Rain Tips

We LOVE LOVE a day with some heavy rain. The sweet spot seems to be mid afternoon. Why? By then, people have been there all day and will leave in droves. And the rain has never lasted all that long. Just make sure you take a poncho or two (the disposable dollar kind), because Disney is delighted to bring out their plastic raincoats that are so expensive is feels like price gouging.

Either find an indoor retreat, or walk around with your rain gear, and watch everyone leave. Then the rain will go away (it always does) and enjoy your leisurely late afternoon and evening at the park.

Skip the whole socks/sneakers thing - get waterproof sandals (as others have said). Umbrellas to me are way better than ponchos, which rip, get in the way and create their own humid ecosystem underneath. GO in the rain, many will leave and you will benefit!

I’ll be there too! I will say a few years ago we had a trip booked over Memorial Day weekend and there was supposed to be enough rain for flooding and it didn’t rain once. So keep your fingers crossed!!

I feel like with Florida and Disney rain is always in the forecast during the summer... but a lot of those days tend to be sunny with a quick passing possible shower. Does this seem right? I remember that being the case that you can't really trust the late Spring/summer Orlando forecast because it changes on the wim!

Buy a newspaper and stuff your wet shoes with it over night, they will be dry by morning! We got this time from another guest during a very rainy trip we had, it works!

Other than that, non slip sandals/crocs are great too

Agree with the others. Bring rain shoes like keens or water proof sandals. One year we bought rain covers for our tennis shoes (see link). They worked okay...
We prefer the ponchos/rain coat that button in the front. They are much easily to manage than the traditional over the head poncho.

Another thing to consider.. if you wear a poncho, make sure your clothing/shorts can fit under the poncho. For example, if I wear capris and it is raining hard. I put on my poncho and roll up my pant legs so that they are covered by the poncho (and don't get wet) 🌦️

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Ant...cphy=9052566&hvtargid=pla-1187250796042&psc=1

We LOVE LOVE a day with some heavy rain. The sweet spot seems to be mid afternoon. Why? By then, people have been there all day and will leave in droves. And the rain has never lasted all that long. Just make sure you take a poncho or two (the disposable dollar kind), because Disney is delighted to bring out their plastic raincoats that are so expensive is feels like price gouging.

Either find an indoor retreat, or walk around with your rain gear, and watch everyone leave. Then the rain will go away (it always does) and enjoy your leisurely late afternoon and evening at the park.
How much are ponchos or umbrellas at DHS? Has anyone seen the Star Wars $100 ponchos in Batuu recently?

I feel like with Florida and Disney rain is always in the forecast during the summer... but a lot of those days tend to be sunny with a quick passing possible shower. Does this seem right? I remember that being the case that you can't really trust the late Spring/summer Orlando forecast because it changes on the wim!
We used to joke that you can tell time in Florida by the rain - downpour at 4. Last August, we had rain in the forecast every day for a week and only had rain once. The thunderstorms are also very localized. It might be pouring in Epcot and sunny in MK.

of course the forecast is showing rain all the days of my trip :) LOL
besides ponchos, any tips or must haves for parks in the rain?
Wear rapid dry clothes, pack socks in ziplock bags, and forget the ponchos. Just get wet. You’ll be dry again 15 minutes after the rain stops.

Take an umbrella and prepare to get either a little wet or a lot wet. I long for the good old days when if it was going to rain I could take a day off from the parks and do something else. Then go the next day, but with the park reservation system that becomes a real chore.

BTW, the worst time for the rain is at night when you can't see the clouds coming in. You get very wet at that point.

We used to joke that you can tell time in Florida by the rain - downpour at 4. Last August, we had rain in the forecast every day for a week and only had rain once. The thunderstorms are also very localized. It might be pouring in Epcot and sunny in MK.
The original thread is 6 months old but this post got me. Last year was very dry through the whole monsoon season. Lucky for park goers but terrible for those of us who live here. We are in a drought now and have water restrictions (I'm in Polk County but we aren't the only ones). We sure need the rain now, but when it gets this bad typically a hurricane is needed to fill stuff back up. Best of luck to the park goers, but I got to be honest, doing a rain dance for this year! :cool1:

And that's EXACTLY what happened. Only one brief 20 min rain shower the entire week, even though the forecast had rain everyday. :smooth:

of course the forecast is showing rain all the days of my trip :) LOL
besides ponchos, any tips or must haves for parks in the rain?
I'm the anti poncho crowd. There's nothing worse than cruising around in a poncho while it's raining and hot out so I prefer an umbrella. We have a few small ones and they're so much more comfortable and you don't get pelted in the face by rain drops. Ponchos aren't horrible but they're like walking greenhouses and it's gross. If you can, get a reflecting umbrella so you can also use it for shade if needed.

I wear sanuks which I know a lot of people can't do flip flops or sandals at the parks but if you can, it's so much better to not have wet sneakers on all day since sandals dry so quickly. If you know it's going to rain, at least pack them so you can try to keep your sneakers dryish.

I'm the anti poncho crowd. There's nothing worse than cruising around in a poncho while it's raining and hot out so I prefer an umbrella. We have a few small ones and they're so much more comfortable and you don't get pelted in the face by rain drops. Ponchos aren't horrible but they're like walking greenhouses and it's gross. If you can, get a reflecting umbrella so you can also use it for shade if needed.

I wear sanuks which I know a lot of people can't do flip flops or sandals at the parks but if you can, it's so much better to not have wet sneakers on all day since sandals dry so quickly. If you know it's going to rain, at least pack them so you can try to keep your sneakers dryish.
I'm also in the anti-poncho crowd. I prefer a rain coat that fits me without flapping all over the place and just getting everything else wet like a poncho does. :)

And that's EXACTLY what happened. Only one brief 20 min rain shower the entire week, even though the forecast had rain everyday. :smooth:
I have never been to WDW in May but for all of our June trips over the years, the forecast called for rain every day. We usually got a 20 minute T-storm in the late afternoon every day and then beautiful after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter