Rumors and News Writers Strike?

I think there was some talk of the VFX Artists trying to organize and possible join the strike...

This is gonna cause more outsourcing most likely.
Take a look at the credit roll at the end of movies.

The technology protections the Unions want.... that's a lot like the UAW concerns back in the 70's when "robots" where taking over. In the end if technology can make a product better, well it's going to win out.
I think a lot of people don't understand how AI works. I'm not accusing you, just saying, it's very different. AI isn't creating content out of thin air. They scan in a lot of existing work. Then the software uses that to create the content. So, lots of writers wrote for example sitcoms in the last hundred years, it is being scanned in and there is a new sitcom coming out that is written by the computer based on the actual work of these writers. A lot of the results from ChatGPT is 95% based on something you can find on the web. But the original content creators aren't getting credit and aren't getting paid for their work.

In the 1970s, jobs were being replaced.. but they were not being replaced by work that was done by other workers. So, it isn't just about technology replacing people, it's about using people's work without crediting or compensating them.

I think a lot of people don't understand how AI works. I'm not accusing you, just saying, it's very different. AI isn't creating content out of thin air. They scan in a lot of existing work. Then the software uses that to create the content. So, lots of writers wrote for example sitcoms in the last hundred years, it is being scanned in and there is a new sitcom coming out that is written by the computer based on the actual work of these writers. A lot of the results from ChatGPT is 95% based on something you can find on the web. But the original content creators aren't getting credit and aren't getting paid for their work.

In the 1970s, jobs were being replaced.. but they were not being replaced by work that was done by other workers. So, it isn't just about technology replacing people, it's about using people's work without crediting or compensating them.
And do you think that isn't what writers do - pull from things they have seen, heard or read?

I love Star Wars, but where would George Lucas have been without Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series about an Empire and it's collapse? Also there are clearly key aspects of Frank Herbert's Dune mixed in there as well - desert planet, spice, technology is in some ways less "smart" than it should be. And for sure you can see the legendary tale of Merlin, Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere in Kenobi, Luke, Han and Leia. But Edward Elmer Smith who some say was the father of the space opera.... most every key feature of the Star Wars saga can be found in his writings.
  • Special powers running down through family lines, with twins playing a significant role.
  • Large-scale weapons including a free-roaming planet-sized fortress
  • Benevolent guardians seeking to fight evil.
  • A galactic trade in drugs which are used as currency
  • Norlaminian worship of "the all-controlling Force" along with general use of "force" powers throughout
  • a "tractor beam" from an artificial planetoid captures another vessel and a damsel in distress adventure ensues.
  • jet-less fighters with accumulators for beamed power.
  • Jettisoning a space lifeboat with a data spool containing secrets of the enemy's ultimate weapon, the 'Grand Base'.
  • Training with a helmet with a blast shield, yet able to 'see' due to special powers
  • "blade of flame"
  • Spherical, moon-sized spaceships.
Through the years Lucas has commented on the different influences to "his" story... but not sure he went as far and compensating anyone for their work he was able to "build" on.

100% it's something that has to be looked at, but in the end going down that road might get many writers in trouble for what they have copied. As for AI.... we still don't have true AI yet, but who knows what the future could hold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter