The Running Thread - 2018

@Dis5150 The question about the cleaning up after a run... I use shower pills too. It's definitely not as good as a real shower but works well for times you need a quick clean up. I generally use them post race/run when I'm going to brunch with running friends right afterward. For a clean up before work, I would say you probably need two.

Woohoo! Got a '$10 off every $50 dollars you spend' coupon from D1ck's. Just saved $30 on 2 pair of my beloved Brooks Ghost, in my favorite color: Boring Grey.

Got to love it, Brooks calls it: 'Primer Grey/Metallic Charcoal/Ebony'.

Life is good.

I’m a recent Ghost 10 convert (from Glycerins), but I rock the ‘Ebony/Metallic Charcoal/Electric Brooks Blue’ version!

BTW, if you have Omega Sports in your area they send out a lot of 20%, 25% and BOGO 50% coupons that they’ll honor for Brooks, even though it’s on their exclusions list.

Not running related post!

<snipped>

My only advice is to sit down and talk with your wife and discuss the importance of a joint decision and presenting a unified message to her mom. Beyond that it is hard without really knowing your family dynamic. My wife's parents were both dead before I even got a chance to meet them so in-law drama isn't something I really have to deal with so I have no more relevant advice.

As @LSUlakes had a late night and is hopefully finding a bit of peace this morning, I want to jump in with a Fun Friday Question because I love them and look forward to seeing what he has come up with each week - and I just can't wait any longer in my day to read some of your answers.

Question: Do you remember how old you were when you had your first Disney experience? What memory sticks in your head? Have you been with someone else when they first experienced that magic? Do you think any age for this experience is any better than another?

If we are talking about the parks it was when I was 13 and I instantly fell in love with WDW. My first memory is actually a bit before going. My best friend went the year before and we spent a few days going through his pictures, the souvenir photo book he bought, and his home videos. I was hooked before even stepping foot in the parks. As for the first real lasting memory of that trip it was the first day and taking the boat from the TTC to MK. I konw exactly what the "magic" that everyone talks about but can't really explain feels like.

If we are talking fist Disney memory at all it would probably have to be renting Disney shorts on VHS. I'm not sure that is exactly what they were called back then but it was a VHS with 10 or so short clips like Goofy going camping. We watched a lot of those as kids.

QOTD: Yesterday a sport legend for LSU fans passed away at the age of 80. His name is Billy Cannon, and for anyone who cheered for the purple and gold he is known for winning a national title, his famous Halloween run against Ole Miss, and our only Heisman winner. He could also run 100 meters in less than 10 seconds. Todays question is, do you get inspiration from athletes that are not really runners, but are inspiring to you in one way or another?

I think there are a lot of inspirational stores in both sports and life but they don't really push me. I have always felt inspiration, motivation, drive, whatever you choose to call it has to come from within for it to really push you to be your best. I do find stories of people overcoming illness or lost limbs inspirational but more in the "be grateful for what you have" as opposed to pushing me to do more or be better. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that right.

Another random question, sorry! Today I tried to be a morning runner, due to thunderstorms this afternoon in the forecast. The run was fine, great actually as it wasn't an oven outside, but we have no showers at work so I had to do a "sink sponge bath". Just wondering if there are any good "shower/bath wipes"? I think I have heard of them before, lol. I used some kleenex wipes and they were ok but left me "sticky". :confused3

I would love to be able to run more in the mornings this summer. Don't even get me started on dry shampoo though! First time user, lol. :)

My first question is why not run before leaving for work so you can shower? That is what I do on the extremely rare occasion I run in the morning before work. Another option is if you have a gym or rec center near work you can join not only for the equipment, track, pool, etc but for the showers. I'm currently back in school for my MBA and I joined my college's rec just for the pool and showers. I have done a few runs between work and class and then just used the shower.

If none of that works and going right from run to work is your only option I would look into Epic Wipes Shower On the Go or these if you want something a little smaller. I have no tried either myself but will be getting the Shower On the Go wipes to keep in the car for when I'm not coming right home after a race.

Woohoo! Got a '$10 off every $50 dollars you spend' coupon from D1ck's. Just saved $30 on 2 pair of my beloved Brooks Ghost, in my favorite color: Boring Grey.

Got to love it, Brooks calls it: 'Primer Grey/Metallic Charcoal/Ebony'.

Life is good.
So I went to go grab a pair of Brooks and they came in at $99.99 so they would only give me $10 off because of ONE penny. Grrrrrr...

I get inspiration from Justify the Horse. He has had to run in crappy weather two races in a row now. I hope he wins the triple crown.

I’m with you - but he’s gonna have his work cut out for him at Belmont. He almost got caught on Saturday by a late-breaking Bravaso, and the show horse Tenfold was right there too.

Mile and a Half will be hard for him since he really likes to lead from the break. We’ll see!

So I went to go grab a pair of Brooks and they came in at $99.99 so they would only give me $10 off because of ONE penny. Grrrrrr...

If it's not too late: just add something cheap to your cart. Oddly enough, fishing lures were the cheapest thing I found (<$2.00)

My first question is why not run before leaving for work so you can shower? That is what I do on the extremely rare occasion I run in the morning before work. Another option is if you have a gym or rec center near work you can join not only for the equipment, track, pool, etc but for the showers. I'm currently back in school for my MBA and I joined my college's rec just for the pool and showers. I have done a few runs between work and class and then just used the shower.

If none of that works and going right from run to work is your only option I would look into Epic Wipes Shower On the Go or these if you want something a little smaller. I have no tried either myself but will be getting the Shower On the Go wipes to keep in the car for when I'm not coming right home after a race.

I live in a very rural area and my house is way out in the country. One lane, blind corners, no shoulders, no streetlights, wild animals and people drive way too fast. I used to run out there and had to jump in the ditch way more times than I can count. So DH doesn't want me running out there anymore. And my work is in another rural area. We have one gym in our little town and it is the opposite direction from my work. We have a couple colleges (which I find strange for a town of 10,000 people!) and they are both further away than the gym. We have a "wellness center" here at work with treadmills, elipticals, bikes, weights, etc. but no showers as they are mainly for our residents (I work in a residential center for developmentally disabled adults) and they have showers in their residences. Not something I have access to.

So I usually just run after work then go home to shower. And I usually just deal with the heat. But lightning storms are messing with my schedule! Thanks for your suggestions though! :)

QOTD: With the long weekend coming up (Memorial Day) does anyone have any special plans? If you are off of work Monday, do you take advantage of it to do a run you normally would not be able to do on a Monday?

ATTQOTD: We have plans this weekend which are going to make running difficult and Monday DW is working, so I may get the kiddos on the BoB for a little run around the lakes on campus. Havent looked at the weather yet this morning, but I think we are expecting a lot of rain, and perhaps a tropical system of some sort. Off the the weather web site for model runs!

ATTQOTD: Sometimes I attend a military ceremony at the cemetery where my dad is buried (he retired military) but nothing really big planned. I do plan on sneaking in an extra run Monday morning if I can get up early enough to avoid the parade. Other than that maybe a cookout and my daughter's girl scout bridging ceremony.

Catching up:
- first memory: not sure, but my first vivid memory is my dad dropping me and my best friend off at Disneyland when we were in maybe 3rd grade. I loved running around with no adult supervision!

- hair: I have long hair I wear in a low pony tail.

- inspiration: pretty much anyone on the Bryant Gumbel HBO sports show. Lol! Serena Williams winning the Australian Open at 8 weeks pregnant was amazing.

QOTD: With the long weekend coming up (Memorial Day) does anyone have any special plans? If you are off of work Monday, do you take advantage of it to do a run you normally would not be able to do on a Monday?
ATTQOTD: SLEEEEEEEEEP!!! Hoping to catch up on a bunch of that. Stanley Cup playoffs are killing my sleep needs. #GoBolts I'll do my usual Monday short run, but probably in the morning instead of evening. Also, yes - rain.

ATTQOTD (Yesterday): I love the inspirational stories they show on College Gameday. Those are always motivating to me and some of them are absolutely amazing.

ATTQOTD (Today): This weekend is Run Across Georgia. I'll leave Friday at noon for Savannah and our team starts our run Saturday morning at 4:00AM. We will get back to Columbus around 4:30PM on Sunday. The weather is not looking the best, so any good vibes you can send our way would be appreciated!

ATTQOTD: Lots of rain predicted in VA too. Friday should be nice, but we're going to see Solo in the afternoon. Maybe go have dinner somewhere on the water before the rain picks back up Saturday. Probably just stay inside and take care of boring house stuff I've been putting off. I had planned some miles but if it's raining too much I probably won't go. I don't have a race until July 4th, so a little break sounds nice.

Memorial Day is a day off for both of us. I usually try to do a race one day over the weekend and this year it looks like it will be Saturday. We don't really have a tradition for Memorial Day but this is the first one with our son being old enough to enjoy a parade so maybe we will find one. Jimmy Buffett is here Sunday and that is what will take pretty much my whole day. We have a group of about 30 going so we have a big cookout before and then have a bus to and from the concert.

Right now I'm thinking Monday will be my first long ride of the year weather permitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter