Teacher Panhandles to raise money for school supplies

Mizzoufan

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure I could do this but more power to her. Teacher shouldn't have to spend their own money to get the essential for their classrooms.

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/okl...raise-money-school-supplies/story?id=48815271

An Oklahoma teacher frustrated by having to dig into her own pocket to pay for classroom supplies took to panhandling to get her point across.

Teresa Danks, 50, of Claremore, Oklahoma, has spent the summer shopping at garage sales and thrift stores to stock her third-grade classroom with supplies for next year. A conversation with her husband last week about the money she was spending on her classroom sparked a bigger idea.

“My husband and I were just talking that morning and he kind of jokingly said, ‘You could always make a sign and go on the corner like the panhandlers,’” Danks, a classroom teacher for the past 12 years, told ABC News. “I said, ‘You know what? I think I’m going to do that. That’s a great idea.’”

Danks, a teacher for Tulsa Public Schools, wrote on a poster board, “Teacher Needs School Supplies! Anything Helps.” She held the sign for about 10 minutes at a busy intersection and, despite her nerves, was shocked by the positive response

It just felt so scary,” she said of the moment. “But it was a wonderful feeling to hear people being so supportive of teachers.”

She added, “The one that choked me up the most was a girl in her 20s who said, ‘Teachers like you are the reason I’m alive today.’”

Danks -- who said she makes an annual salary of around $35,000 and spends nearly $2,000 of her own money each year on her classroom -- collected around $50 in cash. She posted a photo of herself on Facebook that went viral and drew the attention of a local news station.

When she went back out with her sign later that day with news cameras in tow, Danks, who described her elementary school students as mostly low-income, collected another $50.

“What started just for me to get supplies in my classroom and help my students has really grown much greater than myself,” said Danks, who has since started a GoFundMe page and a Facebook page titled “Begging for Education.”

Oklahoma has faced education budget cuts that even the Tulsa Public Schools superintendent, Deborah Gist, acknowledges. The cuts have forced some teachers to search for jobs elsewhere, she said.

“There are a lot of things we do to mitigate the costs [for teachers] but unfortunately it’s tough everywhere and it’s tough in Oklahoma especially,” Gist told ABC News. “I actually left the state about 30 years ago to teach in Texas for the same reason that many teachers leave Oklahoma to teach in other states now.”

She added, “What we’re trying to do is to make sure the awesome people who make the commitment to stay are having a wonderful experience. Of course we need to pay them more, but we also need to make sure they have the tools and resources they need to be successful.”

Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, said teachers across the U.S. anecdotally spend around $450 of their personal money each year on school supplies. Teachers in Oklahoma, however, spend "on the higher side" of that average, she said.

"It should shock and sadden us all that it has come down to a teacher having to go out on a street corner and ask for money so that the students in the classroom get what they need to succeed, but more power to her," said Priest, whose organization is Oklahoma's "largest professional organization for education professionals," according to its website. "Teachers have always bought supplies that they wanted to decorate their rooms but in Oklahoma within the last five years, with the funding cuts that we’ve taken, its things like textbooks and library books and graphing calculators."

Danks said the school supplies she pays for on her own include classroom staples like disinfectant wipes but also the extra items that will allow for hands-on projects and “excellence” in her classroom.

“If I’m doing something on the solar system, I’m wanting to build rocket ships with paper towel tubes or make planets with Styrofoam balls,” Danks said. “When you multiply that by 20 to 30 kids it gets expensive.”

Across the country teachers have gotten creative to help pay for classroom resources for their students, turning to sites like DonorsChoose.org. The nonprofit helps public school teachers request much-needed materials like books, technology, field trip experiences and more for students that can then be fulfilled through donations online. Teachers at 76 percent of public schools in America have posted projects on their platform, and requests worth up to $50 million have been fulfilled in 2017 alone, including $1 million in projects in Oklahoma. Of the 900,000 requests from teachers, more than half are for books and basic classroom supplies, according to the website.

Last year, Tulsa residents contributed to a multi-million dollar campaign that resulted in $279 given to each teacher for supplies, according to Gist, who applauds Danks’ efforts.

“I think what our teacher has done here is to [speak out] in a way that not only helps her with extra money for her classroom but makes a point,” Gist said. “She is getting to a really serious need and I think that’s a pretty smart thing to do.”

Danks describes being a teacher as “literally walking on a stage and performing all day” and said that requires “a lot of supplies.”

While she wants her message of better funding to ultimately reach legislators across the country, Danks hopes people will stop and think locally about what they can do to help teachers.

“What I hope they take away is that the education of our children is important to our future so it needs to be important to everyone,” she said. “I would say go to your local schools and find out what they need.”

She continued, “It could be as simple as getting them a bean bag chair or a border for their bulletin boards, but we need the community to help us step up and educate our children because they are our future leaders.”

Danks, whose GoFundMe page has raised nearly $13,000, announced today on "Good Morning America" that she is starting a foundation to "get supplies into the hands of teachers across America."

She was surprised on "GMA" with a $3,000 check for school supplies from coupon company RetailMeNot.

"I wanted to do something to make a difference," Danks said of her decision to hold a sign on the road. "I didn’t know it was going to make this big of a difference, but I’m glad it did."

This is why Donors Choose is one of my favorite charities. it's so fun to look through all the projects and support a specific teacher/classroom. I wish they had more support in general though and did not have to resort to these methods to get supplies that help make learning more stimulating.

For those that have it, the Dollar Tree has a fantastic supply of school supplies - for a dollar apiece. I urged my students to go with their parents and I tell them if they bring just $5 they can go wild. I buy a lot there to assist the students.

The truth is many teachers are spending their own money for supplies. Some supplies should be provided by the school system and some by the parents. The low cost of school supplies because of the various retail competitors should make the financial burden on some families easier. But the parents must get involve in their own child's education.

For those that have it, the Dollar Tree has a fantastic supply of school supplies - for a dollar apiece. I urged my students to go with their parents and I tell them if they bring just $5 they can go wild. I buy a lot there to assist the students.

The truth is many teachers are spending their own money for supplies. Some supplies should be provided by the school system and some by the parents. The low cost of school supplies because of the various retail competitors should make the financial burden on some families easier. But the parents must get involve in their own child's education.

As much as I agree with this in principle, what happens in reality to the children who don't have good parents? Those children suffer, and the cycle continues. While I'd love for every child to have parents who are involved in education, I also think education is too important to let those who don't have involved parents fall through the cracks. The moral and financial cost on society of ignoring that gap is too high IMHO.

I know here several of my teacher friends use their money to get extra pencils, crayons, glue, kleenex, germ X.They that are on school list that some parents just refuse to get or can't afford.

As much as I agree with this in principle, what happens in reality to the children who don't have good parents? Those children suffer, and the cycle continues. While I'd love for every child to have parents who are involved in education, I also think education is too important to let those who don't have involved parents fall through the cracks. The moral and financial cost on society of ignoring that gap is too high IMHO.

Which is why I buy supplies for the students. However, I do not hand quanties out to all of them at all times. I continue to demonstrate to the students the concept of responsibility, hard work, sacrifice, compassion and other such concepts not directly covered in the state testing. That they and their parents are equally involved in the education process as the teachers, administrators and others. What does some of that mean - show up to class prepared for the lessons which includes having paper and pencil.

In my area there a several Dollar Tree stores serving the various neighborhoods. In that we are lucky to have low cost source of supplies along with several of the largest retailers providing massive amounts of school supplies.

Still can't show up all the time prepared? We will help. At the same time will show how you can and will help your fellow students and why it is important for both them and yourself.

Last year I was given $100 by my school district to purchase school supplies for the year. As a science teacher I did not receive any of the school supplies that students purchased from their supply lists. I started with a few old crayons and random lab supplies. I had to beg the office for 30 pencils and a stack of notebook paper. All of the scissors, glue, pencils (the ones they gave me were gone in a week), lined paper, decorations, crayons, crayon caddies was purchased by me. The $100 that I was given was spent on a few posters for the classroom, dry erase board erasers and markers, and a pencil sharpener. I had to do this for both schools that I was at for the school year. I then had to restock as the year progressed and almost all lab supplies were out of my pocket too. DH anticipates that I spent $100 if not more! I put in requests for supplies but didn't get them. Needless to say when it was time to sign my contract for this school year I left. I wasn't paid enough to provide school supplies for close to 900 kids between two schools.

I have a good friend who is an art teacher. She spent over $2000 of her own money on supplies for her classroom. And it was all standard stuff, too, nothing fancy or unnecessary. Pencils, crayons, colored pencils, etc.

DD spent a lot of her own money on supplies.
They had limited supplies at school and it didn't last.
Added up to hundreds of dollars a year.

I stopped keeping track of how much I spend for my classroom years ago. I buy the typical pencils, paper, glue, etc that others purchase. However, since I teach instrumental music, I also have to buy reeds, rosin, valve oil, strings, and other supplies needed for those children whose parents won't or can't purchase the supplies for them. My DH is also a teacher. At this point we don't really want to know how much we spend!

Wow! I guess I'm fortunate to work in my district. We have a room full of supplies that we can pull from, including construction paper, copy paper, pens, pencils, paint, scissors, glue, erasers, papers clips, staples, etc. The supplies get replenished throughout the year, and there's a list where we can write what is running low and anything special that we need (within reason, of course). I work in a special ed classroom and we occasionally order toys or sensory supplies through our special ed department secretary. We have to keep it reasonable, but our class has never been denied anything we truly needed. A few times a year, we send out a wish list to our classroom parents. They bring us things like disinfecting wipes, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, liquid soap (our kids can't reach the wall dispenser so we ask for bottles), small art supplies like feathers, pom poms, tissue paper, etc. Our parents have always been very generous about donating supplies. Finally, our Home and School Club allocates a certain amount to each classroom for supplies or anything special we need to buy. Last year, each room had a budget of $300. We pay for the supplies upfront, turn in the receipts, and they reimburse us within about a week.

I taught a summer school class this summer and I was given an empty room at another school site with very few toys, puzzles and art supplies for my K-2 students. I spent $60 on a few things I needed and gave the receipt to our special ed director. I got a check in the mail last week from our County Office of Education. I guess this isn't normal in other districts? I should add that we pay quite a bit in property taxes which includes bonds for the schools. Our schools do a number of fund raisers each year to supply our classroom budgets. I'll consider myself lucky!

I have a good friend who is an art teacher. She spent over $2000 of her own money on supplies for her classroom. And it was all standard stuff, too, nothing fancy or unnecessary. Pencils, crayons, colored pencils, etc.
Yep. My best friend is an art teacher as well. She spends a ton especially with the special projects they do that require more than the usual crayons and markers.

$35k for a teacher that requires a college degree and a teacher certificate is outrageous. That is only $16.76 per hour. My daughter got her first job as a camp counselor and it paid $15.72. How does Oklahoma retain any of their teachers? Wouldn't they just bolt for another state?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter