The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: How many different devices have you used to track your runs over the years?

ATTQOTD: I'm on my 4th device. I first started out using my phone to track distance, then I think my first watch was the Forerunner 410, then the 620 (stopped working), and finally the 235. I really like this one and I have to avoid looking at the new shinny toys that they keep coming out with because.... well I like new toys.

QOTD: How many different devices have you used to track your runs over the years?

2-3
First was my old phone, then my Garmin FR10. I occasionally track on my current phone (although mapmyrun was drunk this am), so I dont know if that counts.
And I'll be picking up a vivoactive 3 at some point in June (unless there's a really good memorial day sale). So that will be official #3.

ATTQOTD: 2 (if you count a series of Timex Ironman dumb watches as 1) and my current Garmin FR 235. I'm a low tech guy, despite working in a high tech job.

Complaint about the weather: In the south, we've started our new season of 'Steam' that goes from May to November. T+D of 140 at 7:00 AM.

ATTQOTD: I am on my 4th. Phone at first when I had no clue about gps watches. A Forerunner 305 (used it until I sweated the noise and vibration dead). A Forerunner 920Xt (handed down to my son), and now on a Fenix 3 HR (which is, by far, my favorite).

I'm a frequent lurker but may try to start posting more frequently if I can!

ATTQOTD: 3--I first used the Nike app on my iPhone. Then I got an apple watch from my girlfriend for Christmas and I started using the Nike app on that as well. But since I like listening to a specific playlist on my phone, I was taking both the phone and the watch on my runs. (BTW, the Nike App on the phone and the one on the watch frequently do not synch up (i.e. I start a run on the phone and the watch doesn't recognize and display it all the time) which is super frustrating and disappointing). I finally decided I needed a dedicated running watch with better GPS and more data capability so I got my first Garmin (a Vivoactive 3). But I have years of runs and accomplishments in my Nike app and I hate losing that progress. And I only just got the Apple watch 5 months ago... So I have strapped my Garmin on my right arm and I've been using all three devices at once....

ATTQOTD: Just 2, although I'm going to switch to a 3rd soon-ish. I used RunKeeper on my phone for all of my training in 2015 for Tink and the race itself, then after I got back I treated myself to a Garmin 220. I still use that now 3 years later, but the battery life is getting pretty crappy. I mentioned in my writeup of my HM last weekend that this is the second HM in a row where the low battery warnings started around mile 9-10. I'm going to upgrade to the 645, probably save myself $50 and get it without music, because I have my phone with me all the time for music.

ATTQOTD: I think I am on my third. Used the Nike app first, then Garmin forerunner 225, and now using Garmin vivoactive 3. Loving my latest Garmin. Didn’t realize how heavy and massive my 225 was until I switched.

Yesterday’s question: Pretty much what everyone else said about checking urine color and drinking water

Memorial Day weekend plans: Don’t have any concrete plans. We will actually be avoiding our neighborhood pool. It just opened back up for the season last weekend and it’s going to be slammed. Hopefully going to see Solo!

ATTQOTD: 3ish. An old fitbit that didnt display any numbers, just dots, my phone (2 apps map my run and Samsung health), and my fitbit charge 2. Not a fan at all of the fitbits but both I've gotten have been free and I cant argue with free. If I were to stop taking vacations I could afford to spend some money on a good tracker, but I like vacations.

Do you spray your face too? Those things were driving me batty, buzzing my face, in my eyes, up my nose, ugggghhhh!
I don't, but I can't say as they've ever bothered me up there! The key here seems to be to just keep moving... you can find me at the marathon 8-minute cycle traffic signal flailing about to keep mosquitoes from landing on me, lol!

ATTQOT: Hmm... I've only ever used Runkeeper as the long-term keeper of all data, but I've used multiple other things to collect the data that goes into Runkeeper. Runkeeper and iSmoothRun apps on my phone. Timex Ironman GPS watch for a while. Then a Garmin 10 that I still use occasionally. That's it, really.

Complaint about the weather: In the south, we've started our new season of 'Steam' that goes from May to November. T+D of 140 at 7:00 AM.
Yep, I hear ya. Sunrise run this morning felt mighty muggy, albeit with a nice sea breeze. T+D was "only" 146, though. Downright balmy. :rotfl:

I'm a frequent lurker but may try to start posting more frequently if I can!

ATTQOTD: 3--I first used the Nike app on my iPhone. Then I got an apple watch from my girlfriend for Christmas and I started using the Nike app on that as well. But since I like listening to a specific playlist on my phone, I was taking both the phone and the watch on my runs. (BTW, the Nike App on the phone and the one on the watch frequently do not synch up (i.e. I start a run on the phone and the watch doesn't recognize and display it all the time) which is super frustrating and disappointing). I finally decided I needed a dedicated running watch with better GPS and more data capability so I got my first Garmin (a Vivoactive 3). But I have years of runs and accomplishments in my Nike app and I hate losing that progress. And I only just got the Apple watch 5 months ago... So I have strapped my Garmin on my right arm and I've been using all three devices at once....

Welcome to the thread officially then!

For the last weekend of May we have the following folks with races:

26 - @rootbeerkid - Medina Half Marathon (1:55:00 / N/A)
26 - @KSellers88 - Run Across Georgia (NG / NA)
26 - @flav - Ottawa 5k (24:50 / N/A)
26 - flav - Ottawa 10k (54:50 / N/A)
26 - @PaDisneyCouple (Mr) - Wineglass Glassfest 8k (45:00 / N/A)
27 - flav - Ottawa Half Marathon (2:25:00 / N/A)
27 - @BikeFan - Alexandria Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @Disney at Heart - Georgia Peach Jam Half Marathon (NG / N/A)
28 - @PrincessMickey - Bolder Boulder 10k (NG / N/A)

Good luck this weekend runners! If you would like to revise your goal or if someone else would like me to add a race to the list this weekend, just let me know.

QOTD: I gotta be on device 4 or so. Really started tracking with my Nike+ — remember those? There was a pod that went into your shoe, a tracker that hooked into your iPod? Loved it! Then a couple of basic GPS watching, inc the Garmin 15. Current using the Garmin 235, which I love. Funny thing is I got the Apple Watch for Christmas, wear it daily except for when running. Haven’t figured how to make the AW do the same things as the 235.

I'm on my 4th device. I started with the Walkmeter app on iPhone and when things started getting serious I moved to the Forerunner 220. When the Forerunner 235 came out with the wrist based HR, my wife got me one for Christmas and I used it until Labor Day last year when I upgraded to my current Forerunner 935 thinking I'd need the additional battery life for an ultra I had planned.. The 935 is far and away my favorite of the set, even though I don't use most of its multi-sport features.

ATTQOTD: 4th. First was old school pedometer that went around my neck. Super inaccurate but I was being cheap, lol. Then my phone using Runkeeper, then Garmin 110 (I think?) and currently have a Garmin Vivoactive 1. I would love to get the Vivoactive 3 but DH's tolerance level is very low right now for more running stuff! (Just bought a Orangemud HydraQuiver single barrel off a facebook group for $40!) :)

I'm on my 3rd. I started out with Runkeeper on my phone. Then I switched to the Garmin 220 since I wanted something more accurate. After a couple years I switched again to the Garmin 235 because I wanted something with a built in heart rate monitor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter