Renting cheap points instead of using your own at <7 months. Am I missing something?

One of these days, DVC is going to set up a direct exchange system and not only profit from the bid-ask of an exchange, but soak up all the rental points off the market and kill its rental competition.

Something along the lines of professional sports teams allowing ticket resales on their websites to kill off scalpers.

1.Start at 10 months to give a true month long home window.

2. Between 10-7 months, owners can trade with other owners in a pool for home resort advantage at a 10% premium. I give the pool 110 BLT points for 100 BCV points.

3. Whatever points are left after the 7 month window opens essentially belong to DVC to rent out. So. Even if more people would trade in SSR and OKW for Poly and BWV, doesn't matter. Everybody gets something at the point of trade and DVC captures the 10% balance at 7 months.

Worse case scenario, the program could charge a higher bid-ask spread for less popular home resort priority trades.

I think such a system would hold some profit in its own right, but soaking up points in a home resort exchange program would kill the rental market. That's why the sport teams allow resellers on their site. Sure, they probably make a commission on sales. But they do it to kill off the side markets.

I like the opportunity cost factored in :). I've calculated how much it is per point for my points, but never factored in the opportunity costs. Given this calculation, my BLT points are worth less than my BWV points (bc of the number of years left on the contract).

I paid way less pp for my BWV contract, but each point is worth way more on a year by year basis!

I wish today's value on BLT was $110. The average for the last recording period was $137. If you look on the current resale exchanges the typical ask is in the low $140's. Don't know if it lasts but that's today's value... The math even with the higher price still beats $12/point to rent though.
WHAT? Is it really $140pp for a BLT resale!??!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter