San Diego Hotel

Bibbidi_Boo

DIS Veteran
Looking for hotel recommendations for a family of 5 in san diego...not finding much at all....will be there beginning of august.

Looking for hotel recommendations for a family of 5 in san diego...not finding much at all....will be there beginning of august.
I've been there a few times and am heading back there tomorrow.

Really depends what you want to do and what you're looking for. I prefer to get a place that has a small kitchen in it. I like the Homewood Suites Downtown Bayside. Good sized room and small kitchen in it. I don't cook in it (but you can) but I just like the roominess and the ability to fix some toast/bagels or cereal and have a separate sitting area with a 2nd TV. The downside to this place is that if you have AT&T cell service, it's non existant in the room. It is down where the cruise ships come in and a short walk up into Little Italy. Valet parking only which is a downside. Free breakfast--so so.

I've also stayed at the Marriott Townplace Suites at Liberty Station. Same kitchen type thing but the room isn't nearly as nice as the Homewood. Not walkable to much either but has outside self-parking for about $15 per day. Free breakfast--so so.

I have also stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown. No kitchen but a separate living area with a small wet bar kind of set up. Fabulous breakfast every morning included. Valet parking and a daily desitination fee.

Tomorrow I will be staying at the Residence Inn Downtown Bayfront. Kitchen set up. Not sure how it will be.

I have heard the Town and Country Resort is good (no personal experience). It's in Hotel Circle which generally has better rates but not walkable to anything.

There are really lots more and maybe you'd prefer to be closer to Sea World or something. TripAdvisor is a good resource.

I've been there a few times and am heading back there tomorrow.

Really depends what you want to do and what you're looking for. I prefer to get a place that has a small kitchen in it. I like the Homewood Suites Downtown Bayside. Good sized room and small kitchen in it. I don't cook in it (but you can) but I just like the roominess and the ability to fix some toast/bagels or cereal and have a separate sitting area with a 2nd TV. The downside to this place is that if you have AT&T cell service, it's non existant in the room. It is down where the cruise ships come in and a short walk up into Little Italy. Valet parking only which is a downside. Free breakfast--so so.

I've also stayed at the Marriott Townplace Suites at Liberty Station. Same kitchen type thing but the room isn't nearly as nice as the Homewood. Not walkable to much either but has outside self-parking for about $15 per day. Free breakfast--so so.

I have also stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown. No kitchen but a separate living area with a small wet bar kind of set up. Fabulous breakfast every morning included. Valet parking and a daily desitination fee.

Tomorrow I will be staying at the Residence Inn Downtown Bayfront. Kitchen set up. Not sure how it will be.

I have heard the Town and Country Resort is good (no personal experience). It's in Hotel Circle which generally has better rates but not walkable to anything.

There are really lots more and maybe you'd prefer to be closer to Sea World or something. TripAdvisor is a good resource.

I found a home wood by seaworld that is affordable , trying to not break the bank since we won’t be in the room a ton. Going to the zoo and La Jolla for sure, have basically two days.

I also looked at the embassy it costs more, is it worth the extra cost? We will have a rental car.

Hi!

I've never been to San Diego or CA for that matter, but we are headed there this summer. When we are in San Diego, we are staying at the Marriott Marquis. We picked this hotel because it is near Petco Park, but after doing some research it does appear to be in a good location to walk to other things. There is a parking fee, maybe $35/day, I can't remember, but it is up there in price. We will be there right after the 4th of July and I booked this hotel last fall. I think we booked around $275/night, but I check prices constantly and right now our same dates are over $400/night. All that to say, if you find a place that you want to stay at and it is expensive now, keep checking to see if prices drop. The prices have dropped for our hotels in San Francisco and Anaheim as well.

Hi!

I've never been to San Diego or CA for that matter, but we are headed there this summer. When we are in San Diego, we are staying at the Marriott Marquis. We picked this hotel because it is near Petco Park, but after doing some research it does appear to be in a good location to walk to other things. There is a parking fee, maybe $35/day, I can't remember, but it is up there in price. We will be there right after the 4th of July and I booked this hotel last fall. I think we booked around $275/night, but I check prices constantly and right now our same dates are over $400/night. All that to say, if you find a place that you want to stay at and it is expensive now, keep checking to see if prices drop. The prices have dropped for our hotels in San Francisco and Anaheim as well.

The hard part is finding rooms that sleep 5 most don’t.

The Marquis is pretty fabulous, I am sure you will enjoy it, San Diego is very convention dominated, if they have a big one downtown prices go way up. In that case you want to move further away from downtown, maybe more like La Jolla or Carlsbad. Even Shelter Island will have better prices than the ones walking distance to the convention center

The Marquis is pretty fabulous, I am sure you will enjoy it, San Diego is very convention dominated, if they have a big one downtown prices go way up. In that case you want to move further away from downtown, maybe more like La Jolla or Carlsbad. Even Shelter Island will have better prices than the ones walking distance to the convention center

I’m glad to hear the Marquis is a good choice! I think we got a pretty good rate but the prices have increased significantly since we booked.

The nice part of the Marriott Marquis by the Seaport Village is the rail transportation to Old Town. And the proximity to the Gas Lamp District is another huge bonus.

I have been to SD about 5-6 times during my career working with the military. There are a lot of interesting places around the area.

Hi!

Never stayed at the Marriott but did stay at the Hyatt and Hilton next to them. It was a great location.

Has anyone stayed at The Grand Colonial Hotel at La Jolla.. Im thinking of staying there for 2 nights so I can see sea lions lol

Has anyone stayed at The Grand Colonial Hotel at La Jolla.. Im thinking of staying there for 2 nights so I can see sea lions lol
I have not stayed there but La Jolla and La Jolla Shores are nice little locations but very off the beaten path of the "heart of San Diego" stuff. I was just there last week and there were SO MANY sea lions. Much mor than last year. Even my son who lives there remarked on how many there were this time.

I’m glad to hear the Marquis is a good choice! I think we got a pretty good rate but the prices have increased significantly since we booked.
Marriott Marquis is a great choice. Most people love the hotel. I'm usually there for work so have to forgo it because of the "destination fee" and the parking fee.

The harbor area is nice, but kinda touristy, and I think Gaslamp has sort of declined with the homeless situation but San Diego seems to be taking care of that. I really love the Little Italy area to eat and walk around in but very hard to park there if you have your own car.

I would look at Best Western 2485 Hotel Circle Place, San Diego, CA, 92108. (Or others nearby) There is a tram nearby that will get you to Old Town , Little Italy, Downtown, Gaslight. Downtown is very walkable. Still would need a ride to the Zoo, but an uber may be cheaper than renting a car and paying parking at hotel and downtown. The other location I suggest is Homewood Suites at Liberty Station 2576 Laning Rd, San Diego, CA, 92106. I like the 2 bedroom suite with a hide a bed couch for my family. Breakfast included. Near restaurants and shopping. Comes with a kitchenette, so buying some groceries and packing a lunch or having a meal in for dinner is an option.

We stayed at the Harborview Inn & Suites on W Grape St, granted it is a 2-star hotel and the WiFi was a bit slow at times - but the room itself (for my wife & myself) was quite spacious. It didn't have a full kitchen but there was a fridge that worked well, alongside a sink & our own bathroom. Families were also staying in the hotel, although it was carpeted throughout so no noise could be heard from the other rooms.

I would look at Best Western 2485 Hotel Circle Place, San Diego, CA, 92108. (Or others nearby) There is a tram nearby that will get you to Old Town , Little Italy, Downtown, Gaslight. Downtown is very walkable. Still would need a ride to the Zoo, but an uber may be cheaper than renting a car and paying parking at hotel and downtown. The other location I suggest is Homewood Suites at Liberty Station 2576 Laning Rd, San Diego, CA, 92106. I like the 2 bedroom suite with a hide a bed couch for my family. Breakfast included. Near restaurants and shopping. Comes with a kitchenette, so buying some groceries and packing a lunch or having a meal in for dinner is an option.

We will have a car, family of 5 and I don't like dealing with shuttles and uber lol. We got a great car rental price for our week starting in LA and ending in San diego, $500 for a mini van.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter