Rumors and News Writers Strike?

I feel like back in the day the rumor mill was busier because there were so many projects announced or rumored, but now there's just....nothing really (in the US at least). Pretty hard to get excited about a water fountain and fake plants at EPCOT, or.....uh....the *checks notes* nope that project was cancelled, .....uhhh some shops changing location at Disney Springs?
There’s always room for rumors about night parades.

Yep, they got first world problems that probably 7.9 billion people would love to have. My empathy and compassion are limited to people with real problems. CMs and other ancillary workers from the strikers feel more of a hit in real life and I hope they are ok.

Bless your heart if you truly believe most of those striking are wealthy individuals. Historically, those who've banded together to get better compensation for themselves have paved the way for others to earn the same.

Cannot believe Cali is gonna vote to give these clowns unemployment when they chose to strike. Unemployment is a safety net for those that lost their job due to a downturn of something similar. It’s not for people that essentially refuse to show up to work. Tax payers should be screaming from the rooftops.

Cannot believe Cali is gonna vote to give these clowns unemployment when they chose to strike. Unemployment is a safety net for those that lost their job due to a downturn of something similar. It’s not for people that essentially refuse to show up to work. Tax payers should be screaming from the rooftops.
agreed, it's essentially the government taking sides in a business dispute. Slippery slope for sure

Unfortunately this is very complicated in every way possible, things have changed so drastically and there needs to be solid plans going forward on how to handle. If they aren't talking extensively then I don't see resolution any time soon.

Problem is it's so complicated and some parts of it are still an unknown....
How does streaming make money for the studios and the streamers? I know it the past Disney has made a lot as a Studio - but through history Studios have been a rather hit and miss business, and lately Disney's has had more misses than hits. Maybe they should share more of the profits... when there are profits, and share the losses as well.

The technology protections the Unions want.... that's a lot like the UAW concerns back in the 70's when "robots" where taking over. In the end if technology can make a product better, well it's going to win out.

How does streaming make money for the studios and the streamers? I know it the past Disney has made a lot as a Studio - but through history Studios have been a rather hit and miss business, and lately Disney's has had more misses than hits. Maybe they should share more of the profits... when there are profits, and share the losses as well.

The technology protections the Unions want.... that's a lot like the UAW concerns back in the 70's when "robots" where taking over. In the end if technology can make a product better, well it's going to win out.
I agree, especially when talking about the writers. Now when it comes to using someone's likeness, i think studios will have to fold on that one, you shouldn't be able to essentially "own" someone for all eternity for a one time fee.

But there is a HUGE difference between the two strikes. They can't be compared.

Writers and Actors can not be trained, either you have the gift or you don't. Yes the gift can be fine tuned but you can't just bring in someone, train them in process and have success. Also their skill of what they produced is used over and over again for years, sometimes decades to produce income for the studios. It's not just a short set of time to build a car, which will be sold and the manufactures will make a set amount of money, one time.

Robots can build cars, same exact car over and over. It doesn't impact the final product. AI can write some scripts, create some fake imagery ... but over time it will all end up repetitive and the studios will lose any uniqueness, creativity and begin their own demise.

Still not sure movie theaters will survive, I know ours is mostly empty and we live in an affluent area. I'm at the theater 1-2 times a week, I don't see how they sustain. I love seeing a movie in the theater, have since a teen. I met Malcolm McDowell earlier this year and in the conversation he said "There is nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen. It simply can't be replicated anywhere else." And I agree with him. He asked me if I still go to the theater, I told him weekly. I even go to movies I'd probably not go to just to be another body in a seat at the theater.

Every part of the industry needs to do some long term planning ~ and it is so complicated on every level.

Last edited:

A company (or anyone really) shouldn't own someone's looks and/or voice for the rest of time.

A company (or anyone really) shouldn't own someone's looks and/or voice for the rest of time.
it's going to get really messy. Studios could and probably will try to emulate actors so they look and act close to the original, but are technically not using the actors likeness. Lawsuits galore is my guess

Yeah, not so happy bailing out automakers. Much less happy bailing out UAW pensions. Corporations at least are at risk, not so much the strikers.
As far as the writers, pretty sure and monkey with a typewriter could punch out daily scripts for most of Disney's recent flops as well as 90% of television.
The movie writers are in a different class for the most part, but yeah until losses can be equally shouldered I'm a no on whining about sharing profit.

Thing is, they really aren't creating a necessary or at least a mandatory product. I'm more talking goods and services etc.

We need to build and sell like 25 million EVs a year ( up from lasts years record 850 thousand) for the next 25 years to replace the 600 million registered vehicles in the US alone. To hit the 2050 net zero. 800 years currently won't help much.

On top of that, I know many different groups that don't "watch or stare at" a TV for tv shows or movies.

Some are just gamers.
Some are just youtubers, tt etc.
Some are Facebook, instagram, Disers.
Some are sports only.
Some are environment, hunters, fishers, family outings, travel and visits etc.

I know so many people that have lost jobs to many things out of their control.

Not saying they don't have a case and hope it works out for both, just observing with minimal interest.

And we know now how many streamers per month per show on D +, so divide monthly rev accordingly.

Thing is, they really aren't creating a necessary or at least a mandatory product. I'm more talking goods and services etc.

We need to build and sell like 25 million EVs a year ( up from lasts years record 850 thousand) for the next 25 years to replace the 600 million registered vehicles in the US alone. To hit the 2050 net zero. 800 years currently won't help much.

On top of that, I know many different groups that don't "watch or stare at" a TV for tv shows or movies.

Some are just gamers.
Some are just youtubers, tt etc.
Some are Facebook, instagram, Disers.
Some are sports only.
Some are environment, hunters, fishers, family outings, travel and visits etc.

I know so many people that have lost jobs to many things out of their control.

Not saying they don't have a case and hope it works out for both, just observing with minimal interest.

And we know now how many streamers per month per show on D +, so divide monthly rev accordingly.
I heard rumors that some video game companies are considering going on strike too. I follow some people on Twitter that are game devs and from what they say I don't even blame them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter