That's IT! I'm done!!!

JodyTG

A new pair of shoes can change your life.
Sorry, guys, but I just need to vent for a bit and then you can all tell me, "I told you so."

Having been burned once before inviting a guest that backed out, I let my husband talk me into doing it again. This time, though, it was his parents. My husband invited them (with my permission of course :rotfl: ) to join us for our Christmas trip this year. They were all excited about the trip, and really wanted to go, so I booked a 2-bedroom villa so that they could come with us and have fun with their grandchildren. I waited until they were absolutely SURE that they were going to go before I did this. Now, just a few weeks later, his dad says that he can't make the trip in the car comfortably. He said that if we (not he) were willing to rent an RV for the trip down then it would be more comfortable for him since he'd be able to walk around whenever he wanted to. Well, THAT'S not going to happen. I'm not dropping an additional $2,000+ when our SUV should be fine.

So, since he won't fly and won't ride down with us in our Freestyle (lots of space and seating capacity) they are not going to go. We don't need a 2-bedroom for just the four of us so I was considering changing BACK to a 1-bedroom but we had to borrow 2008 points for the trip. We're going to take a cruise instead of visit WDW next Christmas so it didn't really hurt us to borrow them. But now I'm a little pissed since we could have BANKED the point into 2009 and taken a longer trip than usual. So, we'll probably just stay in the 2-bedroom with all that wasted space.

Well, thanks for listening guys. I just needed to get this off of my chest since I can't really gripe about it to my husband. He's upset, and angry, himself and I don't want to make him feel worse.

So, go ahead and say it. I'm ready to hear, "I told you so!!!"

Sorry you got burned Jody. That does suck. And it's why I have never extended an invite to my family members. NONE of them are reliable enough for me to risk wasting my precious points on them. Unreal how people think they are justified in giving us such crappy-@ss excuses.....I would be livid too. ((((((hugs))))))) for your aggravation!

Is there anyone else that you would like to take with you? Friends or other family that you would enjoy spending that time with? Maybe there's a way to salvage this so it isn't a waste of a 2 bedroom and still have a great vacation with some people you would enjoy!!

I'd tell the FIL that this cancellation is costing you money. Figure the difference in points between your one bedroom and 2 bedroom, figure them at $8 per point. Tell him that is what you are "out" because of his cancellation, then see if he offers to reimbuse you the difference. ;)

I don't go durning the busy seasons and I buy my plane tickets 11-9 months in advance so my rule of thumb is if you don't have a plane ticket I am not booking a bigger room... If you buy one and the room is available I will gladly have you if not......stay at the HOJO for all I care

I can understand how you feel.

We asked our friends to come with us to WDW and even gave them a studio for 5 nights at VWL. We were doing a Grand Gathering (GG) and they wanted to go. The wife seemed into it, but the husband didn't want to get into the planning and was lax in knowing the schedule or payment dates for the various vacation components.

After we got there, I asked the husband how he liked WL and he said, "Okay, I guess. I haven't seen much of it." I thought... "Duh. Doesn't everybody like WL?" He then wanted to cancel a dinner at LeCellier - LeCellier! We made the reservation for our now smaller party and I then canceled the final breakfast. I said, "Forget it."

They crammed in their two adult daughters into the studio after my DW told them that it would be cramped. I did not tell them that with the hotel tax, it would have cost them over $343 per night to book the room through Disney, not counting the two additional adults.

We are not on speaking terms much now, that is, I am not. DW still is. My DW has a strong case when she says, "Let's just us go and not invite anyone else."

The experience of having people come with us was disappointing, but the GG events were fun.

Oh, but you don't understand...they're "broke" and wouldn't have the money to reimburse us anything. (On a side not, they actually are very comfortable but there's no convincing them of that fact.) We were going to pay for the whole trip just so that his parent's could spend time with our kids. His dad doesn't think that he's in the best of health (it's a long story and you don't want me to go there) and won't be with us for much longer. My husband thinks that he's going to convince himself so well that he'll only be with us a few more years.

So that you don't think that I'm discounting his illness, he does have some health problems, but nothing that is dire or life threatening if taken care of. There are people with much more serious problems that haven't given up on life and are living it to the fullest...he just doesn't seem to want to.

But about taking friends instead...not going to happen. We always travel over Christmas and no one wants to leave their families at that time.

That's really a shame that that happened to you and I would be quite upset as well. I know it is hard, but maybe try to look at the extra space as a good thing, and not wasted space. You won't have to open and close the sleeper sofa in the living room and your kids will have their own bathroom, closet and drawer space, and they'll each have their own bed.

Or, is there availability for you to go back to a 1 bedroom and extend your stay?

Good luck and I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

Don't just keep the two bedroom for your own family. Ever since I did this I have been unwilling to stay in anything less! This warning goes double for the Grand Villas!:rotfl2: :thumbsup2

I'm not sure how far a drive it is for you from where you live, but for us it is a pretty consistent 9 1/2 hours, if we don't run into major traffic. We have 2 small kids so we are forced to stop about every 3 hours to give them a break.

We try to plan strategic points along the route that we then play up a bit to get them excited about the next waypoint. I don't know if this will work with an older man, but it may be worth a shot. It would satifsy you FIL's need to get up an move around and provide some means for him to track how long his "sit down time" will last.

It will drag out the trip by an hour or two but may help ease the pain of a long trip and restore your sanity :)

Why don't you try to get a 1 brdm for yourself and a stuido and try to rent the stuido...10-12 a point will make you feel a lot better.;)

BTW this is my biggest fear...I am considering taking out insurance that my parent's health will be an "issue" we have a March 08 trip planned, and if they cancel I don't know what I'll do(I have 3 stuidos booked).

Unless you borrowed all of the points for the 2 bedroom, there may be some points that you can bank in to the next UY, and take a shorter less stressful extra WDW trip next year.

Bobbi
:grouphug:

PS. My DMom who has always loved to travel, and is one of the reasons we bought into DVC has had a mental meltdown. She thinks she is poor, she things food that is properly cooked is not done and has thrown away perfectly good filet mignon. There are mental capacities that "go" and we have not the information to know all that goes on with the elderly. All may not be as you understand it.

That is too bad. I think alot of us have family like that. In our family, we have one rule. You fly or you don't go! Simple. There are people who will never go with us because of our rule and that's fine. I think I'll be in that same boat in August because we are planning a family vacation and I have 2 now, who are starting to make the excuses....no one to watch the dogs, no money, can't get off work. Mind you this has been in the works for a year. If they go, I'm sure I'll be paying their way (adult son and SO) and yes they all ready have their plane tickets, so will be expensive to cancel, but they are not too worried especially since I paid for the tickets!

BTW this is my biggest fear...I am considering taking out insurance that my parent's health will be an "issue" we have a March 08 trip planned, and if they cancel I don't know what I'll do(I have 3 stuidos booked).

That's one thing you can do. Also, if you have current UY points, use those to book their studio so if they cancel 31+ days out and you can bank the points, that's another thing.

We/DSis had 3 plane tix for DMom this year. Luckily USAirways is helping us out a bit, not charging full cancellation fee.:goodvibes As far as her room, she was sharing with DSis, who gets to invite someone or have studio to herself.

Bobbi:goodvibes

First , I decided to only get rooms large enough for people who ALREADY bought their own airfare. Although it wouldn't have worked for you since you are driving .

Second, I understand you borrowed points , could you do what I have done......change the ressie to a 1 bedroom and have them use the borrowed points first freeing up any current U/Y points to be banked if you are within your banking windows. You could use these points for a different trip later next year or add on to a trip for next year.

In any event , Good Luck and I hope you really get to relax on your vacation.

Currently I only book what I plan to use for myself. I have a two bedroom planned for this Nov /Dec (10 days) but also have 2 of my sister-in-laws joing us for the trip (making 7). If they would back out I still would be OK with the points I put out for the room. But.....:eek:

My wife is trying to talk me into making arrangements for 12 next year and this is exactly what I am fearing. We put out all the money (would need tp pull points together) and everyone else decides to do back out after arrangements are made since they have no cash impact if they do. They dont understand how borrrowing points is not like borrowing moeny you can just put back. I still dont know what i am going to do but will refer my wife to this thread for sure.

Trust me, you will LOVE the "extra wasted space"!!! We stayed in 2 bedrooms twice for just the 4 of us! It was incredible, the space you have, no cramped quarters, no waiting for bathrooms! Trust me, if your not point broke, then keep the room and enjoy it, who knows, maybe they will change their mind, but if not, enjoy the space!

I'm somewhat dreading a studio this Thursday with my son and neice! Its gonna be tight to my standards! but it will be fun!

I showed the in-laws the driving plan. We were leaving early in the morning and stopping every two hours for either 1/2 hour breaks or 1 hour meals. We were driving to Pensacola the first day to spend the night and driving the rest of the trip the second day arriving at WDW around noon. I even mapped out where we would be stopping each time. Also, I showed them were I had found a place to rent a scooter for him while we're there so that he wouldn't have to walk too much. A few weeks after telling us that they wanted to go, he just started coming up with one excuse after another why he can't

These are people that moved back down to Texas from New York a few years ago and had no problem with the drive. At that time, FIL had an aneurysm in his stomach that has since been removed. About 2 months ago, after giving FIL a complete checkup with bloodwork and everything, his doctor told him, with MIL in the room, that all he needs to do is start walking/exercising more and getting his weight off. He told him that once he did that he would feel 100% better...his back and legs wouldn't hurt as much and he'd feel like doing more stuff. He does have degenerative disc disease, but his doctor says that he shouldn't let that rule his life and to just get on with it.

We had everything all planned out since my husband really wanted the kids to be able to spend time with their grandparents before it's too late. THEY mentioned going to WDW to us, we didn't pressure them into it or anything. And THAT is the reason that I'm upset. Well, that, and the fact that I had a standard view 1-bedroom booked before we cancelled it and booked the 2-bedroom so that they could go with us.

Could you get your MIL to go? I know with my dad, if my mom says she's going somewhere,he can't stand to be alone,so he goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter