Silly question for Mr. Landbaron.

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
Is it possible for Disney to exceed your expectations anymore?

I mean you've had 30ish years of Disney under your belt. You've had your expectations exceeded already. Is there a point where your expectations are for the best that can possibly be done?

Now obviously the current Disney is lowering expectations. A completely different problem, but in the hectic world that is Theme Parks and resorts. is it possible for a company to exceed our expectations anymore?

I ask this, because of the Shining moment comment.
To me Disney's response was a Shining moment, because it seemed to exceed my expectations of Di$ney even while it was par for the course for Disney. Get my drift?

Is there a point where expectations can't be exceeded anymore?
I mean we all know Walt dropped things like a hot potato when he saw nowhere else to go with them and even back in the 60s, he was no longer big on theme parks anymore. MK was just a carrot to fund E.P.C.O.T. afterall.

I don't know that I have an answer, but I'm curious what others think. Plus it seemed like a good topic to get people riled up.

Is it possible for Disney to exceed your expectations anymore?
Not only possible, but it happens on a daily basis when I’m there.

1- Illuminations, no matter how many times I see this, it always amazes me.

2- The new Imagination ride!! Go Figment!!! Very pleased with this one!!!

3- Walking through the United Kingdom and being asked if our group would like a Magic Moment. They reserved a front row seat in the VIP area there for us right along the lagoon to watch Illuminations!! WOW!!!!

4- My father being chosen (actually I asked, but they made it surprisingly easy) to be the “Veteran of the day” in the flag lowering ceremony!!

5- EPCOT’s Fountain going through the entire show more than two hours after closing. That’s Magic!!!

6- Safari Steve’s presentation of the Jungle Cruise!!

7- Been to Prime Time many times, but this time the entire crew made the experience more than I expected!!

8- The buffets at the resorts (especially Boma’s and O’Hana’s)

9- A CM taking “official” pictures and yet volunteering to take an additional photo with our own camera!! WOW!!! Kind of like the good old days!!!

10- Asking to leave my daughters car at Old Key West this week, until she picks it up to begin her College Program and not only given immeadiate permission, but special treatment as well!!

11- Bobby Moody a CM at the Haunted Mansion who specializes in scaring the hell out of people (especially teenaged girls) as they exit the ride!! VERY GOOD!!!

12- The street people at the Studios!

13- The CMs standing through the walkways of AK holding little cages of spiders and bugs, taking the time to really explain things!

14- All the shows around World Showcase, especially the Living Statue!!

15- The Walking Vine in AK!! WOW!!!

16- The first time I accidentally took a drink from the talking water fountain!

17- The impromptu characters peppered throughout the day and not only in the “official” greet areas. Especially on e-ticket nights!

18- Snow White and the Seven Dwarves showing up outside Germany. She gathered a crowd of children and read the entire story of Snow White.

19- The pool party at Old Key West!!

20- The Beauty and the Beast show!! What can I say. It was my first time!!

You'll notice that a lot of them (and I'm sure I could name 100 more) deal with CMs. They almost always exceed my expectations!!

Now obviously the current Disney is lowering expectations.
Ahhhh! Yes!! Another problem altogether!!! ;)

A CM taking “official” pictures and yet volunteering to take an additional photo with our own camera!! WOW!!! Kind of like the good old days!!!

We had a similar experience at Disneyland last August. Our group had 4 or 5 cameras and the CM took our picture with each...

I don't mind them trying to sell us their photos if this is how they execute it.

Where to start.....

Something always happens that makes me say "wow"

It could be watching character interaction. It may have been our fishing experience with Capt Bill. Or the way Roxanne at the ESPN Club got DS fed in two minutes after a long flight.

I read a lot of the post from the naysayers on this board and wonder sometimes if we are going to the same place.

There is always something new and fresh. It's why we go back.

1. My two year old looking up at Minnie at Chef Mickey's and giving her the "I love you" sign in sign language. My sister had been trying to teach my 5 year old some signs and I guess the baby was watching. I nearly fell over! Minnie gave her the sign right back. And looked at me with some silent language that showed that she realized what a magic moment that was for me.

2. Speeding around Bay Lake in the water mice with my DH and finding out that there should be sea doo's soon.

3. Watching my girls dance in front of their seats to Country Bears Jamoree. To me, it's looking long in the tooth but just watching them enjoy it reminds me of how we just rolled in the aisles watching it when it was brand new.

4. Sitting on Bay Lake, waiting for the water parade.

5. The Circue! Now there's a show that exceded my expectations.

6. OKW..... That resort is just beautiful! Well done!

7. Walking around the Poly, finding a swing and watching the castle, playing with the sand with my toes.

8. Taking an evening stroll with my family from the Poly to the GF. I love the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake!

I know I've sounded so pessimistic lately. The truth is I LOVE WDW! I try to make each vacation a little different. Only speaking for myself, my major beefs with WDW are MK closing before dark and transportation not keeping up with the expansion. If I were that mad at the place, I wouldn't go there anymore. That's why I sit here a gripe. I CAN'T punish them with my pocketbook. I know I'll be back. Barring any radical changes like say putting a WWF ring in front of the castle, they'll have my business. My hope is that with each visit, I will see less and less of the outside world that has crept in over the years. And eventually I can add number 9......

9. Standing with my girls and hubby by the castle at night, under the trees with the glittering lights, watching the castle changing colors, wondering how they make it sparkle like that. We'll ooh and ahh over the fireworks then walk through Main Street all lined with lights and talk about our wonderful day spent at the Magic Kingdom.

If I were that mad at the place, I wouldn't go there anymore. That's why I sit here a gripe. I CAN'T punish them with my pocketbook.
Well, that’s true for everyone in car… well let’s not get into that!! Let’s just say that it is my reason for being here too. And I think I can speak for a certain frozen guy as well!!

For me and my family the contact with the CM's exceed my expectations all the time. And when im at the parks and see things like TOT/HunchBack of Notre Dame/KS my expectations are exceeded and im very hopeful that Mission Space will also exceed expectations.
My problem is with the decisions of upper management like getting rid of EE or reducing hours that affect how long i can enjoy myself but the shows/attractions/CM's still exceed expectations. Also that Universal has produced excellant attractions that match and sometimes surpass what wdw has and wdw doesnt seem to care to be the best like they used to, they perfer to get by without putting the time and effort into it like they used too.
But even considering the above im never disappointed when on site, its always magical but i fear that the slippage will go on and that could affect the magic of wdw.

I'm glad that other people feel the same way we do about Disney After Dark. To me that is not Pleasure Island.

To me it is walking around MGM or Epcot or especially the MK when it is dark out. There is just something that I can't explain, something magical about the place at night. All of the lights etc. Wish I could express it better.

In fact, nobody has mentioned, but there are parts of Sunset Blvd in MGM that are absolutely cool after dark. How can we ever hope to get this in Mgt's head, that Disney parks are not made to close before darkness hits. Let us stay late and enjoy the moment!

....if I were the person who got to make the decision...I'd look for a nice little compromise position. Something like leaving the shops and eateries open for 2 to 2 1/2 hours after the rides close (as opposed to the 45-minutes to 1-hour that's generally in place.)

This would allow them a great staffing and operations reduction at the early closing hours, but allow WDW afficienadoes (sp?) like us to linger and enjoy the atmosphere after nightfall.

In fact, they'd be leaving open the parts of the operation that would continue to generate $$ for the day's "take" with people shopping and buying food and drinks as they stroll (especially since there wouldn't be anything much else to do :) )

Anyway, I apologize. I didn't intend this to be so long. But, there certainly seems to be a lot of dicussion on the boards these days of the shorter hours. I understand the point of everyone's concerns because I'm a big "After-Dark" fan, as well, but I'm also starting to think a little too much is being made of it. The parks have always shifted their hours based on attendance projections. They've pretty much got it mastered at this point.

Doing a little bit of planning. Knowing what's open at what times before you leave. Taking advantage of E-Ticket nights (a bargain at $10 a head if seeing things after sunset is your goal) and a few other simply planning steps should allow everyone (and especially return visitors) to see what they wish at a reasonable pace.

Last thought: Even though they do a wonderful job removing us from the "real world" and its hassles when we visit, the business behind it has no choice but face harsh reality at times. Things are tough out there in the business world, folks. Disney's been deliverying high value and high-quality to us and our families for years. I really think we can cut them a little slack for having to respond to the demands of the buiness.

Sorrry for the rant :rolleyes:

The parks have always shifted their hours based on attendance projections.
But hours shrunk from 1998 to 2000, while attendance increased.

I can understand the further reductions since 9/11, however, that doesn't explain why this October has significantly shorter hours than last October.

They've pretty much got it mastered at this point.
From whose viewpoint?

Doing a little bit of planning. Knowing what's open at what times before you leave.
Knowing that something is closed does not change the fact that its closed.

The people around here DO plan, and most more than a little. That's precisely the reason continued cuts are noticed so much.

Taking advantage of E-Ticket nights (a bargain at $10 a head if seeing things after sunset is your goal) and a few other simply planning steps should allow everyone (and especially return visitors) to see what they wish at a reasonable pace.
I'm pretty sure its $12 a head. And yes, many do take advantage of enights (when they aren't cancelled, like during the entire month of May). However, some only do so because its better than the only alternative offered to them, which is to get out of the park. But that doesn't make it a great deal. What if MK closed at 3pm, with 3-6 being a $12 E-afternoon, and 6-9 being another $12 E-night? Sure, it might be worth it to pay $12 to ride for 3 afternoon hours with 4,999 other people, but that doesn't make it a good move on Disney's part.

I really think we can cut them a little slack for having to respond to the demands of the buiness.
Believe me, I have. I justified their cuts in recent months as in-tune with current conditions. And when you look at their comments on attendance, it did make sense.

However, that no longer seems to be the case. October hours have been slashed by over 11% from last year. Last October was already in the post 9/11 environment when nobody would even set foot in an airport, and now we are expected to believe deeper cuts are needed now?

If people were returning to WDW and DLR, I wouldn't be happy about the cuts, but I'd at least have to admit that its hard to argue with results. But attendance is still lagging, and apparently its lagging far behind the competition. Too much to be explained away by a decrease in international tourists.

Most of this post has been hashed and re-hashed. I don’t want to minimize your post, but on several other threads I have written thousands of words stating, defining and refining my position on E-ticket night, et al!! I bore people enough with my Disney Philosophy. I know I must be reaching justifiable levels (as in justifiable homicide) if I’m even bored by them.

But I could not pass up this sentence.
I really think we can cut them a little slack for having to respond to the demands of the business.
Their business is creating Magic, exceeding expectations and guaranteeing long term guest satisfaction which reinforces brand loyalty that will ultimately and AUTOMATICALLY take care of profits and their precious bottom line.

Walt knew that. They have forgotten it!!

I started to write a long, point-by-point reply (About the hours "reducing from 1998-2000" and pointing out that it was based on the opening of a fourth park to absorb the crowds...."pointing out that Disney has mastered the art of crowd projection and management," in that they are essentially the benchmark organization in their industry in terms of operational excellence. , etc, etc, etc.)

But maybe it all sums up with one question: Who pays the bills when a business runs at a loss?

A lot of good companies have gone down with the approach of "charing below costs and making it up on volume." :)

Walt created magic because he saw a niche in that market for it. The legacy lives on, although all things are prone to peaks and valleys.

WDW represents vacation perfection for millions of families....everyone needs to roll with the punches now and again.

Who cares baout the hours, minutes, days, night or whatever specific things are open and going on. It's Disney World. There's no way anyone can convince me there aren't a GREAT many options for fun that have nothing to do with park hours.

It's there, we love it.Let's make sure it stays around for a long, long time. To insure that, the reality is, it must be run as a business.

We need to accept that (IMHO)

As I read your post I was already countering, point by point, chosing the juiciest quotes along the way. But then...
There's no way anyone can convince me there aren't a GREAT many options for fun that have nothing to do with park hours.
OK then!! Since no one can convince you, HAVE FUN!!! Enjoy each and every day you spend there!!! I do!

I've spent too much time banging my head on the wall regarding a certain Pirate, Duck and Scoop! I don't have the energy (at least tonight) to convince someone who cannot be convinced!!

HAVE A DISNEY DAY!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

It does seem as tho' we've been there, done that, got the t-shirt on this subject.
However, even with the cutbacks, cost, etc., nothing else comes close to the magic that is Disney for my family. I'm the head cheerleader and have converted all that have made the trip.
Coming from a small town with only "normal" parks within easy driving distance, puts me in a position that I never saw anything even close to Walt Disney World's magic before going there in 1982.
Goodness knows people are probably sick of hearing me say it, but I agree with all the exceeding expectations examples listed above. We have the CD of the Millenium celebration with Tapestry, Illuminations, etc. on it and I have fears of it wearing out because it stirs me each and every time I hear it. I can see the performances, smell the smells in WS and see the people responding to the music, puppets, fireworks, etc.
Nothing else has lasted so long or been such a pick-me-up when I'm down. I'm disappointed when cuts are made, but I just keep the specialness that is still there closer to the center of my Disney being. And I have hopes for the future.
;)

"Is this your idea of a good restaurant?!?!? Dog Killer!!!!!"

(No hidden meaning there, just a reference to Clark's handle)

About the hours "reducing from 1998-2000" and pointing out that it was based on the opening of a fourth park to absorb the crowds...."pointing out that Disney has mastered the art of crowd projection and management," in that they are essentially the benchmark organization in their industry in terms of operational excellence. , etc, etc, etc
Glad you didn't go with a point-by-point reply, because then I would have had to respond with points about diluting the value of your product yet expecting guests to pay the same, and how hour got shorter on a same-park basis even as attendance rose on a same-park basis...)

WDW represents vacation perfection for millions of families....everyone needs to roll with the punches now and again.
This kind of response is one way businesses fall apart. Expecting customers to roll with what the business wants to do, instead of providing what its customers want.

I love WDW too, and yes, that includes within the current environment. But that's just my opinion, just as yours is only yours. The simple fact is, attendance is not reovering at the pace it should be. So while you and I may roll with the punches and take our trips, others are not.

That's the problem. As an ardent watcher of the bottom line, this is disturbing. If the parks were performing well, I would have a hard time arguing with you, other than saying I believe the impact to the long term health of the parks is being damaged. But since they are NOT performing well, despite the waves of cuts made, it appears that Disney is NOW feeling the long-term impact of their decisions.
And I have hopes for the future
So do I. That's why I'm so hard on them!!!
As do I.

"...pointing out that Disney has mastered the art of crowd projection and management..."

Yes - California Adventure and Animal Kingdom both reflect current management's masterary this is important part of the their business. And they're quickly gaining valuable experience in discounting, cost containment and contract cancellation thanks to these two parks as well.

"...everyone needs to roll with the punches now and again. "

So a key element of a Disney vacation is that their problems are supposed to become my problems as well? What a great educational opportunity - "Gee kids, I know you really wanted to ride the submarines this trip, but let me explain to you about the cost of all those stock options given to senior management...".

"Who cares about the hours, minutes, days, night or whatever specific things are open and going on. "

Becasue that's what I'm paying for. If I went to WDW just for the Florida weather I'd stay at home and sit in a sauna for ten hours.

"There's no way anyone can convince me there aren't a GREAT many options for fun that have nothing to do with park hours."

Convincing you isn't the problem. It's all the other millions of people who have decided that the parks AREN'T a great value. And that number seems to be growing with each release of quarterly earnings.

"To insure that, the reality is, it must be run as a business."

Yes it is. To bad it's being run as an ATM to shovel money to all the other businesses the current management can't run either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter