Report From Vero Beach

Doug Wolfe

Beach Club Villas/DVC Owner Since 2002
Hi... Just got back from another great trip to Disney's Vero Beach Resort. This is the second year we have gone to VB and it was top notch.

VB is for those who enjoy vacations on the ocean that are relaxing without the hustle & bustle of the theme parks. We spent the week at the pool and on the beach swimming & reading books. We had a great two bedroom villa (Room 1232).

My only suggestion for Disney would be to work in some sort of insect spraying program. It's Florida, and naturally there are a ton of bugs, but this year the No See Um's were brutal. I heard a lot of complaining from people throughout the week about bites. I was using "Cutter" with Deet and they were still on the attack all day long especially at the pool. Anyway, just a thought.

Again, a great vacation. On a scale of 1-10, it was a 10. :beach:

Glad you had a great trip....

I wonder if Disney sprays at the beach.
Kerri

We stayed there last summer for the first time and loved it! Our only complaint was that there aren't many options outside of the resort for eating. As long as you are prepared for that, it is a great place to relax!!
We didn't have a big problem with bugs last year except for the campfire sing along. The mosquitos were so bad that we had to leave. We still had an awesome time and definitely want to go back!

DH and I returned last night from a GREAT week at Vero Beach. The week was great, lots of turtle activity, and we even saw a green turtle laying her eggs by moonlight. It was such a thrill. We saw rangers marking nests, and one little baby loggerhead on its way to the water! It was awesome!

I agree, the no-see-ums were brutal, especially on the beach at night, but I didn't notice any problem by the pool. Disney does not spray at Vero Beach, because it harms the environment, I assume. The place is definitely environmentally friendly.

We had a nice one-bedroom (1443) and cooked in most nights. Publix is a terrific grocery store. There are several outside dining options, though. The pizza place next door is very good. Captain Hiram's in Sebastian, on Rte. 1 has great sea food (the crab soup is awesome). Across the street from Hiram's is Squid Lips, also good. The resort provides a list of recommendations, with price ranges.

It was a terrific vacation, which I highly recommend to anyone who wants to relax. Just bring the sunscreen and bug spray!!!

Cathy:cool1:

Glad to hear folks had a great time on the beach! Even at WDW, Disney seems to go light on any bug control that is not natural/eco-friendly. Those no see'ums are nasty -- wish they could/would zap 'em

Did anyone notice if they've started any construction next to the resort? It sounds like there's a glut of new properties on the Treasure Coast and I know of at least one project that was abandoned for now. Just curious whether they went forward with the condo project next door.

I love to read reports on VB! Glad you both had a great time. I'm sorry to read about bugs...sometimes at Cape May, NJ, or Wildwood beaches, we're bugged by green headed flies....why oh why dos there have to be biting pests????

I'm glad to read about the turtles that are hatching!!! One recent year, the hurricanes came before the turtles hatched, and just about a whole year of babies were lost!

Bobbi

DH and I just stayed one night :sad: ;) at Vero -- last night. (Studio - 2 adults)
Our first time there and it was great. :woohoo:
Loved that we could use the DDE too. :yay:
I was surprised at how small the gift shop area was. It would have been nice to have had another store along the lines of what they have at WL or Contemp. (Although it would not need to be as large.)

There were a lot of us at VB at the same or close to the same time as we just returned yesterday. Our first time at VB and the kids loved it. The bugs were a bummer but didn't ruin the trip. We were in an ocean view room at the inn and will try for a 1bdrm next time.

Didn't love the food at Shutters more due to price than taste but other than that we had a great time. The staff were all very nice and helpful. I'm sure we all saw each other at the pool and to those of you who raced in the slide races on Thursday... sorry I took the crown with my 8.55 second run! LOL Isn't gravity great!

I did have an ADR this morning for the buffet. It was later than I wanted. So we cancelled that and just had breakfast ala cart.
Got what we wanted and it was literally half the cost of the buffet. We did not see what the buffet had to offer. But at $23.99 pp it had better be good. ;) And we generally are not big breakfast eaters.
Shutter's prices I did not think was out of line. And the food was really good. I selected Shutters over Sonya's because the smoked wood cooking sound good. And it was. Their food was all delish! Much better than we expected.
The DDE was certainly a very nice touch too. :thumbsup2

I'm sure we all saw each other at the pool and to those of you who raced in the slide races on Thursday... sorry I took the crown with my 8.55 second run! LOL Isn't gravity great!

That's a great time. The best time when we were in VB a few weeks ago was just under 9. 8.55 is moving!! Must've made quite a splash. :)

I wouldn't say I'm small is size. Not a physics major but gravity can help a larger mass move faster at least thats what I'm going with. First time I'd ever been timed down it. Had just finished a margarita and asked my DS (7) if he wanted to do it. Asked the CM what the time to beat was and she said 8.74. So off I went. My DS who will NOT lay down timed in right above 20 sec... LOL I thought he had fell off until I finally saw him splash down. I'm sure my ride wasn't a pretty site but at least in this competition size equaled speed. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter