• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting from scratch again

Where do you live? If close enough to me, you can come over, help me to through boxes of stuff, and maybe get some decent stuff to take home. Crockpot for sure.

dd just did a purge of household goods from her apartment and while doing it she happened upon a posting on her local town's facebook 'free and cheap' page wherein someone was just setting up their own place and asked if anyone had household goods they wanted to get rid of. dd met the person at the local safeway parking lot and they were thrilled to get several appliances and kitchenware.

op-see if your town has a local free and cheap page or a freecycle page.

Reactions: MEM
Oh, yeah, about furniture: don 't take anything upholstered from curbside. Examine any wood/polyurethane/etc furniture before bringing it into your home, curbside or not.

I was a sustainability nut before it was fashionable and love to buy what I need from yard sales, rummage sales, Facebook groups, Craig's List and certain thrift shops. If you "must" have new, then I also recommend IKEA. My daughter loves their square white dinnerware, drinking glasses, some textiles.

Another vote for Ikea, especially for kitchen/dining stuff.

I know it sounds weird, but Costco for towels and sheets. They have really awesome bath towels that go on sale for $5 pretty often (I think they're $8 normally), and decent king size sheet sets for $20 or $25. Way better quality than the cheap ones at Target or Ikea.
Not weird, at least, not anymore! I am amazed at the range of inventory Costco carries now. My picky daughter (22) and her boyfriend (27) rave about Kirkland clothes! My husband too! He hates to spend money but last Winter he bought five Kirkland flannel shirts.

Oh, yeah, about furniture: don 't take anything upholstered from curbside. Examine any wood/polyurethane/etc furniture before bringing it into your home, curbside or not.

I have heard of people having BIG issues with thrift store upholstered furniture - one word - BEDBUGS. That is one thing I will not ever consider in a thrift store. Actually have not seen anything curbside, but wouldn't ever consider that either.

Dollar Tree for a simple startup, however, if you have more than $1 to spend per item and want items that will actually last longer, I'd go to Aldi's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter