The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I drink a ton of water normally. But I can tell if I'm not hydrated by GI cramping. That's always my body's first indicator. I tend to drink water on a run if I'm going more than a couple miles. If I feel dehydrated I tend to eat pedialyte popsicles because Gatorade and other sports drinks make me ill.

ATTQOTD: Just during daily living I am never dehydrated. I drink all day long. I am also usually good about carrying water if I am going to be running longer than 3 miles, especially when it is hot. My terrible race experience was a fluke for me because usually I have to hit the porta potties a couple of times during a marathon. Chills, generally feeling "out of it", lightheaded, etc.

Well I think my experiment with morning running is done, at least for now. I got eaten up so badly by bugs this morning that I cut my run short just so I could get back inside (only .25 miles short but still!) The area I run in has ditches on both sides of the road that are currently filled with water. With our constant thunderstorms they haven't been drying up. I had bugs chasing me! I killed three mosquitoes as they were biting me. And gnats, ugh! I don't know how you morning people do it, lol! I looked like a crazy person running down the road, flailing my arms wildly to bat the bugs away and out of my face! And there is no where else to run as my work is almost at the end of this long road that is the only way in and out. So I have to run on that road to get anywhere. I will take the afternoon heat over the bugs any day.

Disney Update: My little joke seems like it could actually happen. When she realized I was joking about a trip she said she was sad. So... Going to do a little more research, but it looks like a July trip for a long weekend may happen. Bad news is the 60 day window is already open. Looks like rope drop at HS for Slinky is our best bet. I'll update when I know its a yes or no. lol

Well I think my experiment with morning running is done, at least for now. I got eaten up so badly by bugs this morning that I cut my run short just so I could get back inside (only .25 miles short but still!) The area I run in has ditches on both sides of the road that are currently filled with water. With our constant thunderstorms they haven't been drying up. I had bugs chasing me! I killed three mosquitoes as they were biting me. And gnats, ugh! I don't know how you morning people do it, lol!
Morning, evening, any time is Mosquito Central here in the swamplands of FL! Aaaaaand I'm quite allergic to the little suckers. How do I do it? DEET. I spray down before every run.

Disney Update: My little joke seems like it could actually happen. When she realized I was joking about a trip she said she was sad. So... Going to do a little more research, but it looks like a July trip for a long weekend may happen. Bad news is the 60 day window is already open. Looks like rope drop at HS for Slinky is our best bet. I'll update when I know its a yes or no. lol
Keep checking - people are reporting finding SDD FPs by checking repeatedly!

Having made a few spur of moment trips to Disneyland, I think these unplanned trips have a very different kind of fun to them. As in a different appreciation of the magic when you weren't anticipating it. I hope it works out for you.

ATTQOTD:
Typical weekend for us, but weather permitting, we will grill out Monday since DH is off work.
I will run as usual on Monday - weather permitting.
A lazy weekend to kick off the summer sounds perfect to me!

ATTQOTD: Urine color. I have found that I do a much better job of staying hydrated at work (desk job and always have something sitting at arms length) than I do at home. It's definitely something I've got to do better with this summer since training will continue.

ATTQOTD: I am quite bad at judging hydration in my everyday life. It happens that mid-afternoon I am in a meeting and feel my tongue sticking and my gum itching just to realize that I drank zero since breakfast (always a cup of coffee and a glass of milk). So, pre-races, I have to count. I setup my cups and bottles at work and have post-it with target finish time. And for this weekend Challenge, I already have a detailed hydration plan (the 10AM drink, the 2PM applesauce, the bottle next to the bed, etc). During the run, I drink at every station, alternating electrolyte drinks and water.

Hydration is something I am super bad at. I mostly drink coffee and that's about it. :o A couple months ago I knew I needed to get better at it during my HM training. I just hate to drink plain water so much and I've gotten super tired of my refillable bottle with Crystal Light drops in it. It's not that I really dislike plain water... I drink it just fine while I'm exercising, like I will down a 32 oz bottle during an Orangetheory class. Just for some reason I have a hard time making myself drink it a lot of the time outside of exercise. I'll fill up a mug and then it will sit there untouched. But I really like the flavored fizzy waters that they sell at Walmart, especially the Key Lime one. It's like 68 cents for a 1-ish liter bottle. Unfortunately, I never shop at Walmart. But then I realized, I drive past a Walmart to/from my dog agility class on Sunday mornings so now it is my thing on our way home from class to stop there and stock up on a bunch of bottles for the week. I still probably don't drink as much water as I should but I am certainly drinking more than I was!

Hydration when I'm running I am ok at! I carry a handheld bottle on longer/warmer races and take cups at the water stops, usually 1-2 water and a gatorade if they have it. When my handheld runs out, I ask to fill it from their coolers.

Last edited:
My trick with hydration is that I reach a point where I just don't want to drink any more water, especially in the summer months. My biggest key is urine color and have learned that when it starts to get too dark, rehydrate immediately. It's easier for me to stay hydrated on solo visits since I don't feel like I'm slowing down anybody else when I stop to refill a water bottle. In the parks, I usually drink propel or something if only because Anaheim or Orlando tap water grows real old real fast especially when it isn't anywhere near cold water.

QOTD: With the long weekend coming up (Memorial Day) does anyone have any special plans? If you are off of work Monday, do you take advantage of it to do a run you normally would not be able to do on a Monday?

ATTQOTD: We have plans this weekend which are going to make running difficult and Monday DW is working, so I may get the kiddos on the BoB for a little run around the lakes on campus. Havent looked at the weather yet this morning, but I think we are expecting a lot of rain, and perhaps a tropical system of some sort. Off the the weather web site for model runs!

I will be running and riding each day this weekend if the weather allows for it.

QOTD: This topic has been touched on a bit, but I figured its worth going into in a little more detail today. How do you know if you are staying hydrated and how do you do so? What are some signs that you are dehydrated?

ATTQOTD: I know I'm doing well in the hydration department when I'm not waking up with cotton mouth, a slight headache, and not having random cramps. These just so happen to be my signs as well... So lately even though I haven't been running much I am dealing with the headaches and dry mouth. When I try to drink more fluids during the day, I find myself having to use the restroom every 30 minutes. This is not normal for me so I think there may be something going on and since I need to probably start getting yearly health check ups with a Dr. this issue may speed up that process.

It’s all about the pee color. I go for a slight hint of yellow.

I got Slinky today for Opening Day, so keep checking!

We are headed to NH for the long weekend - looking forward to relaxing, kayaking, and a long run in my favorite rail trail. I need to get that long run in and decide whether I feel up to the 10 miler I’m registered for on June 3. The Lyme symptoms are getting better - but still not 100%.

Hydration is my weakness - I’m terrible and trying to be better, esp now with the temp changes. I get headaches and migraines, and have even gotten to the point of dizziness, etc.

One of the things that keeps me sane as a parent is the weekend or two a year for just Mrs McN and I. Sometimes it is just a staycation in the city, other tines we have escaped to Australia(3 hr flight). WDW would be perfect, even with sub optimal FP!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter