Response to ADA Suit

Based on your list, Sue, I actually think there is merit in the last item-- the option to change your mind and ride something right away. On our last trip we had three instances in 6 days that we waited over an hour for a return time, only to find the ride down (twice at test track, once at mine train). We had no option to apply our wait time to another attraction, which was pretty frustrating. :confused3

Parents want immediate, unrestricted access to attractions for their child because he/she will have a meltdown if not given these accommodations? What happens outside of WDW? Are these meltdowns dangerous in some way? I would think WDW could file against the parents if the meltdowns were in any way a danger to other guests, and the parents knowingly brought their child into that situation.

Based on your list, Sue, I actually think there is merit in the last item-- the option to change your mind and ride something right away. On our last trip we had three instances in 6 days that we waited over an hour for a return time, only to find the ride down (twice at test track, once at mine train). We had no option to apply our wait time to another attraction, which was pretty frustrating. :confused3

I agree 100% that if the ride is down after that long of a wait, a paper FP or re-admit should be issued. Not just for DAS holders but for anyone.

But I don't believe anything should be done if the DAS holder changes his or her mind about what to ride.

In general, allowing a last-minute change would not be equal- someone not using a DAS waits in standby- if they change their mind, they can't apply the time they waited in standby to the next attraction.

If, however, there was a ride closure, I think that a FP should be given- if I were in the standby line and it closed, I would know that the ride closed and could wait for something else OR maybe, if actually in line, get a FP.

sorry but I disagree with the notion that you should be allowed to change your mind' on a whim.

if the ride is down, sure( and like someone else said.. for EVERYONE,not just GAS holders) but because Junior suddenly decides he no longer wants to ride, or has an attack of the hesitates? that is what the chicken exit is for and you should not be unilaterally allowed to immediately get on a different ride just because you suddenly decide you don't wanna ride the one you have just spent the last 20 minute sin line for.

if Junior makes the CHOICE to not ride, then he should be required to accept the consequences of that choice. anyone old/mature enough to decide to not ride is old /mature enough to understand the ramifications.

Regarding giving Fastpasses to guests if an attraction closes - talking to CMs, whether or not they can give Fastpasses for that attraction depends on whether they know what is wrong and how long it will take to get back up and running.

They are more likely to be able to give Fastpasses if they know the stop will be short. But, I've been told they may not know for a while if it will be a few minutes, a few hours or the rest of the day.

if Junior makes the CHOICE to not ride, then he should be required to accept the consequences of that choice. anyone old/mature enough to decide to not ride is old /mature enough to understand the ramifications.

Let's all please keep this discussion nice so that it doesn't get shut down.

Having said that, I don't agree that just because a child changes his or her mind, they understand the consequences. When my four year old changed her mind, she didn't understand that meant that the wait for something else would start over. While I agree with you that no immediate access should be granted because a guest changed his mind, I don't agree that every person understands the consequences.

Aside from the basic unfairness of allowing immediate access after leaving one line to go to another, it would be a logistical nightmare, and much more work for attraction CMs.

Regarding giving Fastpasses to guests if an attraction closes - talking to CMs, whether or not they can give Fastpasses for that attraction depends on whether they know what is wrong and how long it will take to get back up and running.

They are more likely to be able to give Fastpasses if they know the stop will be short. But, I've been told they may not know for a while if it will be a few minutes, a few hours or the rest of the day.

Makes perfect sense.

There are many reasons why someone with a DAS may "choose" not to ride. For example, we might choose to get a return time for a ride that requires a transfer. Only to have my daughter have unexpected medical events during that wait time that require she be hooked up to her ventilator or IV during her "off" time. In that case it sure would be nice if we could switch her wait time to something she could experience while hooked up to her medical equipment. I'm not going to sue Disney or say that's required, but it's frustrating that there is a lack of flexibility for kids whose medical situations sometimes require it.

There are many reasons why someone with a DAS may "choose" not to ride. For example, we might choose to get a return time for a ride that requires a transfer. Only to have my daughter have unexpected medical events during that wait time that require she be hooked up to her ventilator or IV during her "off" time. In that case it sure would be nice if we could switch her wait time to something she could experience while hooked up to her medical equipment. I'm not going to sue Disney or say that's required, but it's frustrating that there is a lack of flexibility for kids whose medical situations sometimes require it.

You can switch her wait time, but someone will have to go to the ride (in WDW) or the kiosk (DL) to have it done.

And honestly what I think would have been a reasonable solution in our case for the down rides would be for the CM to be able to somehow mark the card so that we could then start another return time, but be able to come back to use our unavailable return time later that day or the next day.

They were actively passing out FP to guests evacuating the lines in our cases. Also anyone using FP+ obviously for a replacement automatically.

Let's all please keep this discussion nice so that it doesn't get shut down.

Having said that, I don't agree that just because a child changes his or her mind, they understand the consequences. When my four year old changed her mind, she didn't understand that meant that the wait for something else would start over. While I agree with you that no immediate access should be granted because a guest changed his mind, I don't agree that every person understands the consequences.

Aside from the basic unfairness of allowing immediate access after leaving one line to go to another, it would be a logistical nightmare, and much more work for attraction CMs.

Yes - keep it nice and listen & respond respectfully.

We were explicitly not given this option. We asked.

They can't stop you from getting another wait time for a different attraction, but they aren't going to allow you to count the time you've already waited. If you received a FP (and I apologize if I misunderstood), I'm not sure what the problem was.

I can't count the number of times I've had to leave lines after a long wait because one of the kids needed to use the restroom, but I wouldn't expect for that waiting time to be applied to the wait at a different ride.

Right I know how the system works. We were not given a fast pass because the line broke down before we were actively in line. When we returned at the appropriate times we found the ride down and were not allowed to apply wait time elsewhere or given a fastpass.

They can't stop you from getting another wait time for a different attraction, but they aren't going to allow you to count the time you've already waited. If you received a FP (and I apologize if I misunderstood), I'm not sure what the problem was.

I can't count the number of times I've had to leave lines after a long wait because one of the kids needed to use the restroom, but I wouldn't expect for that waiting time to be applied to the wait at a different ride.

Right I know how the system works. We were not given a fast pass because the line broke down before we were actively in line. When we returned at the appropriate times we found the ride down and were not allowed to apply wait time elsewhere or given a fastpass.

Ah got it, sorry for misunderstanding. I agree, in that case you should have received a FP IMO, because had you been in the actual line, you would have received one.

But I don't agree anything additional should be done absent a ride breakdown.

And it was for ONLY this situation- where CMs give out FPs to those ALREADY in the standby line that I think a FP should be then for someone with a DAS card wait time for that ride (and the wait time on the DAS card gets a line through it, paralleling the impact of ride closure).

We had something similar happen with a medical problem. Once my daughter was OK, but not well enough to go back to the attraction we left, we asked if the time we had waited could be applied to another attraction. We were told no, so that's when I pulled out one of those yellow "anytime" passes. I know some people here really don't like that at all, but this kind of situation was part of the reason they were issued to us, and Disney acknowledges they give them in addition to the DAS. Like you, I wouldn't sue Disney, and I don't think it should be required. However, if they don't offer some flexibility, we just don't go anymore. So far, for the most part I feel they have worked to keep our business. It was not an easy vacation, but they did work with us.

I honestly think this is what's hard about it. There ARE many reasons why being able to transfer wait times would be helpful. And I think that it would end up causing difficulties for the CMs and possibly even the system overall.

You end up running into the territory of 'doing it for one reason you need to do it for all.' If they do it because a child needs to be hooked up to equipment, they wouldn't be able to say no to someone with autism who just 'changes their mind' because both are a part of their disability.

I think the easiest way to look at the system is that it means to help guests get the same experience as a non disabled guest. So if the answer to 'can a non disabled guest do that' is 'no' then the DAS system shouldn't either. I think there's a lot of additions that would be nice to have or change, but it doesn't mean they need to - and I think that's the difference between a few of these plaintiffs. They think it needs to be done.

You end up running into the territory of 'doing it for one reason you need to do it for all.' If they do it because a child needs to be hooked up to equipment, they wouldn't be able to say no to someone with autism who just 'changes their mind' because both are a part of their disability.

I realize I run the risk of being offensive here and getting into trouble, but there is a vast difference between needing to be hooked up to a ventilator and the need for flexibility for autism. The reasons to be acutely attached to a ventilator are immediately life threatening if ignored. The desires of a child with autism or not. The needs of a child touring the park who requires an ICU level of medical care on a daily basis are NOT the same as the needs of every other tourist with a disability. And to say that they are is actually pretty hurtful.

That doesn't mean we can't make it work or that we are not happy with the assistance that Disney provides to us, or that we will stop bringing our daughter back. I know that the current policy is to work individually with each guest's needs, but in reality the only option offered is return times with the DAS. I have never complained to Disney and have no intentions to do so, as I feel like they do more than most places where we can't even go at all. I do not demand more, but it would be nice if someone could recognize that there really are different needs for different guests and the DAS, while helpful, does not even the playing field for all cases.

think the easiest way to look at the system is that it means to help guests get the same experience as a non disabled guest. So if the answer to 'can a non disabled guest do that' is 'no' then the DAS system shouldn't either. I think there's a lot of additions that would be nice to have or change, but it doesn't mean they need to - and I think that's the difference between a few of these plaintiffs. They think it needs to be done.

If my daughter could have the same experience on any single day as a non-disabled guest then I would be ecstatic. Honestly I am ecstatic every day that she gets to have experiences at all. My daughter will never have a single day in her life that is "equal" to a non-disabled guest, and honestly will never have a day that is "equal" to most disabled guests. It really stings that so many people think a card with return times would provide that. If only it were that simple. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter