The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very excited for this poll... obviously I need more in my life right now 🤣

I’m in the recommend for guests, required for CMs boat BUT I think it will only be required for some CMs (like those working food service) not all CMs.

All cast members that interact with guests. There needs to be a least one viral barrier between the two.

And now that my thread has been moved to where I apparently should have started it I can see that there ARE other mask threads! I've never been on this part of the DIS before.

The problem is that you may not know that you are sick. There are a large amount of asymptomatic carriers of COVID. That’s why it spreads so easily.
There are still ways in which to
I responded above why masks reduce risk even if you touch them. You may be confusing COVID PPE N95 masks, which are designed to protect the wearer from exposure, with surgical or cloth masks, which protect the surrounding people from the mask wearer's respiratory droplets. That is why it is ok if you touch them and simply wash your hands. No one is recommending gloves in the park for guests and you are correct that gloves are no more sanitary than hands. And I am not sure what you mean about doctors and nurses. At this point they are ALL wearing masks.
My point about Doctors and Nurses is that nurses remove the doctors masks for them and then throw them away. What people are wearing are reusable. Covid 19 droplets are heavy and can't fly so distancing is just fine. And if you cough or sneeze arent you already covering your mouth when you do it? I think that's way more effective then a pocket sized piece of fabric over your face. I'd rather cough or sneeze into my inner arm than to blow it all over fabric on my face. I would rather cover my mouth or nose or use a tissue then throw the tissue away and wash my hands. I think its gross to see someone pull out a handkerchief and blow snot into it then place it back in thier pocket. And then it's not gross to sneeze or cough into a face mask? A cough has force and cloth won't help but, covering your face will be more effective.

I am just saying these things as valid points on why I don't think Disney will force guests to wear masks. The only reason they would os if it would be effective and it won't. Not with everyone touching everything and removing them.

I am talking about cloth masks. Not PPE N95 masks. I was explaining the difference in effectiveness and why it won't be necessary.

Last edited:
There are still ways in which to

My point about Doctors and Nurses is that nurses remove the doctors masks for them and then throw them away. What people are wearing are reusable. Covid 19 droplets are heavy and can't fly so distancing is just fine. And if you cough or sneeze arent you already covering your mouth when you do it? I think that's way more effective then a pocket sized piece of fabric over your face. I'd rather cough or sneeze into my inner arm than to blow it all over fabric on my face. I would rather cover my mouth or nose or use a tissue then throw the tissue away and wash my hands. I think its gross to see someone pull out a handkerchief and blow snot into it then place it back in thier pocket. And then it's not gross to sneeze or cough into a face mask? A cough has force and cloth won't help but, covering your face will be more effective.

I am just saying these things as valid points on why I don't think Disney will force guests to wear masks. The only reason they would os if it would be effective and it won't. Not with everyone touching everything and removing them.

I am talking about cloth masks. Not PPE N95 masks. I was explaining the difference in effectiveness and why it won't be necessary.
OK well as a medical provider I have never had a nurse remove my mask, and that certainly isn't happening in hospitals right now, so I don't see how that is relevant? There is also no point in addressing the other issues as they have already been addressed by multiple people including myself who is working directly with COVID patients and also has a degree in epidemiology and infectious disease transmission in addition to my medical degree. I understand your concerns but whether something is gross or not is not going to inform public policy.

OK well as a medical provider I have never had a nurse remove my mask, and that certainly isn't happening in hospitals right now, so I don't see how that is relevant? There is also no point in addressing the other issues as they have already been addressed by multiple people including myself who is working directly with COVID patients and also has a degree in epidemiology and infectious disease transmission in addition to my medical degree. I understand your concerns but whether something is gross or not is not going to inform public policy.

Wasnt this post thread about sharing your opinion on whether Disney would require face masks for CMs and/ or guests? I gave my opinion and based it on what my friends who are nurses hear have said and my friend who is a bio scientist has shared. She studies and tests infectious disease as well. In your opinion then you think cloth face masks work? And the way people are handling them is effective in preventing spread?

Last edited:
Wasnt this post thread about sharing your opinion on whether Disney would require face masks for CMs and/ or guests? I gave my opinion and based it on what my friends who are nurses here have said and my friend who is a bio scientist has shared. She studies and tests infectious disease as well. In your opinion then you think cloth face masks work? And the way people are handling them is effective in preventing spread? I am just curious because what people are wearing doesn't seem very sanitary if they arent throwing them away and keep touching them.

Wasnt this post thread about sharing your opinion on whether Disney would require face masks for CMs and/ or guests? I gave my opinion and based it on what my friends who are nurses here have said and my friend who is a bio scientist has shared. She studies and tests infectious disease as well. In your opinion then you think cloth face masks work? And the way people are handling them is effective in preventing spread? I am just curious because what people are wearing doesn't seem very sanitary if they arent throwing them away and keep touching them.

Please keep sharing your medical opinion.

I am still trying to figure out if wearing a facemask in the summer is feasible with the heat. For someone with asthma, I have enough difficulty breathing in A/C with them. Since Josh D'Amaro said they would be required it will be interesting to see how that works and for how long they do it.

I am still trying to figure out if wearing a facemask in the summer is feasible with the heat. For someone with asthma, I have enough difficulty breathing in A/C with them. Since Josh D'Amaro said they would be required it will be interesting to see how that works and for how long they do it.

Disney and higher ups have been quoted saying all sorts of things but nothing has been officially announced regarding face masks and procedures. They could be required but nothing is firm.

It's pretty common across Asia to wear a mask in public if you aren't feeling well or if pollution is bad. It's not out of their comfort zone like it is for most Americans.

This is a cultural difference that has been discussed in various news articles about how use of face mask was effective in bringing CV-19 under control in Asian countries/territories such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea. In Asian countries, it is viewed as everyone's civic duty to wear face masks both to protect self and others in a crowded environment, just like how we would wear our "I voted" sticker with pride. The thinking is if I'm unknowingly infected, then by wearing a mask I cut off or at least slow down the chain of spread.

Whereas in the U.S. either there is a stigma attached to the mask wearer or there is a strong sense of individualism that says "no one is going to tell me what to do."

In the poll, I voted for face masks for everyone, because I view it as a small personal sacrifice (yes, it's hot, uncomfortable, impersonal and not 100% scientifically proven to prevent spread) during these tough times when many people are facing far worse conditions health-wise or economically. And now, reading the latest about how 3 children in New York have died due to the mysterious inflammatory symptoms associated with CV-19, I feel like there is yet another vulnerable part of the community we need to protect. While much is still unknown about this latest development, the growing number of cases (over 70 children hospitalized just in New York alone) is concerning. The theory is that the virus instead of attacking the lungs of most adult patients, it is attacking the heart and the coronary arteries in patients from infants to teens leading to other organ failure.

With so many things that will change with a Disney visit going forward, wearing mask will just be another change that is not a big deal to me if it will help make cast members (and others) feel safer. Maybe more will get a even much better appreciation of cast members who have to suffer in their Pooh or Tigger costumes on 90 degree+ days!

Disney and higher ups have been quoted saying all sorts of things but nothing has been officially announced regarding face masks and procedures. They could be required but nothing is firm.
One site is reporting an email received that Josh said they would be required for cast and guests. I decided I won't try for this summer. Will wait til Dec.

For clarity for causal readers or those that don’t follow the details closely, Josh’s internal statement was about the Disney Springs phased reopening which basically says the same thing as what is on the Disney Springs info page: Disney Springs will begin to reopen in a way that incorporates enhanced safety measures, including increased cleaning procedures, the use of appropriate face coverings by both Cast Members and Guests, limited-contact Guest Services and additional safety training for Cast Members.

https://www.disneysprings.com/reopening/
While this may shed some light on policies for the eventual reopening of the theme parks, nothing has been announced yet.
That is what I also read, that it was for the opening of Disney Springs.

ok, has anyone thought about Disney Bounding and masks?? I was just looking at my Disney Bounding outfits in my wardrobe this morning and thinking I should probably look on Amazon for matching masks.

I'm thinking that masks will become the new ears, that people will be making them unique , and matching them with outfits.

Masks have not been recommended by my Government yet so right now its just optional and personal preference. However I told my mum a few days ago, if our Government make masks / face coverings mandatory for the different phases of reopening, there is no way in hell I am wearing the generic , plain same as everyone else masks. I will be wearing Disney masks and cute designs and will have eye make up.

I believe people with health conditions, that can’t wear face masks for health reasons, are exempt.

Last edited:
ok, has anyone thought about Disney Bounding and masks?? I was just looking at my Disney Bounding outfits in my wardrobe this morning and thinking I should probably look on Amazon for matching masks.

I'm thinking that masks will become the new ears, that people will be making them unique , and matching them with outfits.

Masks have not been recommended by my Government yet so right now its just optional and personal preference. However I told my mum a few days ago, if our Government make masks / face coverings mandatory for the different phases of reopening, there is no way in hell I am wearing the generic , plain same as everyone else masks. I will be wearing Disney masks and cute designs and will have eye make up.
What a great way to put some fun in it!

What a great way to put some fun in it!

thanks, the way I see it, masks are most likely going to a necessary for all most everything. Once restrictions are eased, I want to go back to things and be able to go places, and that will mean wearing masks. So instead of taking the woe is me, the sky is falling down view, Im going the opposite way and making them a fashion accessory.

Just wait, once the parks reopen, heck, even in a few days when Disney Springs starts opening, you can bet the Vloggers and Bloggers will be doing this. Disney will be using them as a way of making the masks acceptable and a normal thing. And you can bet that that I'm not the only one thinking about coordinating them with my Disney Bounding outfits.

On our first visit to the Tokyo parks more than 10 years ago, we brought back souvenir paper masks that were sold in kid sizes. They have character mouths and noses on them: Marie,Cheshire Cat, Chip and Dale. I'm sure Disney will be ramping up production on things like that and selling them like mad in the parks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter