Rumored DDP Changes - Would they impact your use?

I agree. I think the basic plan will be availalbe to DVC members at the same price. I am not 100% sure about the "deluxe" plan (which I also consider the "road to obesity" :rotfl2: I gained weight on the normal plan....:rotfl2: ) But the truth is that Disney COULD drop us out of the plan if they wanted to.

(I have not taken the tour since the DDP was added, is it mentioned as a "selling point"?)

We did the tour in November 2006 and our guide said nothing about the DDP and we didn't ask about it as we're not interested in it.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: deluxe plan=road to obesity. That's a good one, my DH thinks the regular one is(he's on his high horse after losing 50lbs by just cutting out the junk and working out).

So we have no interest in the DDP.

I've been using the DDP for many years and if the rumored changes take place, I will probably just use the DDE in the future. If the dining plan does not include tip and an appetizer for the TS meal - it is not cost effective. I can save 20% using the DDE.

I also think that TS locations will see a drop in reservations, as most are full because of the dining plan.

that's if you can still "treat" people and the logistics may be a nightmare but given the group makeup and a strong desire for apetizers it may work out;) would have to be 2 TS every day to make it worth while I think.

Thoughts?

According to the brouchure this year, you can not "treat" other people.

From page 6 of the brouchure:
Q: Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation and have not purchase a Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining?

A: Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation and have not purchase a Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining.

I wish that DVC members could purchase the DDE card without having to have an AP! That would be the best plan for DH and I. A fellow Dis'er and DVC member pointed that out to us this past May, on our trip.

We did the tour in November 2006 and our guide said nothing about the DDP and we didn't ask about it as we're not interested in it.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: deluxe plan=road to obesity. That's a good one, my DH thinks the regular one is(he's on his high horse after losing 50lbs by just cutting out the junk and working out).

So we have no interest in the DDP.

Just because I wanted to know. I estimated the calories and fat for ONE meal at LeCellier, (Soup, Filet Entree, Creme Brulee) 1100 calories 70 Grams of fat.

You have to walk 4 hours at a good clip to burn those calories. Do that twice a day...... No way anyone burns that many calories at Disney. So unless you are one of the lucky ones with great metabolism.......

According to the brouchure this year, you can not "treat" other people.

From page 6 of the brouchure:

well there went that idea:lmao: should have guessed they'd close that loophole.

okay - really can't see the value then. :sad2:

if they give me choice of appetizer of dessert, and reduce it a few more dollars - maybe. If not we'll be having in room meals more often.

ah well ...

Hasn't pretty much everyone been saying this would eventually happen with DDP? I remember reading threads a couple of years ago where people were saying "Enjoy the dining plan while you can. You know Disney's M.O. is to offer "new" programs at a really great value, and then slowly increase the price and take away perks until it becomes a bad deal for everyone". I guess WDW is hoping the DDP will become a "habit" for some who will not look at the price for the value. Maybe it is just me, but I have expected this change for awile. Remember the "Disney Club" card (or, whatever it was called)? We didn't have the pleasure of enjoying that card back when it was a great perk, but dh used to get one free thru his employer the last couple of years it was around. People told us every time we used that card in the park, "This USED to be a great card!!" :confused3 I'm not really sure what I missed.

However, I also wonder if WDW might be trying to "discourage" use of the plan a bit, due to all the complaints that people could not get into TS restaurants? Just a thought.

Oh...I also thought it was interesting about Tusker House....I am assuming Rainforest Cafe will probably not be on the DDE card next year, since we now WILL have another TS in AK??

Hasn't pretty much everyone been saying this would eventually happen with DDP? I remember reading threads a couple of years ago where people were saying "Enjoy the dining plan while you can. You know Disney's M.O. is to offer "new" programs at a really great value, and then slowly increase the price and take away perks until it becomes a bad deal for everyone".

Disney has offered different dining plans for years and they were always a bad deal (IMO). So when they changed to the current DDP, I guess there was reason to be optimistic. Making most people pay full price for the rooms in order to buy the plan certainly helped Disney in one area.

Personally I'm a little surprised that they are making such radical changes all at once (if the rumors are true, of course.) Seems like they would have made the changes less noticable if they had simply lowered the price and eliminated the tip this year, and then looked at removing the appetizer next year.

However, I also wonder if WDW might be trying to "discourage" use of the plan a bit, due to all the complaints that people could not get into TS restaurants? Just a thought.

DDP or no DDP, I don't think there will be a huge impact on popular places like Chef Mickey's or Le Cellier. I'm of the obsessive "book my reservations at 180 days" type, out of fear that restaurants would fill-up. I've heard many claim that the issue of availability at MOST places is blown way out of proportion and that even with the DDP you can still call the same week (or same day) and still get a seating most days. Don't know from personal experience, though.

Oh...I also thought it was interesting about Tusker House....I am assuming Rainforest Cafe will probably not be on the DDE card next year, since we now WILL have another TS in AK??

I think we're more in danger of losing the CS locations at AK. Between Tusker, Yak and Yeti and Rainforest, AK will soon have three table service locations. Unless Rainforest and Yak both opt-out of DDE, I could see Disney removing Flame Tree, Pizzafari and Restaurantosaurus.

But maybe Rainforest and Yak will both opt-out. They are independently owned so they have no obligation to participate. :confused3

I just got home from a week away at work, so I haven't read all posts...

We have never used the DDP, and never plan to. We are DDE diehards, as that works great for us. :smokin:

MG

Disney has offered different dining plans for years and they were always a bad deal (IMO). So when they changed to the current DDP, I guess there was reason to be optimistic. Making most people pay full price for the rooms in order to buy the plan certainly helped Disney in one area.

Personally I'm a little surprised that they are making such radical changes all at once (if the rumors are true, of course.) Seems like they would have made the changes less noticable if they had simply lowered the price and eliminated the tip this year, and then looked at removing the appetizer next year.

DDP or no DDP, I don't think there will be a huge impact on popular places like Chef Mickey's or Le Cellier. I'm of the obsessive "book my reservations at 180 days" type, out of fear that restaurants would fill-up. I've heard many claim that the issue of availability at MOST places is blown way out of proportion and that even with the DDP you can still call the same week (or same day) and still get a seating most days. Don't know from personal experience, though.

I think we're more in danger of losing the CS locations at AK. Between Tusker, Yak and Yeti and Rainforest, AK will soon have three table service locations. Unless Rainforest and Yak both opt-out of DDE, I could see Disney removing Flame Tree, Pizzafari and Restaurantosaurus.

But maybe Rainforest and Yak will both opt-out. They are independently owned so they have no obligation to participate. :confused3

I am so behind!! I didn't know anything about the Yak and Yeti!! :confused3 I just hope there is something at the new Tusker buffet that my dd will eat....the rotisserie chicken has always been a "safe haven" for pickiness....I guess now we will have to discover something new at AK.

Just because I wanted to know. I estimated the calories and fat for ONE meal at LeCellier, (Soup, Filet Entree, Creme Brulee) 1100 calories 70 Grams of fat.

You have to walk 4 hours at a good clip to burn those calories. Do that twice a day...... No way anyone burns that many calories at Disney. So unless you are one of the lucky ones with great metabolism.......

We might get a dessert once or twice during a visit, I usually drop a few pounds during a WDW(4lbs at Thanksgiving! even with 2 pieces of pie on Turkey day!).

Like I said we don't do DDP, but DDE and tend to go TS for lunch instead of dinner.

Any changes to DDP will not effect me in anyway, other than perhaps I won't have to think about ADP's 180 days out anymore.

I have a feeling that as soon as either Tusker HOuse changes or Yak N Yeti open the DDE discounts at AK CS are gone.
I am also very saddened by the change at Tusker House. I don't WANT another buffet and the food was good there.

OH well, Disney didn't ask me. (I have a feeling it does mean I won't eat many meals at AK. I don't like the Pizza or BBQ places.)

But if we don't get to WDW more than once a year, I don't get AP's, so I can't get the DDE card.

I know, I should just go more often!!

I have a feeling that as soon as either Tusker HOuse changes or Yak N Yeti open the DDE discounts at AK CS are gone.
I am also very saddened by the change at Tusker House. I don't WANT another buffet and the food was good there.

OH well, Disney didn't ask me. (I have a feeling it does mean I won't eat many meals at AK. I don't like the Pizza or BBQ places.)

I agree with your sentiment about Tusker House! It was a favorite of ours, and I HATE buffets, so alas, I wonte be eating there again. I certainly hope they don't do the same with Flame Tree, because it will be the only place left that we will eat at inside AK. We love Rainforest at the MOA, but the one at AK leaves something to be desired, and isn't as good as the original.

:scared1:
I just had a thought

What if they give priority booking to the Deluxe Dining Plan guests over the Basic DDP guests?

3 TS a day is alot to book if the ADR competition remains as fierce as it is.

I know I would not want that challenge:eek:

I agree with your sentiment about Tusker House! It was a favorite of ours, and I HATE buffets.....

UGH! I love Tusker House the way it is/was. The deal that sealed no more buffets for me was the kid that took a bite out of a roll and put it back on the breakfast buffet at Cape May. We haven't had a buffet since. All of those dirty hands touching the serving utensils and then you touch them and then eat your food! UGH!!! I've seen way too many people use the restroom and immediatly exit. No handwashing :eek: We just cannot bring ourselves to any buffets anymore.

Sorry if anyone is eating while readin!

We are checking in in 2007, checking out in 2008- asked for the DDP to be added to our DVC (points) ressie. Do you think I will get the old (current)DDP plan or the new one or will my plan change in price and benefits halfway through my trip? Anyone have experience with a stay that spans a policy change like this?

We are checking in in 2007, checking out in 2008- asked for the DDP to be added to our DVC (points) ressie. Do you think I will get the old (current)DDP plan or the new one or will my plan change in price and benefits halfway through my trip? Anyone have experience with a stay that spans a policy change like this?

Our trip is booked the same way, spanning 2007 and into 2008. The confirmation that I receveiced was that the dining plan would not change mid-trip. The "old" plan would remain on the reservation since it is a 2007 reservation. Yea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter