SSR - Not always a sure thing

cobbler

DIS Veteran
Ok, first off I know I have a couple of factors working against me.

Brief history, we are spending 3 days after the Member Cruise at WDW and booked ASMo since we don't have any 07 points left. Didn't think about borrowing 08 points because we were going to use most of them in April next year for an extended family trip.

Well yesterday while doing dishes I decided to cut the Friday night out on the 2 bedroom we were going to use so I could have the points for a studio for the 3 night stay in October. :rotfl: I am so cruel, only taking them for 5 nights instead of 6 :lmao:

Ok, so I call MS today and I realize 1 - It's F/W and close to Halloween and 2 - It is only 12.5 weeks away from when we need to go. I thought for sure I would be able to get a studio at SSR and I could waitlist somewhere else, just to take a chance and see what happens.

Well to my surprise only 1 resort had 2 of my 3 nights available - and it wasn't SSR, it was OKW! I thought for sure SSR being the largest and always putting rooms online that we could get something but nope. So I got the 26th and 27th at OKW and have waitlisted for the 25th. Plus for kicks and giggles I waitlisted the entire stay at either VWL, BC or BWV - just basically to see what happens.

Again, yes I know it was for 12 weeks out (3 months), but looks like SSR isn't always going to be the short notice resort.

Once SSR is 10 years old it will be the last resort to fill the vast majority of the time.

I'm waitlisted at SSR for Dec. 2-7. It surprised me that there was no availability for a studio anywhere.

I'm waitlisted at SSR for Dec. 2-7. It surprised me that there was no availability for a studio anywhere.

I'm not. I learned the hard way last year what a busy DVC time that is. It's the cheapest season, post-Thanksgiving with all the Christmas activities in full swing. Studios go the fastest because they use the least points. In the end you have a recipe for members flying down on a quick pre-Christmas trip and chosing those studios to economize.

Last year all I could get was 1bedrooms. This is a time when you need to book in January.

SSR is WONDERFUL!!!!! I firmly believe that even though it is so big, waitlists are going to become much more the norm...Between DTD, PI, the spa availability, Turf Club Bar and Grill, the Golf course accessability, and the overall relaxed, upscale feel, once you stay there, it is hard to stay anywhere else. It has it all:rotfl:

SSR is WONDERFUL!!!!! I firmly believe that even though it is so big, waitlists are going to become much more the norm...Between DTD, PI, the spa availability, Turf Club Bar and Grill, the Golf course accessability, and the overall relaxed, upscale feel, once you stay there, it is hard to stay anywhere else. It has it all:rotfl:

I agree that SSR is Wonderful. It would be hard for us too to stay anywhere else. I just hope we don't have to do too much waitlisting :sad2: to stay at our beloved :love: SSR!

I still think since we have the 11 month booking window we will be a-ok :thumbsup2 in getting a ressie. Don't you?:confused3

I had to waitlist 2 of our days in a 1 br during thanksgiving week at 6 months out. Hope we get it. Forget about the 2 bedroom, I'd have to waitlist 3 of our days at SSR and I don't want to chance that. I guess there are a lot of new members and no where is really a short notice resort anymore at least during busy times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter