Starting from scratch again

Absolutely a yard or garage sale...the things people sell can be great or not so much....the person doesnt say their age or income so i am thinking funds maybe important...

Garage sales. My mom furnished my entire first apartment (studio loft) hitting these one Saturday. You wouldn't believe how cute my apartment was.

Reactions: MEM
For furniture, I’d see if your town has a used furniture store (if you’re just looking for a temporary setup). If it’s ugly, you can find couch and chair covers at Walmart, target, bed bath and beyond, etc.

Target has fairly cute stuff like bookshelves and tv stands and stuff that’s durable-ish. I’d be pickier about things I have to sit on than things that just hold stuff.

Last edited:

A few years ago I wanted to get a new curtain rod to hang tab curtains. At a local department store it was $40. I decided on a whim to check out a nearby thrift store and they had one, new in package, for $5.

Since then I've tried to check them out whenever I need to replace housewares. The thing I've learned is that non all thrift stores are created equal. Where I live Goodwill is rather overpriced, while the Salvation Army store is cheaper and the local church thrift store is by far the best deal (and cleanest).

+1 for Goodwill, yard sales, or other thrifty options. When I was an intern making $90/week and having to purchase little things to set up my furnished apartment (sheets, a lamp, a small bookcase, etc.), the charity thrift store across the street from work saved my budget for those first couple months. Or, if you've got the budget and want a one-stop shop, I love IKEA. (They even sent me an email to say thanks for coming in eight times this year...)

I do TJMAXX
Sometimes Bed bath and beyond is cheap and even better with the coupon! I only go there with a coupon!

I am always decluttering. If I had a friend who could use some of the items I donate, I would gladly give them away. Have you tried just reaching out to friends? That would be the least expensive and help them declutter in the process. I bet a simple Facebook post about price checking on xx type of items to set up your new place would generate people volunteering to dontate.

So, I'm moving into a new place and basically starting from scratch again. All I have is a bed and tv. What is the cheapest place to get things like dishes, silverware, glasses, bath towels, pots, pans....pretty much everything you need for a house. I'm thinking amazon, but does anyone have better suggestions?

if in proximity to anyone you know-anyone you know.

seriously, i don't know a single person who doesn't have household stuff they keep planning on weeding out, taking to goodwill....so spread the word and you may be surprised at what people offer up if you are willing to schlep it away for them.

beyond that-see if there's a 'freecycle' site b/c you can see what people are offering up for free as well as posting your own needs and responding to people who again, have stuff they've been meaning to weed out/take to goodwill....

dd is a huge fan of her local '_____________(name of city) free and cheap'-it's a site where people post stuff at or below garage sale prices, and if you're at or near a college town you can get STEALS from students whose well meaning family members bought them stuff to take to the dorms where their roommates already have the same (seriously-brand new appliances in the boxes for pennies on the dollar).

If you can hold off on some stuff, Black Friday deals can be great! Kohls will have toasters, griddles etc for $8 each. I did this the fall before I knew my kids were moving into an apartment in college. For Kohls you will need to make sure you print out the rebates on some things and mail it in but it is not that difficult.

If you post on FB that you need stuff, I bet you will get flooded. People have too much and downsize their stuff often. I took a bunch of kitchen stuff to goodwill recently. I would have gladly given it to someone who needed it. With the new tax system, I will not be able to deduct donations anymore anyway.

Back in the day when I was starting our family I joined Pampered Chef. I love their stuff. The starter package is well worth the price in what you get even if you decide you don't want to sell. As a consultant (or whatever they call themselves) you get 50% off. I have even thought about doing it again just so I can get more stoneware cheaper.

Back in the day when I was starting our family I joined Pampered Chef. I love their stuff. The starter package is well worth the price in what you get even if you decide you don't want to sell. As a consultant (or whatever they call themselves) you get 50% off. I have even thought about doing it again just so I can get more stoneware cheaper.

i love my pampered chef stuff but it never ceases to amaze me how much of it i find for pennies at goodwill and salvation army (much in new or near new condition). the only thing i can think is that people get them as wedding gifts and since there's not a brick and mortar store to get a credit from they just get rid of them.

I know me too! My daughter and I ran into Goodwill one evening and I found that food chopper thing! Mine had finally broke so bad after 10 years. It was like new and $3.50! I was so excited! I love that thing. I have never even found a knockoff that was as good as the PC one. I bet you are right about wedding gifts and such. So many people do not cook anymore.

Another vote for Ikea, especially for kitchen/dining stuff.

I know it sounds weird, but Costco for towels and sheets. They have really awesome bath towels that go on sale for $5 pretty often (I think they're $8 normally), and decent king size sheet sets for $20 or $25. Way better quality than the cheap ones at Target or Ikea.

Thanks! Good suggestions all. I do have an Aldi close by and an Ikea not too far away. Someone also told me to check out the habitat for humanity restore. So far Amazon or Walmart are actually winning most price wars of the stuff I've checked.
Where do you live? If close enough to me, you can come over, help me to through boxes of stuff, and maybe get some decent stuff to take home. Crockpot for sure.

Yes, Costco or Ikea for things like towels and sheets, things you don't want to get used. But for things like nicer furniture or higher end kitchen stuff, I'd go to some estate sales. It's unbelievable what you can find.

So, I'm moving into a new place and basically starting from scratch again. All I have is a bed and tv. What is the cheapest place to get things like dishes, silverware, glasses, bath towels, pots, pans....pretty much everything you need for a house. I'm thinking amazon, but does anyone have better suggestions?

As others said, you can find some nice things at thrift stores.
You can find gently used things, plus even new stuff. I have no stigma shopping there, and have found expensive stuff for very small price that have won me lots of compliments.

And, personally, I have no qualms buying linens that are used. Anything that can be washed/dried and obviously in good condition is not a problem. I have a set of Pottery Barn sheets that were practically new that are now 6 years old and going strong. Why would anyone have an issue with that? :confused3
I know some people that are Goodwill/thrift store/Dollar Tree snobs, but I laugh all the way to the bank - save our hard earned money on other things I want/need (like maybe a vacation :) ). Do I HAVE to shop there - nope, but I do!

Restores here are mostly building supplies for remodeling - very little useful household items, and what they do have are too expensive.

Last edited:
Check out tag sales in your area (just spend a Saturday driving around) and Christmas Tree Shops (especially their clearance section) to supplement with some basics you can't find at the tag sales.

Dollar Tree in my area had Rachel Ray Everyday Dinnerware collection for a $1/pc, very recently. I'd start there, and work my way over to Goodwill, and IKEA.

Go to Target for Bedding & Linens. You'll get so much better value for your money there, than anywhere else.

Try to find furniture on Craigslist, and Facebook Groups in your area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter