The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
People keep getting reprimanded for going off-topic and talking about masks in other threads, and I know a lot of you are really, really tired of the great mask debate, so I thought I'd start a thread just for discussing masks. This way we're on topic and people who are tired of masks don't have to read it.

I for one am very interested because it is the only issue that would keep me away. I just can't see having an enjoyable time in the parks wearing a mask all day when I can barely tolerate one for 20 minutes in the grocery store. And a huge part of my fun is being able to see my kids smiles, so it would be a huge bummer to have us all appear more or less expressionless for the entire visit.

Based on what you've read, heard, cogitated or rationalized, what is your best guess regarding masks in the park?

Haha I accidentally posted it before it was done. Should be complete now, but let me know if there's an option anyone thinks needs to be here. This is my first time posting a poll.

Last edited:
I can't seem to delete the extra option about parks not opening for a long time, and they're not in the order I wanted, but hey.

Starting a poll is harder than I thought. I guess I better not start one about people's opinions about buffets.

I'm sure this thread will last long. Lol
Haha, it may not go well. But there are some threads that are still going strong that heavily derailed many times to the point that every time I logged in here I expected them to be closed, so maybe there's hope?

Without getting into the will-they-won’t-they debate, if they DO decide to require masks, I’m curious what will count as a mask.

There’s a big range from medically certified masks all the way down to simply requiring “face coverings”.

My guess is that they will be encouraged, not mandatory.

I don't think there is any way around this. Because a mask is simply not possible in all situations for all guests, which means you can make some sort of discrimination issue out of it. Eating, swimming, on certain attractions....all of those are times where wearing a mask is simply not possible. Unless WDW plans on opening without restaurants, pools, or rides...which of course won't happen.

Now, for employees/cast members I think they will be mandatory because you have the liability issues as an employer.

I'm sure this thread will last long. Lol

Doesn't have to be that way. Its a serious discussion that will almost certainly have to be had.

I don't think there is any way around this. Because a mask is simply not possible in all situations for all guests, which means you can make some sort of discrimination issue out of it. Eating, swimming, on certain attractions....all of those are times where wearing a mask is simply not possible. Unless WDW plans on opening without restaurants, pools, or rides...which of course won't happen.

Now, for employees/cast members I think they will be mandatory because you have the liability issues as an employer.

Doesn't have to be that way. Its a serious discussion that will almost certainly have to be had.
I don't think the discussion "has to be had". We don't know whether or not Disney will require or even enforce it, and whatever they do, that's how it is. Our discussion here isn't going to influence them.

Just my 2 cents and I work in public safety. If masks are required and many businesses have started mandating now, then why clothe masks and handkerchiefs, why not an N95 mask? If clothe masks are OK and have any protection, then why don't doctors and nurses use them?

Just my 2 cents and I work in public safety. If masks are required and many businesses have started mandating now, then why clothe masks and handkerchiefs, why not an N95 mask? If clothe masks are OK and have any protection, then why don't doctors and nurses use them?
To answer your question, we ARE using alternative masks (surgical, copper, cloth) around the hospital and when dealing with COVID negative patients. We have to get up close and personal with COVID patients and we are wearing N95s then. I would hope you are not getting in the face of strangers and having them cough on you at Disney like I am in the COVID ICU. But if they DID cough on you, you will at least be exposed to a lower viral load then if they are not wearing any mouth covering at all.

Got what will be a vastly unpopular hot take coming here. But its because its all nonsense. Just to make people feel better and feel safer.

No different then a place (like my gym does) taking your Temp when you come in. (Thats not going to catch a potential asymptomatic person from spreading it but it makes people feel better)
No different then a grocery store having one way aisles. People pass each other and such just like normal.

I know COVID is an issue. And if you are elderly or have preexisting conditions then you need to take steps to protect your. But so much of what is going on here is so laughable.
Next time youre in a store do me a favor and watch how often people WITH MASK touch their mask/Face/move their mask. Yeah that really helped Karen good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter