food from the aid stations, since I prefer to use what I am comfortable with. I have a mild honey allergy, so I tend to skip anything from Honey Stinger just to be safe. Plus, I've heard too many horror stories of people trying a new gel that didn't sit well with their stomach. To me, "nothing new on race day" means I bring my own fuel, but others may feel differently!

For water, I've not had any problem with the spacing at WDW races.

For fuel, I've just never taken food from the aid stations, since I prefer to use what I am comfortable with. I have a mild honey allergy, so I tend to skip anything from Honey Stinger just to be safe. Plus, I've heard too many horror stories of people trying a new gel that didn't sit well with their stomach. To me, "nothing new on race day" means I bring my own fuel, but others may feel differently!

For water, I've not had any problem with the spacing at WDW races.
So it sounds like you’re considering a vest *mainly* to carry fuel? I feel like that’s overkill, and there are other options that won’t encase so much of your upper body and hold heat in. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Ymmv.

Late to the party, but ATTQ:

Aid stations exclusively for liquids - tend to start with water and at the end go with whatever gatorade/powerade they offer. One race was cupless and I experimented with a hydration belt and handheld but unfortunately they didn't work for me. I ended up using a 6 oz flask that fit in my flipbelt and drank only 3 oz the entire race (luckily it was a cool weather half marathon). But I do carry my fuel with me. You can always look up the fuel they offer and see where along the race they hand them out. Sometimes there's people in the crowd that hand out bananas and other treats (ie beer!).

Even though I basically adhered to the "nothing new on race day" approach, I did eat the Honey Stinger energy chews that they gave out at the marathon. I was lucky that it didn't cause my stomach any problems because I trained using gels. For that reason, I declined the banana because I didn't know how that might affect my GI. That being said, the BEST thing that runDisney provided were the chocolates as you entered Hollywood Studios. That was a great, sweet surprise that certainly lifted my spirits.

Even though I basically adhered to the "nothing new on race day" approach, I did eat the Honey Stinger energy chews that they gave out at the marathon. I was lucky that it didn't cause my stomach any problems because I trained using gels. For that reason, I declined the banana because I didn't know how that might affect my GI. That being said, the BEST thing that runDisney provided were the chocolates as you entered Hollywood Studios. That was a great, sweet surprise that certainly lifted my spirits.
I specifically bought honey stinger chews just for the "nothing new on race day" reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter