Rumored DDP Changes - Would they impact your use?

I worked our numbers today.....the regular DDP saves us about 15% over OOP.

I checked on the DX ddp, and any value on our "agenda" came from the mug and the snacks. As DVC members....that's just not enough value for me. Thats for us....we decided we REALLY don't want to commit to 3 TS meals per day, or more than 1 signature event, this trip. I think we might do it on a future trip (assuming it sticks around), when scheduling Hood De Doo AND a signature dinner. But even with a 2/1 ratio, we just barely hit break even (which was probably a sign of the fact we have LOTS of buffets and family style stuff on our agenda, and not much 'a la carte') over OOP costs. We didn't factor in the cost of the snacks and the mug, so THAT would have been our savings. About $8 per night, per person + the spread out cost of the mug (about $2 per night, per person, for our 6 night stay). I just don't see a lot of value in that 15% of the savings.....(10/70) in our situation.

Well if this holds true I guess we won't be using the DDP anymore. This May was the first trip we were able to get DDP (through the DVC) because we always had FL resident rates on rooms and APs. We loved the DDP. We tried a few new restaurants - ones that we had been holding off trying because of the cost (I hate to drop a lot of money on a meal only to not have enjoyed it). We figured that for our family of four (one is a toddler) that the DDP wasn't really saving us any money if we ate what we normally ate. But... if we were to pay OOP for all of the food that we were getting on the DDP we were going to enjoy a good savings. If these new changes go into effect we won't be getting the DDP and we'll go back to our less food way of eating and skip the higher priced meals. This is very unfortunate change for families that could really benefit from the DDP and might keep people out of the bigger dollar restaurants. As far as service we didn't notice any bad service or less attentive CMs at any of our meals.

I think this will also end up hurting the CMs. People might have the mindset that they have already paid for the entire meal and dining experience forgetting that they still need to tip.

I've used DDP once, and will be using it again in September. Last time we did find that the DDP meals gave us more food than we could eat, and by the end of the trip, I gained about five pounds! Even so, we decided to use it again this time, but mainly because we're using our TS credits for Cali Grill & Jiko. We're fine having the snacks and the CS on the other days.

As for the tip, we still wound up leaving a little extra for our servers last time because we didn't really trust that they'd get the full tip they deserved for their service.

As for the new plans, we'd most likely not do the deluxe version, as $69.99/day is way more than I would want to spend on food, especially when we have the kitchen at our disposal in the DVC accommodations... at least that's what I think now. If they offer DVC members discounted rates, then we'd probably stick with it.

If the rumors are true, then DW and I won't be using DDP. We'd have no problem giving up the dessert, but giving up the appetizer (which is usually a salad in our case) would actually cost us money since we'd buy it anyway. Add that to the cost of tip, and pretty soon DDE is looking pretty darned good even for people like us who don't drink alcoholic beverages very often.

As for the Deluxe DDP, we'd have no interest at all in that. 3 TS meals per day wouldn't leave us enough time to tour the parks.

We're just hoping that whatever changes are made to the plan, and however people react to it, the end result is even better food for everyone! :)

Well. now I'm out if these are in fact the changes. So, Disney values the appetizer and tip to be $1.00--too small a change in price to work for my family of four --with a tween and a teen in tow it wont even be a breakeven for me. Looking at he menus most days we'd only spend about $110 iwth a CS and TS and an occasional snack. The old DDP was close to that albiet a bit more for us but close enough for the prepaid convieneince. Now it is too much OOP withthe tip and the appetizers--we usually get salads or bread (Mama Melrose's) so I'd still need to pay OOP for those.
I do feel badly for the CM's who are going to get stiffed with poor or no tips at all.

We'll also pass on it for that...will continue to use the DDE instead. We've used the DDP, especially when traveling with others as it makes the check so much easier at the end of a meal. But there is too much food for us - it would be so much better, IMHO, if they would offer appetizer OR dessert instead of taking one away. Also, without the tip, it's not a deal for us.

Sorry, Disney.

We are going to try the Deluxe plan for our january trip, if it really is as stated in the rumors. Seems like a lot of money up front but when I do numbers for my family of 5 we can come out ahead with Deluxe. We would most likely do a late breakfast and then a signature dining/dinner show at night. The 2 snacks will fill in between the meals. We dont really need the mug.

The only thing that does give us pause is the fact that the tip is removed. Doing 2 TS meals a day, especially with one of those being signature, can add up to a lot of tip money.

Certainly we can eat cheaper w/o any Dining plan but we really love to eat at TS so a DDP works for us for now. We will do our Feb. trip w/o any DDP and see what works best.

Cant wait to get the final details....

We've used DDP on our last four trips. There is NO way that I would purchase the new plan. Instead, we would use DDE and only eat at Table Service every other day.

This is very disappointing, and will definitely lead us to travel more frequently outside of Disney (especially at the Royal Resorts in Cancun).

It's too much food for us. We tried the DDP in May and had already decided not to do it again. Now,if both of my grown sons were still teens living at home, I probably would get the DDP.

We've used DDP on our last four trips. There is NO way that I would purchase the new plan. Instead, we would use DDE and only eat at Table Service every other day.

This is very disappointing, and will definitely lead us to travel more frequently outside of Disney (especially at the Royal Resorts in Cancun).

I'm curious how that works out for you, from a cost perspective.

My wife and I worked the numbers and just couldn't make it "work" to be better than DDP.

You have to buy the DDE card for at least $65 (if you're an AP holder). That means, to "break even" and even START saving money, we would have had to spend $325 in TS food/drinks/alcohol. Now, we'd do that over the 6 night trip, but not enough OVER that to make it a better deal than the DDP ends up being. Our projected total was around 700 (and that was on the high side), which would mean a net savings (140 - 65) of $75 or about 10%. With the rumored DDP we're saving about 15% to 18%.

Maybe you go more than once per 1 year "term" on the card? Or go for MUCH longer trips? That would be the only thing that might make it "work" for us over the DDP.

Maybe you go more than once per 1 year "term" on the card? Or go for MUCH longer trips? That would be the only thing that might make it "work" for us over the DDP.

We use the DDE as well, in the same way we do the AP's. We go to WDW annually and book the second trip a couple weeks earlier in the year than the first one so that we get two good trips (9-10 days each) out of AP and DDE cards.

The good thing about DDE is that there is no incremental cost for larger travelling groups. This year we took friends of my children with us, and didn't have to pay anything extra to get the 20% discount on their meals as well. Over the course of two trips, the DDE saved us a ton of money.

DDP doesn't work for us since we simply don't eat that much food. Since this thread didn't ask for an opinion of DDP in general, I'll be nice and withhold those thoughts. :rolleyes1

I am not sure I would take the new dining plan if the tips are not included. Why does disney have to mess with the plan they have now....???????

We use the DDE as well, in the same way we do the AP's. We go to WDW annually and book the second trip a couple weeks earlier in the year than the first one so that we get two good trips (9-10 days each) out of AP and DDE cards.

The good thing about DDE is that there is no incremental cost for larger travelling groups. This year we took friends of my children with us, and didn't have to pay anything extra to get the 20% discount on their meals as well. Over the course of two trips, the DDE saved us a ton of money.

DDP doesn't work for us since we simply don't eat that much food. Since this thread didn't ask for an opinion of DDP in general, I'll be nice and withhold those thoughts. :rolleyes1

Yeah, I figured out exactly where the proposed DDP and the DDE seem to "meet", in savings %, and it would be about $1800 for us (360 - 65 = 295. 295/1800 = 16%). That's about 2.5 trips (6 nights each) worth of TS spending for us.

We're a family of 2A and 3C, and we don't (as yet) travel with anyone or have friends to meet down there to dine with. So the "larger parties" thing isn't a benefit right now (as the kids age, or our parents travel with us, that may change).

On the "too much food" thing.....we just a) don't order it all and b) eat at a LOT of character dinners and family style dinners. So it makes sense for US. I'm sure it's not "too much food" for other people, either. It's good that we can all make personal decisions in that regard, since nobody is going to vacation the same way, or have the same eating habits, really, as "the next guy".

Can someone please explain the DDE card to me?? I am an annual passholder too if that matters????

It's good that we can all make personal decisions in that regard, since nobody is going to vacation the same way, or have the same eating habits, really, as "the next guy".

I couldn't agree more. I can see where DDP is a great deal for many people, even after the adjustments being made. It just doesn't fit us very well.

It's kind of like DVC purchase decision. It's a good decision for some, for others it makes no sense. It's all about personal preferences, and there's no right or wrong. :)

What is the one month for AP????

Let me rewrite it:

The cost is $65 for people who have an AP. It's around $85 for Florida residents.

The "term" of the card is 1 year + 1 month (to allow for processing time).

Thanks got it now. May have to get this if they change the dining plan.........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter