The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, people are losing their minds over the whole mask issue and what Bob Chapek said today. Are people really that blind to all the social cues over the last few weeks, that they thought oh Disney would never make you wear a mask like they do in at the grocery store???

Its just really interesting to see the huge backlash on here, I can't get my head around it. It like people think all this will be over in a few weeks and Disney will go back to the way it was before Covid 19.

I just can't believe that the wearing of masks in Disney is such a deal breaker for so many people. Is every one really going to just not going to something they obviously enjoy just because of the facemask??

Some people in CO apparently haven’t even noticed that there is something called the coronavirus going around. Mask? What is that?
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/10/castle-rock-cc-coffee-reopens-coronavirus/

I’m confident this is something they will soon realize can’t be enforced. There’s too many factors involved that prove it makes no sense. Besides the obvious reason of heat and people passing out, here are more reasons I think it won’t make ANY sense:
1) people won’t have the correct masks
2) people won’t wear their masks correctly
3) kids will pull off their masks constantly
4) wearing masks on rides. Picture Space Mountain. Or any roller coaster for that matter. The person behind me is getting my air. You have masks flying off on roller coasters, or if you’re a screamer you’ll be suffocating with that mask on.
5) dining. You obviously can’t eat with a mask on. You’re server still has to bring you your meal right?
6) bars. Sitting at a bar with a mask on?
7) losing your mask. Will they provide you with a new mask? Or will you be forced to buy another one? If not, will they ask you to leave?
8) then there is liability with people passing out in the heat of summer with a mask. They better have those paramedic trucks lined up outside the park because they will be carrying people away in droves.

I’m not worried about it, and I am going in August. I am confident they will come to see It is an impossible requirement to enforce!!!
The only one on your list that would allow for no mask would be dining, of course. Not sure why you think it's not enforceable. It is totally enforceable. And again, as many have already stated - if you feel you can't wear a mask at Disney, than wait until they recovery phases reach a point where they are no longer required. It's a choice. If going to Disney during a "phase 1" opening requires a mask, then people have a choice. Because if other guests are going with the expectation that everyone is wearing masks, then Disney has a responsibility to those folks to make sure the policy is followed. I expect there will be some people who don't return if they have to wear a mask. I also expect there are many who wouldn't return right now if masks were NOT mandatory - just like they are in many grocery stores and food pick-up places and public transportation. It's a very unusual time right now - and if we do this right, the impact will be very temporary.

OMG, people are losing their minds over the whole mask issue and what Bob Chapek said today. Are people really that blind to all the social cues over the last few weeks, that they thought oh Disney would never make you wear a mask like they do in at the grocery store???

Its just really interesting to see the huge backlash on here, I can't get my head around it. It like people think all this will be over in a few weeks and Disney will go back to the way it was before Covid 19.

I just can't believe that the wearing of masks in Disney is such a deal breaker for so many people. Is every one really going to just not going to something they obviously enjoy just because of the facemask??
For my familty, wearing masks all day while on vacation in a hot and humid place like Disney would be miserable, and that is not what we want from vacation. We would not enjoy the trip due to the discomfort of the masks. We wear masks when we have to, but we don't want to wear them throughout vacation. Others say they won't have a problem wearing them, and I wish them the best time when they go.

It may be different for frequent visitors or APs, but if I’m looking at going either this year or next year (but not both), I’m going to weigh the pros and cons of delaying a trip.

Wearing a mask can affect the enjoyment of a trip, though it may not affect you personally.

I enjoy watching a movie, but if the sound is six seconds off I will probably not watch. I enjoy reading, but if every fifth page is reading I won’t finish the book. I enjoy going swimming, but if the water is freezing I’ll stay out.

Last edited:
I live in a state where masks are required. I’m a teacher- Looking into the future for reopening the state, it appears masks will be around and required for schools.

I totally get it. Will it be uncomfortable,sure. Will it be tough on my own children? Yes. But I also know what it’s like being around sick kids and adults all day. The amount of kids (and teachers) who are sent to school with coughs, fevers, on fever medication, etc is pretty high.

Personally I just feel this will be the new norm for awhile.

The only one on your list that would allow for no mask would be dining, of course. Not sure why you think it's not enforceable. It is totally enforceable. And again, as many have already stated - if you feel you can't wear a mask at Disney, than wait until they recovery phases reach a point where they are no longer required. It's a choice. If going to Disney during a "phase 1" opening requires a mask, then people have a choice. Because if other guests are going with the expectation that everyone is wearing masks, then Disney has a responsibility to those folks to make sure the policy is followed. I expect there will be some people who don't return if they have to wear a mask. I also expect there are many who wouldn't return right now if masks were NOT mandatory - just like they are in many grocery stores and food pick-up places and public transportation. It's a very unusual time right now - and if we do this right, the impact will be very temporary.
Ok but then you have people not wearing them right (not covering their nose) or wearing sheer scarves instead of masks! Lol! They need to specify the proper mask they will be enforcing. Otherwise what is the point?! people here in NY just need a “face covering” and most times it is a joke. My list is my common sense telling me these things are realistic factors and I’m not saying they can’t or won’t enforce it, all I’m saying is it makes ZERO sense!

I’m confident this is something they will soon realize can’t be enforced. There’s too many factors involved that prove it makes no sense. Besides the obvious reason of heat and people passing out, here are more reasons I think it won’t make ANY sense:
1) people won’t have the correct masks
2) people won’t wear their masks correctly
3) kids will pull off their masks constantly
4) wearing masks on rides. Picture Space Mountain. Or any roller coaster for that matter. The person behind me is getting my air. You have masks flying off on roller coasters, or if you’re a screamer you’ll be suffocating with that mask on.
5) dining. You obviously can’t eat with a mask on. You’re server still has to bring you your meal right?
6) bars. Sitting at a bar with a mask on?
7) losing your mask. Will they provide you with a new mask? Or will you be forced to buy another one? If not, will they ask you to leave?
8) then there is liability with people passing out in the heat of summer with a mask. They better have those paramedic trucks lined up outside the park because they will be carrying people away in droves.

I’m not worried about it, and I am going in August. I am confident they will come to see It is an impossible requirement to enforce!!!
It is weird that I am MORE inclined to be OK with wearing masks after reviewing this list? Think of it this way - have you ever gone to a ski area when it was below zero? I have - you put on a neck gator, or balaclava or neoprene mask and you keep going. If you don't do that your face freezes - or you are stuck in the lodge. People can breathe just fine and skiing is FAR more strenuous than walking around an amusement park. Yes, everyone is going to have to think it through and be committed to wearing the masks. if the mask is 1/2 way decent it's not going to fall off - you'd have to take it off. I would like to think you'll be able to remove the mask for eating and they'd only be required while in line or indoors, but if the rule is you wear it, then that's the rule. If the choice is between going and wearing a mask or cancelling the trip and sitting around the house all day like we have been for the last 2 months then it's about time we found some decent masks - just like when we go skiing.

Edit to add:
Funny how nobody is debating the social distacing. I know I took one look at the markings between guests in Shanghai and said, 'YES PLEASE!!" I want that space between us and the next stranger - it's about time!

It is weird that I am MORE inclined to be OK with wearing masks after reviewing this list? Think of it this way - have you ever gone to a ski area when it was below zero? I have - you put on a neck gator, or balaclava or neoprene mask and you keep going. If you don't do that your face freezes - or you are stuck in the lodge. People can breathe just fine and skiing is FAR more strenuous than walking around an amusement park. Yes, everyone is going to have to think it through and be committed to wearing the masks. if the mask is 1/2 way decent it's not going to fall off - you'd have to take it off. I would like to think you'll be able to remove the mask for eating and they'd only be required while in line or indoors, but if the rule is you wear it, then that's the rule. If the choice is between going and wearing a mask or cancelling the trip and sitting around the house all day like we have been for the last 2 months then it's about time we found some decent masks - just like when we go skiing.

Edit to add:
Funny how nobody is debating the social distacing. I know I took one look at the markings between guests in Shanghai and said, 'YES PLEASE!!" I want that space between us and the next stranger - it's about time!
I get what you’re saying, but there is a huge difference between wearing A covering to prevent your face from freezing (No brainer), and passing out from not being able to breathe in the heat. I agree 1000% with the distancing...I am all for it and looking forward to people not being up my a$$ in the Line! But that also brings another point...if everyone Keeps their distance, less reason for a mask!

Also, might I add, security will get super sick of chasing people down reenforcing the mask wearing! it will be like them telling their 4 year old the same thing over and over again :rotfl2:

I think that they will be strongly encouraged. They could even put a few disposable ones in the hotel rooms each day when they clean the rooms. (actually that would be quite smart!) They might even be cute/ themed masks that change themes daily or weekly. Knowing Disney they will make a mint on masks. lol! They could also encourage it by giving extra magic to those who wear masks- free fast passes, stickers, candy, etc. (Can you imagine if they gave ROTR fast passes or something for mask wearing guests?) If they took these measures I bet they could get most of the guests wearing them without mandating it. lol!

If the choice is between going and wearing a mask or cancelling the trip and sitting around the house all day like we have been for the last 2 months then it's about time we found some decent masks - just like when we go skiing.

:worship::worship::love:

This exactly

everyone should really be thankful that all they have to contend with is the mask issue. You are all in America. Myself and thousands around the world, all the international guests who all love Disney parks just as much as you would give ANYTHING to know that a visit to a Disney park will be possible in 2020. There are international travel bans right now and it looks like international travel will not be possible until at least August. And then when the international travel bans are lifted, travel to America wont be possible as international people will not be able to get medical insurance for Covid 19 medical treatment in America.

So even when the travel bans are lifted, even though I have the money, I will not be able to re schedule my cancelled June 2020 Disneyland trip until 2021!

I get what you’re saying, but there is a huge difference between wearing A covering to prevent your face from freezing (No brainer), and passing out from not being able to breathe in the heat. I agree 1000% with the distancing...I am all for it and looking forward to people not being up my a$$ in the Line! But that also brings another point...if everyone Keeps their distance, less reason for a mask!
Well, sure, and that's why I am hoping that the rule is relaxed while you are outside. BUT, again this is like skiing, while it would be more pleasant if it was 30 degrees warmer and you didn't need the mask, some ski trips are like that - you are just going to need a mask whenever you are on the slopes (or in this case, while you are in a park). Some people might be inclined to stay home on those days, I'm not one of those people.

Agree with you that skiing is much more strenuous than walking around an amusement park. I've always said it has to be one of the "highest maintenance" sports on the planet. Lots of clothing and equipment required, but also lots of fun.
But the last time I went skiing, it was 10 degrees with minus 10 wind chill, snow was falling in almost white-out conditions, and icicles were hanging from my mask. I definitely did not get hot. Now if Disney were located in a much cooler climate, I might be ok with wearing a mask. As I have said before, I hope everyone who goes has a great time.

Agree with you that skiing is much more strenuous than walking around an amusement park. I've always said it has to be one of the "highest maintenance" sports on the planet. Lots of clothing and equipment required, but also lots of fun.
But the last time I went skiing, it was 10 degrees with minus 10 wind chill, snow was falling in almost white-out conditions, and icicles were hanging from my mask. I definitely did not get hot. Now if Disney were located in a much cooler climate, I might be ok with wearing a mask. As I have said before, I hope everyone who goes has a great time.
The irony of course is ski areas are closed too. Ski lodges are a hotbed for spreading cold and flu so no real debate there. Sure do miss it though...

I'm also in the everyone needs to wear a mask category of your survey (for everyone's safety).

As a "front line" worker, I am required to wear a mask all day at work to protect myself, the people I work with and those that I come into contact with. I now buy my hand lotion in the XL jumbo size bottles because there is no moisture left in my skin from constant glove wearing and hand washing. Fingers crossed...knock wood...I'm staying healthy and hoping to stay that way.

The light at the end of this tunnel is our Disney vacation in late October...again fingers crossed, knock wood. I'll be bringing my masks to protect myself and others.

If masks are not mandatory at Disney opening, I hope that the Disney CM's are given N95 masks so they can properly protect themselves from those who "opt out" JMHO

you and me! I’m praying we can go in October. It’s just me and my healthy daughter going. I plan to wear masks. I wear them all day at work. It’s no big deal.
But! Are you worried they’ll require quarantine and you’ll be unable to go? If they require two weeks quarantine after travel I’ll have to cancel. Can’t afford that much time of for 3 days at Disney!

Think a lot of people are proving that theme parks need to stay closed until no mask are required... 5000 excuses why they won't be able to wear a mask. But still say if masks are needed the parks shouldn't be open. We'll find out in a few weeks.

I posted this over on the Rumors board, but wanted to share it here also.
I decided to call Disney’s Disability Services line and straight up ask them about mask requirements. Before I share what I was told, I want to clarify that 1. I know this is a phone CM, and that the information could be faulty, and 2. They told me I was one of many calling with similar questions. If they are answering everyone the way they answered me, and things don’t actually work this way, then I foresee issues at the park for many, which could create problems for a guest who thinks they have done their due diligence beforehand, only to find out they have false information.

I expressed my concern over my disabled child’s ability to wear a mask. I was told that whenever the parks reopen, accommodations WILL be made for those with disabilities of all ages. They emphasized it may read in a press release like it will be required of all guests, but that other more detailed information for those with disabilities would be posted somewhere. The process will be the same as it is now to receive a DAS - going to Guest Services. No more details on what exactly we’d need to do once there or how it works around the parks, as there is no official mask statement yet for parks. I then asked about DS, and was told I would need to go to Guest Services once there to explain the situation, but they didn’t have any more information on that yet, but they expect too soon.

Edited to add: Don’t have a trip planned, but thought it would be useful info for the near future.

Frankly, yes. Disney is an expensive vacation and the weather is hot and humid. My DH is a surgeon and is accustomed to wearing masks in the OR (which is kept quite cool so not like Orlando in June/July/Aug/Sept) and now wears one all day when seeing clinic patients. So to him masks=work where he's MAKING money, not spending thousands of dollars and being uncomfortable while wearing a mask. Also, we have plenty to do where we live that is cheaper and doesn't require masks (hence discomfort). So is it a deal breaker? Heck yes. There is only so much time and money for vacation and to me, vacation should be enjoyable and a respite from work-which, wearing a mask in the Orlando heat and humidity, is completely the opposite. Just one opinion here of course.

My son has asthma. A mask in that horrible heat would not work for him.
Honest question and I truly don’t mean any disrespect but would you even take your son to Disney with asthma? Seems like a big risk to me if there isnt a cure/vaccine readily available to take a child to a place with tons of people from all over the world coming and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter