• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teacher Panhandles to raise money for school supplies

My point is that if teachers continue tk
o pay out of pocket, it will continue to be expected. If teachers and parents are OK with that, because it means their students get a better start, then that's fine, but then why are we complaining?

If we aren't ok with that (which I suspect from such passionate responses), then why are we continuing with business as usual? We can have the feels all we want, but administrators don't care about feelings, they care about numbers.

And the idea that teachers are paying for textbooks out of pocket is absurd to me. I get caring, but if the district doesn't see it as necessary, then that's on them. You have to take emotion out of it.

The districts DO care!!!! There is simply NOT enough funding for every classroom in subject in every campus in the school district to pay for brand new textbooks (enough for EVERY student in the ISD) every year.

Here's a Texas example:
Textbooks come up in "adoption" lists. Meaning that a Texas Education Agency selected group of people at the state level look through some books and decide if the book meets TEKS (what TEA says you MUST cover) for that course. If they say it does, the state will pay for those books. They may select a good book, they may not. I have an Ag Business class that I was begging for books for 3 years. Looking through all of the ones out there, one broke it down to a easy, real-world level
For the kids. TEA didn't feel it fit adoption list. I went through TEKS myself and could put page numbers to TEKS, but it doesn't matter what I see. Just what those committee members that may not even teach that subject (or teach at all see). So do I get a book that won't meet teacher and student needs because we can or do I find a way to get the books we CAN benefit from?

My point is that if teachers continue tk
o pay out of pocket, it will continue to be expected. If teachers and parents are OK with that, because it means their students get a better start, then that's fine, but then why are we complaining?

If we aren't ok with that (which I suspect from such passionate responses), then why are we continuing with business as usual? We can have the feels all we want, but administrators don't care about feelings, they care about numbers.

And the idea that teachers are paying for textbooks out of pocket is absurd to me. I get caring, but if the district doesn't see it as necessary, then that's on them. You have to take emotion out of it.

So there are schools filled with students who do not have anyone that loves them. They are raised by great grandparents or fosters or completely emotionally deficient people who do not care for them properly. Not one kid in a class. HUNDREDS of kids in one school.
If those teachers do not teach them how to act and participate in society, then no one will. You may be thinking that it's fine by you because you'll be loving and teaching your kids, which you should be doing. However, one day your children may be out and about and run into these children- or worse yet, they may come to your neighborhood. At that point you better hope that these children have been taught how to act in society or it could be bad news for your kids.

The only people in their lives teaching them these things are teachers for many of them. Our students come to school to be loved and cared for. If teachers tell them that they aren't worth basic supplies, they will never achieve anything. We will just be pushing out a generation of criminals and government dependentd at that point. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

The districts DO care!!!! There is simply NOT enough funding for every classroom in subject in every campus in the school district to pay for brand new textbooks (enough for EVERY student in the ISD) every year.

Here's a Texas example:
Textbooks come up in "adoption" lists. Meaning that a Texas Education Agency selected group of people at the state level look through some books and decide if the book meets TEKS (what TEA says you MUST cover) for that course. If they say it does, the state will pay for those books. They may select a good book, they may not. I have an Ag Business class that I was begging for books for 3 years. Looking through all of the ones out there, one broke it down to a easy, real-world level
For the kids. TEA didn't feel it fit adoption list. I went through TEKS myself and could put page numbers to TEKS, but it doesn't matter what I see. Just what those committee members that may not even teach that subject (or teach at all see). So do I get a book that won't meet teacher and student needs because we can or do I find a way to get the books we CAN benefit from?

How much money has your superintendent, principal, or VP paid out of their salaries to fund those class supplies?

How much money has your superintendent, principal, or VP paid out of their salaries to fund those class supplies?
Our admin has actually bought clothing and food for students in need, paid college application or AP testing fees, supplied coffee and snacks for staff meetings, etc. Supported fundraisers by buying whatever it is the kids are selling. not to mention that they were all teachers at one point so they bought supplies for their own classes for years. I guess I'm lucky to work in a district where admin chips in and helps wherever needed and supports teachers and students. It's not like our admin are a bunch of data crunchers trying to screw us over or taking their fat paychecks home and laughing at the rest of us. That's not how it works at all.

All due respect, Happyinwonerland--you don't know what you don't know. I have lived in school districts where the principal pays for school supplies. They don't typically advertise.

I also think you've got no clue as to (a) what school supplies cost, and (b) what some children have to deal with at home.

As to the cost of supplies, my kids needed a graphing calculator in HS (which they brought to college, so one per child). I got it for $94 plus tax in Walmart. That's one item. Obviously, the most expensive, but having to buy pricey supplies isn't unusual, and even the cheap stuff, like pencils, can add up.

As far as what kids deal with at home--some parents can't afford even $5 for pencils and crayons. Some parents can't help with homework, either because they're too overworked or don't comprehend the material themselves. Some parents are just lazy jerks. In any of those cases, you can't take it out on the child. The school is frequently the only thing standing between these children and the abyss of lifetime poverty and ignorance.

All due respect, Happyinwonerland--you don't know what you don't know. I have lived in school districts where the principal pays for school supplies. They don't typically advertise.

I also think you've got no clue as to (a) what school supplies cost, and (b) what some children have to deal with at home.

As to the cost of supplies, my kids needed a graphing calculator in HS (which they brought to college, so one per child). I got it for $94 plus tax in Walmart. That's one item. Obviously, the most expensive, but having to buy pricey supplies isn't unusual, and even the cheap stuff, like pencils, can add up.

As far as what kids deal with at home--some parents can't afford even $5 for pencils and crayons. Some parents can't help with homework, either because they're too overworked or don't comprehend the material themselves. Some parents are just lazy jerks. In any of those cases, you can't take it out on the child. The school is frequently the only thing standing between these children and the abyss of lifetime poverty and ignorance.
Perfect :worship:

My mother as a Chicago public school principal would spend thousands per year of her own money.
Kids limping because their shoes are too tight would get new shoes, girls would get feminine hygiene products, clothes, backpacks, food, money for field trips etc. Then school supplies - calculators, batteries, paper, pencils - yes she would shop all the sales but when you have 1200 students it becomes expensive.

No way would she let her school fail if it was in her power to help.

5 pages and I STILL haven't seen an argument for what, exactly, is costing thousands of dollars.

Bean bag chairs? No kid ever suffered because their classroom was missing a bean bag chait.

The first year I taught, my DH & I joked that I really wasn't getting paid - it felt like my entire monthly salary was basically going to the next month's needed supplies.

Even after my first year, at the end of each month, I would go out & spend $100-$200 for the next month.

No, students, don't need bean bag chairs, but they also don't learn very well in an empty, sterile room either.

At my school, we were fortunate & didn't have to pay for the textbooks, & limited office-type supplies were also available (dry erase markers, sticky note pads, pens, staples, tape, copy paper, etc.) - provided we didn't take advantage of them. We had to sign for everything we got out of the supply closet & every time we used the copy machine.

However, everything else I used in my classroom was supplied by me - special grip pencils, the bulletin board materials/decorations (which I changed monthly), learning centers, wall posters, visuals, general learning aids, all the books for the reading center, art supplies, supplies for experiments, math aids (plastic money, pretend clocks, geometric shapes, a balance, sorting/counting manipulatives, etc.), language arts aids (phonics cards, sentence strips, pocket boards, etc.), a globe, maps, stickers, rewards/prizes, reading certificates, puzzles, anything that I need for classroom organization (trays, labels, take-home folders, etc.), personal desk supplies (trays, folders, stapler, tape dispenser, hole punch, etc.), printer ink (so MUCH printer ink!), sticky-tack (to attach all the things to the cement walls), classroom idea books, etc.

From my students, at the beginning of each year, I asked for one pack of construction paper, crayons, glue sticks, scissors, & a small bottle of antibacterial gel. The construction paper was for general classroom use; everything else was kept in personal supply boxes at the tables. I also asked for one box of tissues per student & one box of gallon-sized Ziplock bags per student.

Every time we did any kind of craft or activity, I supplied the materials - markers, posterboard, velcro, cotton balls, colored sand, colored sidewalk chalk, pinecones, stencils, stamps, little bells, wooden dowels, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, feathers, paint, paint brushes, liquid glue, yarn, etc. When we planted seeds, I supplied the seeds & the dirt & the containers. When we baked apple pies in September, I supplied the apples, the dough, the butter, & the cinnamon & sugar & made a chef's hat for each student. When we made spaghetti art or popped popcorn for various activities, I supplied the spaghetti & the popcorn. For our 100th Day Celebration - 100 stickers per student, 100 pieces of cereal per student, ribbon for each student.

There was another teacher, & our classes met together for music. She supplied all the musical instruments for the students (rhythm sticks, drums, shakers, etc.).

It adds up.

And, again, I was fortunate to be in a school where the textbooks & some office-type supplies were provided. I know other teachers who have to provide their own copy paper to make copies of tests & quizzes & handouts & textbook pages since there aren't enough textbooks.

And, no, teachers don't exactly enjoy spending so much of their own money to provide for their students & their classrooms; however, it's what they do because they're dedicated to their students & want to provide a quality learning environment for their students.

They also realize the funding just isn't there for all the different items & supplies that each teacher needs in his/her classroom. Schools barely have enough funding as it is - there is NO extra money to be distributed to teachers for their classrooms' personal use.

Education is not like healthcare.

And, if teachers suddenly decided, "Hey, we aren't going to use our own money any more," the money still wouldn't magically be there & the students would suffer.

Last edited:

Kind of a ridiculous question. There are plenty of admin that do contribute but seriously, my dad is a civil engineer department supervisor and the state would never ever tell him that he had pay for job supplies or travel for himself or his workers out of his own salary. Just wouldn't happen. Why would you expect a school admin to do so? That's absurd.

A good principal or superintendent is worth their weight in gold. It takes a specific level of education and skill set. You couldn't pay me enough to take on that responsibility. There are certainly incompetent admin who don't deserve their paycheck but you could say that about people in any field.

Scissors, paper, printer ink, marks, etc. should be coverd in the oft-quoted $200 annual budget. I can go to dollar tree and get 20 pairs of scissors for $10 (2 to a pack), staples and office depot have amazing deals on copy paper making it essentially free, markers are $1.00 per 10 pack. Not to mention most of these things are on school supply lists, inculding copy paper, so thrnparent shojld be covering most of it.

Again, nobody has been able to show me where the hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars out of pocket annual expense comes from.

My ds is a high school math teacher. In our district, school supply lists are only for elementary through middle school. Our high school doesn't allow teachers to give a supply list. He's lucky if students bring their own pencils and notebooks. And yes, we live in a middle class area. He (we) spends money out of his (our) pocket for things like graphing calculators, pencils, notebooks, etc. As a math teacher, he needs to use the board most of his class time - he teaches almost every period of the day. Our classrooms have white boards, not chalkboards. The district gives him a set of dry erase markers at the start of the year. He uses that set up almost immediately. He then has to purchase his own or he can't write on the whiteboards. I could go on, but that's an idea.

But see, this is exactly the problem! Test scored shouldn't have to go down for the higher ups to care.

But sadly they do. The government isn't going to fix a problem they don't think they have. Teachers can complain until they are blue in the face but if teachers continue to solve the problem for them they have no motivation to change.

However, teacher evaluations are directly tied to high stakes testing, as well as the budget of the school. So when test scores go down, there is LESS money given to the schools; therefore the budget DECREASES. Politicians don't look at a school with low scores (which typically come from areas where there's not a lot of tax revenue coming in due to high poverty levels) and say "It looks like they need more help, let's give them more resources." Instead, the school budget is stripped further and teachers are told to do even more with even less.

It would require a collective decision by all teachers to stop paying out of their own pocket.

And what I'm saying is that by continuing with the way things are, nothing is ever going to change.

You don't buy the cow when you get the milk for free.

Finally, why should the children from low-income homes receive an education that doesn't have the resources a child from middle or upper class children receive? If they all have to take the same tests, shouldn't the playing field be equal? (this is a rhetorical question people)

Interesting it works in reverse here in NZ, schools are on a decile system, rated on various socio economic factors, house prices, #of people on welfare etc. A decline 10 school is the "richest" and a decline 1 the "poorest"
A decline 1 school gets significantly more funding than a 10 despite the fact that decline 10 families pay more in income and property tax.
It is believed that the decline 10 schools can fundraise the difference, not something that always happens because many parents protest this fact.
And the schools that often end the worst off are the decline 5s who have neither the funding they need or the parents to make up the shortfall

And, if teachers suddenly decided, "Hey, we aren't going to use our own money any more," the money still wouldn't magically be there & the students would suffer.

Would it be there right away? No.
Would it lead to being there? Likely, at least more likely than it is now.

I think @Happyinwonerland is really being attacked here for saying the same thing I did right at the start of this thread.

I think it sucks that teachers are being underpaid and overworked, I think it is terrible that they are purchasing school supplies out of that small salary.
I think that teachers are doing their best with what they have got and that people that have gone into and stayed in this profession truely care about the kids and that is wonderful, and that is why I think posters seem to be taking such offenders to the idea that is being suggested that you "let these kids down"
However you are propping up a broken system. Nothing will change as long as you do this.
You need to let parents, taxpayers and lawmakers see how dire the situation is. Lawmakers are counting on guilting you into doing this.
But it is going to lead to further issues down the line where another group of children is going to end up even worse off. People will stop wanting to become teachers and hen what?
If all teachers did this collectively the children would remain in an even standing with each other, your performance reviews would stay comparable and you would think in an interview you would be given the chance to explain that your poor review came from not having resources to meet the standards.

If all teachers did this collectively the children would remain in an even standing with each other, your performance reviews would stay comparable and you would think in an interview you would be given the chance to explain that your poor review came from not having resources to meet the standards.[/QUOTE]

All children would not remain on an even standing. Not even close. I teach in one of the poorest districts in the country. My students are already multiple grade levels behind their wealthier counterparts. Do you really think that if teachers in my district stopped buying supplies and teachers in a wealthier district stopped buying supplies that our scores would drop at the same rate? My students have to pass a state test in my subject to graduate. If I let scores fall just to prove a point about supplies, that means my kids don't graduate. My state changed graduation tests last year. We already had low scores and now they are even lower. Each time our scores fall, we LOSE money because the government mandates we jump through hoop x, y and z in order to reduce the threat that we will be taken over by the state. Scores all over the state fell when they changed tests. At no point during the discussion of falling test scores has the state said "Here, we know you need more money to buy the supplies to help increase your scores". We are in a situation where 1/3 of the upcoming seniors in the state are in danger of not graduating because they haven't passed the new tests. There has been a lot of discussion at the state level about how to fix this. None of the solutions involve giving districts more money whether it's to buy supplies and books or reduce class sizes. At no point have they acknowledged all of the other issues that contribute to low test scores, like poor attendance and large populations of transient students. Instead, the state decided that all state testing would be done on computers. All of the money that usually goes to buying some basic supplies went to updating and repairing computers and making sure we had enough bandwidth to allow several classes to test at the same time. Do you think the government cared that we couldn't afford it?

As for performance reviews staying the same, that doesn't work either. My evaluation is based half on classroom observations and half on how my students perform on the state test. I'm able to stay at an effective rating because I score well on my classroom observations and that offsets my less than stellar test scores. If my scores dropped, so would my rating. It doesn't matter how other teachers' students perform on the test. Even if everyone else's scores drop, I would still be rated ineffective and I don't trust a government that has already passed legislation to punish poor low performing districts financially to care about my classroom supplies.

Before anyone asks how I can both be rated effective and have low test scores, I should explain. The passage rate last year in my district for my subject was 32% and my personal passage rate was 67%. Low in my eyes and compared to surrounding suburban districts but high compared to most of my peers in the district. Also the state determines my success not based on how many students passed but on how many students did as expected. They predict a score based on performance on tests in lower grades and then compare the two. If my actual average score is higher than my predicted average score, then they consider that success. It is supposed to be helpful in situations where a student is say reading at a fourth grade level and the teacher is able to grow them to a seventh grade level but they still can't pass a tenth grade reading test. So far this has worked in my favor, but it is not without its problems. The final thing that allows me to be labeled effective is that within my passage rate as calculated by the district are 17 students who were transferred into my class from other schools within 45 days of the test. While their scores count for the districts overall passage rate, they do not count towards my evaluation because they were not in my class long enough. Because most of these students did not pass' the state test, it raises my passage rate to 76% which is comparable to nearby middle of the road suburban schools. I know this last paragraph was off topic, but I figured if I didn't address it now, I'd have to do it later anyway.

I'm thankful that so many teacher care about their "kids" and aren't just their for a paycheck.

This attitude is disheartening. Teachers deseve to be paid for their work, much more than what their current salaries are. Saying they should be there for the kids, not a paycheck, is part of the problem. Teachers have masters degrees. They have student loans, and mortgages, and families to feed. It may be a job that helps kids, but it is a job and should be paid for the level of education and expertise required.

I had heard about the woman panhandling, and have read through many, but not all, of the posts here. I am among the many that find it disheartening to know that many teachers buy supplies out of their own pockets. I would love to brag on my church just a bit. This year, for the third year in a row, our church did a teacher supply give-away. We put the ask to our congregation and get tons of donations of school supplies, books, room decor...you name it, if a teacher can use it, you'll find it. In addition to the donations, we run a fireworks stand every year and for all three years a big portion of our proceeds from that go to purchasing supplies. Then, on the day in question (it was actually today!), we open our door to hundreds of teachers who can come get supplies for free. This year they opened it up to 1,000 participants. I just love this outreach event!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter