Rain Tips

I'm headed to WDW this weekend for MNSSHP on Friday and the parks Sat/Sun. I know it's hurricane season and that it rains almost every day in Orlando, but this weekend looks like a total rainout at the moment. I have all the ponchos, umbrella, raincoat, etc - but I'm trying to figure out how to approach the weekend and not get bummed out. Any tips or guidance folks would share?

I've been during September before - but the weather didn't look as poor as it does for this weekend and trying to figure out how to stay excited when my fav rides are ones that would likely be closed. I love a lot of indoor rides - and I'll make the most of it - but just hoping for some positive tips!

Thank you in advance!

Follow up question - does anyone know if Tron closes if there's lightning - or is it considered an indoor ride because it's covered?

Follow up question - does anyone know if Tron closes if there's lightning - or is it considered an indoor ride because it's covered?
Tron doesn’t shut down for lightning thanks to the canopy.

Fun fact: Safari at AK also operates during lightning.

two of our favorite park visits happened during down pours. one spring break we went to animal kingdom when it rained heavy all day. the park was rated a 10 on touring plans and ended up no waits on all rides all day (touring plans said the actual was an 8 after the fact which was odd since we actually experienced it). The other was in Hollywood Studios, it started raining around noon and the park completely cleared out. We grabbed some ponchos and stuck it out until the park closed which we rarely do there.

Last edited:

We got our disposable ponchos on Amazon and they had drawstrings on the hoods and long sleeves with elastic cuffs. Having both of those things kept us dry.

We also always pack newspaper. If you stuff it in wet sneakers, it absorbs the water really quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter