Rumored DDP Changes - Would they impact your use?

DDP wouldn't work for us. This thread caused me to look to see exactly why:

For our trip in December, we will be there for 5 nights. ADRS include one CS meal (at Tusker house); four regular TS meals (lunch at Coral reef and whispering Canyon and dinner at Liberty Tree inn and Le Cellier), and four Signature meals requiring two TS credits each (breakfast at CRT, dinner at California Grill, Brown Derby and Jiko's.) That means I'd get 5 TS credits and 5 CS credits under the DDP but I'd need only 1 CS credit (none if Tusker House will be TS by December) and 12 TS credits. I'd have 4 extra CS and be short 7 TS.

The DDE card works well for us. I get 20% off on every meal in our plan.

DDP wouldn't work for us. This thread caused me to look to see exactly why:

For our trip in December, we will be there for 5 nights. ADRS include one CS meal (at Tusker house); four regular TS meals (lunch at Coral reef and whispering Canyon and dinner at Liberty Tree inn and Le Cellier), and four Signature meals requiring two TS credits each (breakfast at CRT, dinner at California Grill, Brown Derby and Jiko's.) That means I'd get 5 TS credits and 5 CS credits under the DDP but I'd need only 1 CS credit (none if Tusker House will be TS by December) and 12 TS credits. I'd have 4 extra CS and be short 7 TS.

The DDE card works well for us. I get 20% off on every meal in our plan.

The official TH release

Tusker House, at Animal Kingdom is being converted to a buffet service restaurant to open in early November. It will offer a Character Breakfast called Donald's Safari Breakfast and will offer non-character buffets for lunch and dinner. It will be open from 8am - 10:30am for Breakfast and 11:30 until park closing for lunch and dinner. Both indoor and outdoor seating will be available.

To make the necessary renovations, Tusker house will be closed from August 20 until November 17th. During this time, the Safari Celebration Dinner Grand Gathering will be unavailable. The last Safari Grand Gathering will be on August 19th. It will return on November 25th.

Donald's Breakfastosaurus character breakfast will end after November 5th. Restaurantosaurus wil continue to be open as a quick service restaurant from 10:30am until park closing.

Reservations will not be needed for the outdoor seating since that area will not be part of the Character Breakfast.

Once Tusker House reopens, the Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery will remain open but only from the outdoor window.

At this time the characters at the new breakfast will be Donald, Daisy, Mickey and Goofy (of course that is always subject to change and daily availablity of the stars).

We just don't eat that much or that often to make it worth it! Besides, in the past DH & I would lose a couple of pounds in a week at WDW. With the dining plan we gained 3 or 4!!

My initial thought was "Heck no! If those changes go through no DDP for us!". My current thought is "Maybe ... ".

I compared our upcoming meals (Boma, Liberty Tree Tavern, Biergarten, Teppan Edo (assuming same menu) & Mama Melrose) three ways: Old DDP, New DDP and the DDE Discount.

Assumptions:
(1) I assumed that the "cost" of CS meals and snacks would be the same for each DDP, $12.75 per adult and $7 per child average (see previous calculations here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/MYW%20Dining/DisneyDiningRanking.htm)
(2) I assumed that the cost of CS meals would be about $8 less per day for the DDE comparison because we don't usually buy those nasty desserts.
(3) I assumed that the snacks would be the same for all three programs at $7.50 per day.
(4) I eye-balled the menus at Mama Melroses and Teppan Edo and picked out what we would probably order.
(5) On DDE, we would probably order one app and one dessert to share, so that's what I calculated.

Old DDP
OOP Cost = cost of plan only.Total OOP cost: $450
Total Value: $636

New DDP
OOP Cost = cost of plan PLUS tips at 20%.
Total OOP cost: $510 (note ... about $70 extra in tips)
Total Value: $572

DDE Discount
OOP Cost = All table service = 20%, tips at 20% (note DDE card "paid for" with one trip to V&A's)
Total OOP cost: $502
Total Value: $502

Results:
Given my restaurant selection over 5 days the NEW DDP has $63 LESS food value and costs $70 MORE in tips for a total LOSS in value and tips of $133 or about $26 per day. The difference is bound to be much larger by way of food value with fewer buffets where dessert in included in the new DDP anyway.

If the new DDP allows a choice of appetizer or dessert, then it would still make sense for us to go for it, especially if we have no plans for V&A so the cost of the DDE card would have to be calculated in. Otherwise, it's pretty close price-wise and I prefer an app to dessert.

The official TH release

Tusker House, at Animal Kingdom is being converted to a buffet service restaurant to open in early November.
So that means it would count as a TS instead of a CS from December on?

Then my analysis would show we need no CS at all and 13 TS credits. We'll stick with the DDE card. :)

Only my wife and I go most of the time - we have DDE. We never eat 3 "real" meals a day at home, so it's too much for us.

I'm disappointed in these possible changes. I agree with other posters that there should be a choice between an appetizer or dessert. If given the choice I'd rather get an appetizer included and then get a churro or mickey bar for dessert :mickeybar

1) DDE is 65 bucks if you have seasonal pass. Just an fyi.

2) We always get the DDP, would skip the new plan and buy more groceries.

This is very disappointing, if it is true. For us, When we go as 2, we will probably just use the DDE card, this May, that I already have. For our large family trip, I will really have to weigh out the menu costs vs the plans. We can really run up a bill. I sure did enjoy the DDP while it lasted. It made the trip so smooth, I really wish Disney would reconsider.

I compared our upcoming meals (Boma, Liberty Tree Tavern, Biergarten, Teppan Edo (assuming same menu) & Mama Melrose) three ways: Old DDP, New DDP and the DDE Discount.

Looking on the DDE list, the Teppanyaki restaurant isn't listed, and as that is DW's favorite restaurant, we probably wouldn't get DDE. We probably won't get DDP either...

Well, the good news in all this is that, if MANY people are no longer doing DDP, maybe it will be easier for all of us with DDE's to actually get IN to some of these restaurants!!!

Looking on the DDE list, the Teppanyaki restaurant isn't listed, and as that is DW's favorite restaurant, we probably wouldn't get DDE. We probably won't get DDP either...
That's probably because it is closing soon or may already be closed to become "Teppan Edo". Teppanyaki was on the dining plan before, but I'll make a back-up reservation just in case it's not on the DDP in December. Thanks for the head's up!

1 night on the deluxe plan would be perfect. We usually do 2-3 TS for an entire trip, so this would be an economical way to get those dinners and then not be tied to a strict schedule built around TS ADRs for the rest of the trip. No way will the new regular plan be a good value for us, mathematically it doesn't really work for us now, but sometimes we splurge and do it anyway.

And to comment on all of your investigation, how can you possibly think anyone at Disney will give you any information on the changes before it is officially announced? Of course they will tell you they know nothing of the changes because they cannot say anything until it is officially announced.

I LOVE this post.

Disney is not going to tell ANY of us ANYTHING until they are ready to formally announce. Calling your guide, Disney Dining, CRO, even Meg Crofton personally isn't going to get you any detail. And "information" from any CM is just as reliable as those bus driver rumors about the monorail expansion. :rotfl: (Or those rumors about CRV. Until Disney announces it it's a RUMOR! LOL!)

(That said, Deb has GREAT sources)

I have a few thoughts

Is the "Deluxe" plan even going to be an option for DVC? I seem to recall reading a rumor someplace that the "Deluxe" was going to be for "Deluxe" resorts. (i.e., you can't book it if you stay at the All Stars or Mods) So where would DVC fall and would they price it higher? (I would actually think so, once again it's a loss leader LOL!)

That wine program does not appeal at all. I will just use the DDE for wine. (For that price they better have a GREAT wine list or it's not a discount LOL!)

Will the snackes be reduced? While I was fine using my snack credits for bottled water a few weeks ago I know most of the posters view the snack as a third meal.... if you are limited to drinks, popcorn etc, will you be happy?

Will Disney make the tip mandatory? I really think that's going to have to happen! If not, I think some posters are correct your service on DDP will go downhill while they cater to folks like me who aren't on the plan. DDP members are going to be "lumped" in with "bad tippers" just due to the folks who "tip based on what we paid" or "decrease the value of the meal" due to "Disney inflating the prices" (Let me point out that I ate at the Gaylord Texan two nights ago. Those prices made Disney look REASONABLE!:goodvibes )

And of course, we don't even know if DDP will still be offered to DVC members. Disney could take that away at any time. I doubt they will, but they could (or they could charge more)

And of course, we don't even know if DDP will still be offered to DVC members. Disney could take that away at any time. I doubt they will, but they could (or they could charge more)

Of course, we don't know what Disney/DVC will do at this point, but I don't see charging more to DVC members for the plan as a reasonable option. It would make marketing DVC to new members more difficult.

I think they will either continue the DDP to DVC members at the same price as CRO Package people, or simply drop the DDP from DVC entirely. Since even the current DDP pricing would "overfeed" us, and not be cost effective for us compared to the DDE and our normal dining habits, whatever they do with DDP won't have any effect on my vacations.

Of course, we don't know what Disney/DVC will do at this point, but I don't see charging more to DVC members for the plan as a reasonable option. It would make marketing DVC to new members more difficult.

I think they will either continue the DDP to DVC members at the same price as CRO Package people, or simply drop the DDP from DVC entirely. Since even the current DDP pricing would "overfeed" us, and not be cost effective for us compared to the DDE and our normal dining habits, whatever they do with DDP won't have any effect on my vacations.

I agree. I think the basic plan will be availalbe to DVC members at the same price. I am not 100% sure about the "deluxe" plan (which I also consider the "road to obesity" :rotfl2: I gained weight on the normal plan....:rotfl2: ) But the truth is that Disney COULD drop us out of the plan if they wanted to.

(I have not taken the tour since the DDP was added, is it mentioned as a "selling point"?)

Well, the good news in all this is that, if MANY people are no longer doing DDP, maybe it will be easier for all of us with DDE's to actually get IN to some of these restaurants!!!

I do agree with this. And also for those of us without DDE.

Although i stil would consider DDP if I were with a group just for the ease of the check.
I remeber when Le cellier was always empty in fact I do not think most people knew Canada even had a TS, who would want Canadian food anyway :lmao:
Blame it on Frommer's

hmmm well I'm still mussing over some possibilites: and going with the assumption that DVC will be able to buy the deluxe DDP

1 2bd room 4 people all on deluxe dining 5 nights = 60 credits +
1 studio 2 people no DDP

would work out to 2 credits a day per person in the group and works out to $47 per person a day if the cost is split between 6 people- not sure how to share out the mugs....

that's if you can still "treat" people and the logistics may be a nightmare but given the group makeup and a strong desire for apetizers it may work out;) would have to be 2 TS every day to make it worth while I think.

Thoughts?

The restaurants in Japan have never been included on the DDE. DH & I love sushi and it was never included but we would just forego the 20% and eat there anyway!!

My DD & SIL are more disappointed in the change in DDP than we are. We really over did the food when we had it! When I crunched some numbers, it will be a little bit cheaper for us to do it OOP, and that would include HDDR and Jiko. I think Disney could have done it a bit differently...Instead of a 20% - 30% increase. I always said that it was a no-brainer if you were going to do a sit down meal every night. It's going to be hard for Disney TA's to sell this as easily. Bummer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter