Starting from scratch again

DisneyEater

Mouseketeer
So, I'm moving into a new place and basically starting from scratch again. All I have is a bed and tv. What is the cheapest place to get things like dishes, silverware, glasses, bath towels, pots, pans....pretty much everything you need for a house. I'm thinking amazon, but does anyone have better suggestions?

Ikea if you have one nearby. Honestly, if you aren't totally picky about the dishes and silverware, go to the Dollar Tree. Especially if you don't need a full set. I wouldn't buy dish towels there, they aren't good quality. They do have some decent stuff in the kitchen gadget section as well, the Betty Crocker line they sell is good. The others you'd have to decide.

For towels, bath mats etc, compare the prices and look for sales coming up with back to college stuff. Look at Target and JC Penney, more JCP since they'll have coupons you can probably combine with the sale but be sure and read the fine print.

As the PP said, thrift stores can be good but at the same time, you can often find new stuff for less than what they charge.

Agree with @afan If you are not terribly picky, Dollar Tree rocks for setting up a kitchen.

Also, would suggest Ikea if you have one close, or Walmart. Ross is good for pots, pans and bakeware.

You'd be surprised at what you can get at Aldi's, as the PP said. They don't have a large selection on a regular basis--they rotate their "special buys" in and out. So, you might find college-type stuff now, then kitchenwares next month, then more entertaining items (trays and serving pieces) closer to Thanksgiving.

I like poking around in thrift stores, but stuff isn't always such a bargain. You have to know your prices. Walmart and/or Target have low prices--again, right now it's "outfit your dorm" season, so there's a large selection of young-looking furniture and other goods--lamps, small appliances, etc.--on sale.

So, I'm moving into a new place and basically starting from scratch again. All I have is a bed and tv. What is the cheapest place to get things like dishes, silverware, glasses, bath towels, pots, pans....pretty much everything you need for a house. I'm thinking amazon, but does anyone have better suggestions?

Are funds an issue? If they are, I might focus on "what can't be disposable 1st" and "what can be disposable for a little while." So, I would get paper plates, paper (or plastic) cups, and plastic silverware (and I'd even reuse the silverware) from the $1 store for eating, while I got a nice pot and pan to cook with. I'd also start with a nice bath towel, while maybe just using a disposable shower curtain liner...etc, etc...

I think Home Goods has very nice home decor. Ross is also great and way cheaper.

I agree with some PP and look at goodwill or savers (that is what we have in our area) -- you will find dishes, pots and pan - pretty much everything that will get your kitchen up and running. Maybe hit walmart for towels and other items. Once you get established you can gradually start replacing these items with ones that want, but to get started hit these stores. Often at our savers store they will have 50% off sales around the holidays or just random sales on house wears so keep your eye open.

Are funds an issue? If they are, I might focus on "what can't be disposable 1st" and "what can be disposable for a little while." So, I would get paper plates, paper (or plastic) cups, and plastic silverware (and I'd even reuse the silverware) from the $1 store for eating, while I got a nice pot and pan to cook with. I'd also start with a nice bath towel, while maybe just using a disposable shower curtain liner...etc, etc...

Why would you buy paper plates at the dollar store when you can buy actual plates at the dollar store for the same price? Same with the silverware and glasses, that's a waste.

Why would you buy paper plates at the dollar store when you can buy actual plates at the dollar store for the same price? Same with the silverware and glasses, that's a waste.

A single person will likely come out ahead saving on water and energy dishwasher costs if they use paper (and have way less work to deal with after meals if they choose to handwash). Also, if you only have the funds to buy nice things a few at a time, there's no point buying crap cups/plates (that are not microwavable or dishwasher-safe usually - that's why they are cheap) when you can buy paper and microwave on it and need no dishwashing until you can buy things you want...

It's choosing to spend on the "have to have nice" now vs "what can wait for awhile"...

Thanks! Good suggestions all. I do have an Aldi close by and an Ikea not too far away. Someone also told me to check out the habitat for humanity restore. So far Amazon or Walmart are actually winning most price wars of the stuff I've checked.

If you're on Facebook join your local yard sale pages. People will post stuff there before putting in a yard sale or taking to Goodwill. Sometimes you can find well taken care of things but people are changing out or are combining homes.

A single person will likely come out ahead saving on water and energy dishwasher costs if they use paper (and have way less work to deal with after meals if they choose to handwash). Also, if you only have the funds to buy nice things a few at a time, there's no point buying crap cups/plates (that are not microwavable or dishwasher-safe usually - that's why they are cheap) when you can buy paper and microwave on it and need no dishwashing until you can buy things you want...

It's choosing to spend on the "have to have nice" now vs "what can wait for awhile"...

They aren't all crap at the dollar tree. They actually sometimes sell Libbey brand glasses which is a brand many restaurants use. Their plates are also dishwasher and microwave safe from looking at their website. It sounds more like you have an issue with dollar stores rather than saving money.

Ikea's great, but you generally have to buy a whole set of dishes, I don't need coffee mugs any more. If I was setting myself up in and needed to save money I'd go to the dollar tree and buy 4 plates and 4 bowls and call it good.

It doesn't take that much water to wash dishes, we don't have a dishwasher and are just fine here doing them by hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter