PTR - East Coast and US and WDW Nov-Dec 14

FireflyFi

My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
I'm starting to get a little concerned about how much I still need to organise in just a little over six months, so why not write it out in a PTR? :goodvibes

So, it will just be me this time, touring for just on a month. The longest trip I've ever taken. I've never even been away from work for more than three weeks, so this is quite a big deal heh.

Itinerary is looking something like this:

13/11
Fly MEL to LAX on Qantas, depart 11:20, arrive 6:40 - Booked
I've already secured my seat in one of the two seater rows in the upstairs economy :thumbsup2
Fly LAX to BOS on Delta, depart 9:40, arrive 18:09 - Booked
Fingers crossed there's enough LAX buffer here. The other non stop option from LAX to BOS got in at around 10pm, so I'm willing to take the risk.​

13-19/11
Stay in Boston - still to book
I'm really struggling with this one. I want to stay in the North End to be close to the major tourist attractions and restaurants, etc, but I can't believe how expensive Boston accommodation is! I'm usually one to search every corner of the internet and come up with something that is decent, in a good area, and at a reasonable price. Not so for Boston.

I've got a few options in mind
- hold out and book something on a last minute website. Won't really save me money, but I could book 4 or 5 star for about 2 or 3 star prices.
- book a BNB or AirBNB apartment / room. Again, in the area I'm looking this isn't really much cheaper. And most of the apartments are on the 3rd or 4th floor of a walkup, which will get very tiresome after multiple days!
- I've recently discovered Bricco. http://www.bricco.com/suites/ Still not cheap, but looks very nice and gives me room to spread out and a bit of a kitchen to make use of. I'm thinking if I can come across a Hotel Club discount or similar that I can apply to this hotel, I will probably end up booking this one.

Boston Plans
I haven't looked too much into this, but as a general idea lots of walking around looking at the historical sites. With five full days I might do a day trip or two out to Salem, Lexington, Concord and Plymouth.

19-22/11
Hire car and drive to Newport - still to book
Stay in Newport - still to book
There are lots of cute BNB's in Newport. I don't normally look for BNB's, but Newport kinda has that small town vibe that makes me think staying at a big hotel would feel out of place. A couple of options I'm looking at:
http://www.springstreetinn.com/
http://www.victorianladies.com/

Newport Plans
I was originally only going to have two full days in Newport, 20-21/11, to check out the mansions. A little while ago I checked out the website www.newportmansions.org and found that they start opening the houses all decorated for Christmas on the 22nd. And I'm a sucker for Christmas decorations, so the plan had to change :laughing:

22-25/11
Drive to and stay in Philadelphia - still to book
I'll probably stay here http://www.phillydowntownhotel.com/location.aspx

Philadelphia Plans
More walking around checking out sites.

25-28/11
Drive to and stay in Washington - still to book
Looking to stay here http://www.affinia.com/Washington-DC-Hotel.aspx?name=Liaison-Capitol-Hill

Washington Plans
Even more walking around checking out sites. I'm still figuring out whether I give the car back as soon as I arrive in Washington, or keep it until I leave for Orlando. Apparently there is a Thanksgiving Day parade in Washington, but I haven't found a lot of info on it so far. Will need to keep checking as the date gets closer.

28/11
Fly DCA to MCO - still to book
Stay somewhere close to US - still to book
I haven't decided on the timing of this flight. I don't really have a lot of days in Washington, so I'm tossing up either a late flight into MCO or an afternoon flight and then dinner at Citywalk, stay somewhere close and cheap (Doubletree maybe) and then check in to RPH the next day super early.​

29/11-2/12
Stay at RPH - booked
It's still very much in my head that I'd love to stay at HRH, given I have already stayed at RPH, but I got such a good rate at RPH that I don't think I can switch without it costing me a whole lot more.

This is Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm expecting US to be very busy. But I am still very excited about this section of the trip. Maybe even more excited than the WDW section :duck: I find myself dreaming about walking to the park, seeing the new Simpsons section, not to mention the new HP section :wizard: checking out Citywalk (didn't really see it two years ago) and trying a lot more restaurants. Ahhhhh, those thoughts will carry me through many a day between now and then :love:

One thing I've found disappointing about US - there are no Christmas decorations or events at this time of year! So surprising, as even US Osaka had Christmas decorations going up when I was there early November last year. Even the Macy's parade balloons that they ship in don't arrive for another week.

2-12/12
Stay at BCV - booked.
I managed to rent points and book a studio at exactly 11 months out :banana: I originally wanted BWV, but I think I'm happier that it was BCV that came through. Not sure how warm it will be at that time of year, but I'm hoping there's at least one day where I can play in that pool everyone raves about haha

I haven't really planned out my days here yet. The park schedule hasn't been released yet, although I hear the previous year's schedule is a good guide. I hope to do a Christmas party one night, and then as a vague idea, two days each park. I've at least started a list of food places I want to try, and categorised the meal time. So far I have three breakfasts, 12 lunches and eight dinners. And that's just from the restaurants / cafes in the parks! So I may need to whittle that list down :rotfl:

12/12
Fly MCO to LAX - still to book
Fly LAX to MEL - booked

The flight out of LAX doesn't leave until 23:30, so if I'm feeling dangerous, I could spend the day at a WDW park / DTD / hotel pool and catch a flight at around 5pm at the latest.

So, in list of priority I need to do this:
- book remaining flights (DCL-MCO, MCO-LAX)
- book remaining accommodation (Boston, Philadelphia, Newport, Washington, Orlando)
- buy US tickets
- buy WDW tickets
- buy ESTA (my current one expires at the end of this month :()
- hire car

And in between all that, start actually planning days! I have a feeling this six months is going to go really quick! ( I shouldn't complain about that, huh? :cutie:)

WOW Fi! That's a great trip. Happy planning!

Yes, Boston accommodation is not cheap. I found it as expensive as NYC because of the 'limited' supply. Everything is walkabout and if not, their subway system is very good. So, if you don't find something in North End, it'll be fine. We stayed with a work colleague of DH's so I can't recommend any accommodation, although we did stay one night at one of the airport hotels because we had an early flight out.

I would also look at Cape Cod and/or Nantucket; but you could maybe look at those from Newport.

I liked Salem....just make sure all the attractions are still opened at that time of year. The one that was unexpectedly good there was the House of the Seven Gables.

When I first started thinking this trip through a year ago, I had NY on the list. Then when a work colleague came back with stories of Newport, I quickly switched (NY was part of the trip two years ago, so I'd rather see somewhere new). When I was looking at NY back then I could find good accommodation that was reasonably priced for a single person, which is why I was so surprised at Boston. But I guess you're right, it's a supply issue.

I did find an interesting looking hotel out in Jamaica (a suburb / area of Boston) and I'm very much a feet and public transport traveller, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable catching a subway alone at night. And at that time of year, the days are short, so would limit my touring opps.

Thanks for the tips on Nantucket and Cape Cod :) and on Salem, I know what you mean. From what I've read so far, it sounds like October is a big month for them (with Halloween and all) and I'll probably miss all the good night time tours by about a week or so :(

Sounds like a very busy and exciting trip :thumbsup2 It sounds like you are travelling by yourself, it that correct? If so I am in awe as I would never have the courage to do what you are doing by myself, heck I won't even do any of the driving over there.

Sounds like loads of fun. I'm no help with Boston either. We had plans to visit there on a non-Disney trip but after looking at prices it worked out cheaper to stay at the Poly including passes, so our non-Disney trip quickly turned into a Disney trip! Hope you can find something that ticks all the boxes. I'd probably ditch the car in DC, we walked everywhere with no issues (well the trek from Georgetown back to our hotel near the White House want fun in the unexpected heat but we survived).

DH's work colleague lives in Newton; which is kinda along the same plane as Jamaica Plains. We drove in to the city and parked under the Boston Common during the days we were there.

But if you're travelling alone, it probably is better to be in the city.

Although....now that I think about it.....have you looked into whether there are any accommodation options available at Harvard? There might be some short-term accommodations near there.

Your plans sound awesome. There's little advice I can provide as I haven't been to many of those locations, but I'm looking forward to following along with your plans.

Sounds like a very busy and exciting trip :thumbsup2 It sounds like you are travelling by yourself, it that correct? If so I am in awe as I would never have the courage to do what you are doing by myself, heck I won't even do any of the driving over there.

Yep, it's just me :)

The friends that I went with last time can't afford to go again so soon. And then there was another friend who wanted to go, but in the end couldn't. Before she found that she couldn't come I asked her to join me on a trip to Cairns over the Easter / ANZAC Day week as a sorta trial run (we've never traveled together before) and...well...let's just say I'm glad this is a solo trip :snooty::rotfl:

As for the driving - I've had a lot of experience driving on the right hand side of the road in videogames hehe. I think my brain should switch over pretty quickly (as long as it doesn't also go at the same speed and take the same risks I do in games, though!) :drive:

Sounds like loads of fun. I'm no help with Boston either. We had plans to visit there on a non-Disney trip but after looking at prices it worked out cheaper to stay at the Poly including passes

Wow! :scared:

so our non-Disney trip quickly turned into a Disney trip!

Nice :woohoo:

Hope you can find something that ticks all the boxes. I'd probably ditch the car in DC, we walked everywhere with no issues (well the trek from Georgetown back to our hotel near the White House want fun in the unexpected heat but we survived).

Yes, I'm determined to find exactly the right hotels every time lol

And thanks for the tip on the car. Sometime soon I'll actually map out the places I want to go and just double check that I don't need it, but I'd rather get rid of it as soon as I can.

DH's work colleague lives in Newton; which is kinda along the same plane as Jamaica Plains. We drove in to the city and parked under the Boston Common during the days we were there.

But if you're travelling alone, it probably is better to be in the city.

Although....now that I think about it.....have you looked into whether there are any accommodation options available at Harvard? There might be some short-term accommodations near there.

Jamaica Plains, that's the place :) It was this one I was actually looking at http://envision-hotel-boston.com/

I haven't really looked around Harvard. Just checked the map now, and it is about 30 minutes away from the North End by public transport. I'm guessing it would be a beautiful area to be in, but a hassle to get out of day after day.

Another option is the Back Bay area. Hopefully my patience holds out for a deal more central :)

Your plans sound awesome. There's little advice I can provide as I haven't been to many of those locations, but I'm looking forward to following along with your plans.

Thanks :) I'll try and keep this updated on a reasonably regular basis haha (and I'll also try and figure out the multi quote :P)

Yep, it's just me :)

The friends that I went with last time can't afford to go again so soon. And then there was another friend who wanted to go, but in the end couldn't. Before she found that she couldn't come I asked her to join me on a trip to Cairns over the Easter / ANZAC Day week as a sorta trial run (we've never traveled together before) and...well...let's just say I'm glad this is a solo trip :snooty::rotfl:

As for the driving - I've had a lot of experience driving on the right hand side of the road in videogames hehe. I think my brain should switch over pretty quickly (as long as it doesn't also go at the same speed and take the same risks I do in games, though!) :drive:

Your trip sounds amazing, would of loved to go to all those places.

Good thing you did the trial trip (such a good idea by the way!) at least now you can do everything that you want to do and dont have to worry about pleasing anyone else :)

Jamaica Plains, that's the place :) It was this one I was actually looking at http://envision-hotel-boston.com/

I haven't really looked around Harvard. Just checked the map now, and it is about 30 minutes away from the North End by public transport. I'm guessing it would be a beautiful area to be in, but a hassle to get out of day after day.

Another option is the Back Bay area. Hopefully my patience holds out for a deal more central :)

That hotel looks nice.

Harvard is relatively easy to get in and out of. It might take 30 minutes but there will always be someone on public transport to late in the night.

Have you looked at some of the youth hostels as an alternative? Some of them might be quite reasonable and (because of Havard and MIT), Boston is such a university town that the hostels tend to be clean.

AWESOME plans! That is exactly how I would like to do the east coast when I finally get there :thumbsup2

Although I'm not going on my own, I'll also be away for nearly a month on my upcoming trip, and it IS a long time! I know it seems to be the norm for these boards :rotfl: but most of my trips are in the 2-3 week range.

PrincessInOz said:
Have you looked at some of the youth hostels as an alternative? Some of them might be quite reasonable and (because of Havard and MIT), Boston is such a university town that the hostels tend to be clean.

I had a look the other night. I don't like the idea of sharing with strangers. I'm an introvert (the Myers Briggs definition) and I need my time away from people at the end of the day to decompress :)

So I had a look at the single rooms at the HI (Hostel International?) And it was $200 a night!! Pffft I can find somewhere nicer for that amount.

zanzibar138 said:
AWESOME plans! That is exactly how I would like to do the east coast when I finally get there :thumbsup2

Although I'm not going on my own, I'll also be away for nearly a month on my upcoming trip, and it IS a long time! I know it seems to be the norm for these boards :rotfl: but most of my trips are in the 2-3 week range.

One of the advantages of traveling alone is the quiet nights means I like to post live updates. And when I say 'advantages' I mean for all you out there reading along :P so, if it interests you, I can make a point of giving regular updates when I finally get there :)

Yep, I'm the same on my holiday lengths. When I was in the US for the first time I was well ready to come home at the three week mark. I'm hoping I'll be having too much fun this time around to notice! Will this be your first time away for so long?

One of the advantages of traveling alone is the quiet nights means I like to post live updates. And when I say 'advantages' I mean for all you out there reading along :P so, if it interests you, I can make a point of giving regular updates when I finally get there :)

Yep, I'm the same on my holiday lengths. When I was in the US for the first time I was well ready to come home at the three week mark. I'm hoping I'll be having too much fun this time around to notice! Will this be your first time away for so long?

There are soooo many advantages to traveling solo :thumbsup2 Don't get me wrong, I love to travel with DH, but I'm really looking forward to my few days of solo traveling at the beginning and end of my trip.

Yep, this will be my longest trip yet! I'm pretty sure I'll be having way too much fun to think about going home :banana:

And I'm with you on the hostels too. Far too much out of my comfort zone! I don't mind so much sharing a bathroom, but I definitely want my own bedroom please! And if it's that expensive for a private room, then it's really of no benefit.

I had a look the other night. I don't like the idea of sharing with strangers. I'm an introvert (the Myers Briggs definition) and I need my time away from people at the end of the day to decompress :)

So I had a look at the single rooms at the HI (Hostel International?) And it was $200 a night!! Pffft I can find somewhere nicer for that amount.

WOW! That is highway robbery.

Sounds like a great trip.

In regard to Boston accommodation it can be hard, but I strongly recommend looking at the hotels around the airport as the subway from there is quick and cheap.

Thanks for the encouragement, all :goodvibes

I actually got a little good news today. After a tough couple of weeks struggling through a busy time of year dealing with people who seemed to come up with any excuse not to come to work, I actually had a surprise small pay rise. It's not going to change my world, but it makes the important things, like booking holidays, that little bit easier :rotfl:

I think I've still got my heart set on Bricco for Boston. I've noticed on their website that their reservations system has a promo code field, and yet they don't have a newsletter that you can sign up to (the obvious way to make codes available). They also don't seem to offer deals to bookings (from booking early or booking an extended stay). So, when I'm about ready to pull the trigger, I might send them an email and see if they can make me a deal ;)

And then for the last few days I've been reading up on all sorts of WDW info. I've been reading up since coming back two years, and I still feel like I don't know enough. In particular, I was reading the afternoon plans for each of the parks on Easy WDW and there were so many options I hadn't considered. The characters...so many to choose from! And the rides...there are some I'm not even familiar with (The Great Movie Ride...? :confused:) And the shows? I have no idea! I can only think of one way to deal with this - spreadsheets. Lists of everything available, marking the things I want to see, scheduling them in. I'm pretty sure that's the only way my brain is going to be able to understand all of this information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter